8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » f1.0 lens for the Eumig938

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: f1.0 lens for the Eumig938
Oskar Jalink
Junior

- posted August 28, 2006 07:35 AM      Profile for Oskar Jalink   Email Oskar Jalink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have read several reviews on the Eumig 938 and the pro's and con's on the standard lens.
The f1.0 seems to be the better option for this projecor. I don't have a clue however as to the availability of this lens, costs, looks and adjustment. Im am a newbe on the subject, so every information is welcome.

--------------------
Oskar supports ZombAid

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 28, 2006 08:24 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is one available for sale at http://www.super8film.at/en_sonstiges.htm ... this guy is based in Austria, sells on eBay as well and seems to have a good reputation. Scroll down the page a bit and look for the Eumig Suprovar 1:1.0/18-28mm - that's the one you want. BTW, I have heard nothing but good things about it. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Oskar Jalink
Junior

- posted August 29, 2006 06:40 AM      Profile for Oskar Jalink   Email Oskar Jalink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip.
Price is a little cheaper (less costly rather) than I had expected.
Now to find a budget... When was my birthday again?

--------------------
Oskar supports ZombAid

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted August 29, 2006 08:51 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure but I don't think you can use that lens on all Eumigs. I remember reading that you couldn't mount that one on the 900 series machines.
But I might be wrong..! [Roll Eyes]

Dalida Jalink
Junior

- posted August 29, 2006 11:59 AM      Profile for Dalida Jalink   Email Dalida Jalink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan, after reading Paul Adsetts review of the Eumig s938 we thought he was talking about this lens type.

quote:
When I use my 938 I put in a much better quality f1.0 lens which moves the optical performance of this projector much closer to the 200 watt Elmo GS1200 in terms of screen brightness and image quality.
We assumed he was talking about a Eumig lens, but maybe we were wrong

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 29, 2006 02:44 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dalida,
No I do not use a Eumig lens on my S938. The lens I use is a fixed focus (non-zoom) Kodak Ektar 20mm f1.0 lens, which I got off an old Kodak M100 S8 sound projector. I had to machine the lens barrel down slightly to fit it into the 938. This lens is the best lens I have ever seen. Being non-zoom (less glass) it has superb contrast and needle sharp definition across the whole frame. It transforms the optical performance of the 938.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 29, 2006 07:10 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I don't recall anything about the Suprovar not fitting the 938 projector, but maybe the seller knows, and/or offers a return policy (in case you want to just go ahead and try it out).

Wouldn't mind one of them Kodak lenses, myself... drool.

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2006 02:48 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Oskar and Dalida
You will find that Eumig basically made two types of lens barrels for their projectors from the 600 to 900 series machines. One type of lens barrel has a screw thread to enable focussing by twisting the lens clockwise or anti clockwise on the projector. The F1.0 lens you mention is of this type and is only suitable for use in the earlier Eumig projectors that do not have a focus knob mechanism. The other type of lens made by Eumig has a small protruding pip on the side that fits into the projector's focus knob mechanism. If you fit the F1.0 lens you mentioned to the 938 the lens will loosely physically fit as it has the same barrel diameter but it will not engage with the 938 focus knob mechanism so accurate focussing will not be possible. This is why although the F1.0 is an excellent lens it does not sell very quickly due to being compatible only with the earlier screw thread / no focus knob Eumig models. I own a Eumig F1.0 lens and a Eumig F1.2 lens so if you would like a photo uploaded to show the differences side by side please let me know. Also if you do a search for 'EUMIG SUPROGON 1.1 lens' you will find this subject was discussed a while ago when another forum member was contemplating the purchase of a similar lens. The best lens you can fit to the Eumig 938 without modifying the lens or focus mechanism is the excellent F1.2 lens usually found on the Eumig 824 or 810 Lux machines.
Kevin

Oskar Jalink
Junior

- posted August 30, 2006 04:02 AM      Profile for Oskar Jalink   Email Oskar Jalink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kevin, pictures are most welcome, since we really don't know what we are looking for.

--------------------
Oskar supports ZombAid

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2006 06:03 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Kevin, the F1:2 that came as standard on my Eumig 824 is a cracking lens. This lens produces a nice even sharp focus across the whole projection area with a good light output as well.

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Oskar Jalink
Junior

- posted August 30, 2006 06:39 AM      Profile for Oskar Jalink   Email Oskar Jalink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It feels a bit strange to me to keep an eye open for an Eumig 824 just to strip it down for it's lens...
I'm sure certain members of this forum will think that’s a sort of blasphemy [Big Grin]

--------------------
Oskar supports ZombAid

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted August 30, 2006 07:36 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought one on Ebay for $49. The lens was good but the machine sadly didn't work. So the seller took it back and then it sold again for $35. With the good lens.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 30, 2006 07:44 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The site quoted by Jan above also offers the 1.2 lens for 49 Euros + post. You might eventually find one for less, but I'd say it's worth buying at that price.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Oskar Jalink
Junior

- posted August 31, 2006 01:53 AM      Profile for Oskar Jalink   Email Oskar Jalink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Adrian,

do you mean the

EUMIG SUPROGON
1,2/12,5-25mm
for Eumig Projector
of the 800er Serie
49,- euro

Are you sure this lens will be compattible with the focus-control as used on the 938? Then it might be worth the try indeed!

--------------------
Oskar supports ZombAid

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2006 04:11 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Oskar.
Please see below my picture of three Eumig lenses as promised.
 -
The left lens is the same as your current 938 lens which has a pip to engage with the focus knob on the projector. The middle lens is the Suprogon 1.2 / 12.5mm to 25mm found on the Eumig 824 and as Adrian says is for sale on the website in the previous post. I have tried this lens in a 938 this morning and although it fits into the focus mechanism it has a smaller pip and no plastic block to locate with the 938 spring tension mechanism so the lens is still too loose to focus correctly. The lens to the right is the Eumig Suprovar F1.0 18mm to 28mm which as you can see has a screw thread / no pip, and when I tried it in the 938 it was not possible to get it close enough to the gate due the the wider barrel width near the zoom ring.
So in conclusion the F1.2 Supragon is the closest fit but you would need to somehow make and fit a larger / wider pip and plastic block to match that of your current lens for it to work. The Eumig 940 originally came fitted with a F1.2 lens so they do exist for your machine - hopefully someone may have one for sale from a 940 that may otherwise be beyond repair? Sorry this is not the news you wanted but at least you have not spent money on lenses that won't fit or work with your projector.
Perhaps Paul might be able to upload a picture of his modified Kodak lens fitted to his 938 to give some idea of how to modify a lens to fit to your projector?
Kevin

Oskar Jalink
Junior

- posted September 06, 2006 07:16 AM      Profile for Oskar Jalink   Email Oskar Jalink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

a great many thanks for the info! I'm really learning here!

I should have known though that in these sorts of hobby's (collecting/reparing) easy solutions are hard to find.

On the other hand, if things would run smooth all the time it wouldn't be a longlasting hobby. I mean, if you're ready then your just, well...ready. Isn't it?

I'll keep an eye open (well, two pares to be exact).

--------------------
Oskar supports ZombAid

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC