8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Professional works from the old era

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Professional works from the old era
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 12, 2009 08:52 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just received parcel from an old man in the USA who offered his Walt Disney collections. When he showed his WD cover I am sure that they were silent movies. The reason was based on my experience that these 3 reels were never seen in sound version. Moreover the black label on the bottom side was well-known as silent version.

-

But he assured me that they were sound. I asked how could these silent films had sound. He said that his friend striped the film and re-recorded the sound long time ago.

I was no so sure about this but since they were so cheap, I decided to buy. When I received them, I could see that they were home striped as there was only main strip. But to my surprise was the ability of the person to re-record these movies to the standard that I could not hear the difference.

I don't know what sources were used to re-record this but I am satisfied with the result.

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2009 02:51 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good steal! Congratulations!

How's the color? Even if faded, these would be fun.

I have a standard 8 "Trick or Treat" in mag sound struck in 1968. The picture quality is amazingly pin sharp, but the color is bad, as you would expect.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 13, 2009 03:42 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, I always proud with the USA lab result in terms of sharpness... Yes it is very sharp, especially the "Good Scout" which is B?W.

But for the color you may have guessed, it is faded.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2009 09:22 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is very interesting Winbert as I just recently got a lot of Disney films from the UK - worked out to about $2 each which wasn't bad since I was expecting faded color but to my pleasant surprise they were all still very nice - too bad they weren't sound, but a great deal anyway!

-
 -
 -
 -

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2009 09:43 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those Buck Labs prints were usually on Fuji stock, which while not nearly as sharp as Eastman, often holds up color quite well.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 14, 2009 08:58 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry...

I have seen many times "Trick or Treat" but they are always silent. I don't think it was ever released in sound (unless Derann has ever released it?), except mine which is own-stripped.

Your Disney are Fuji stock, aren't they? as the black is not really black, that what I notice. Anyway they are still a good deal. Lucky you!

BTW, what scanner are you using....it is so good for 8mm width image. What is the max resolution of your scanner?

[ October 14, 2009, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

peter booth
Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2009 10:25 AM      Profile for peter booth   Email peter booth       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,
Trick or treat is currently in the Derann catalogue
Best wishes,
Peter.

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2009 10:40 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert
Actually I did not use a scanner - I used my digital camera's macro and placed the film on a mini light table (that's why the Lonesome Ghosts frame is a bit blurry.

I've taken a closer look at the film to see if I could determine the stock:

Lonesome Ghosts - Eastman safety Film
Trick Or Treat - looks like 9 2 2 S (don't know what that is?)
Pluto's Christmas Tree - Kodak SP (this one still looks particularly vibrant)
Mickey's Trailer - can't find any info
Good Scouts - Fuji

I think have seen Trick Or Treat sound on Ebay through Dave Thomas' store. I guess that would be the Derann version.

Cheers
Terry

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 14, 2009 04:57 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Terry,

Which one is "Good Scout" because you mentioned 5 titles while there are only 4 pictures?

I think 9 2 2 S is still from Kodak but I don't know from what year is that.

Geeez,..... I don't know there is a domestic camera with that macro lens. May I know what is the camera brand and model no?

Terry, have you ever imagined that in the near future if there is a better macro lens (high resolution) and the camera is flicking in 24 per second, while the lens is focusing onto 1 frame. We can actually have a "Digital celluloid Super 8mm Viewer".... [Wink]

I don;t know what other member think about this. I may open a new topic about this.

regards,

--------------------
Winbert

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 14, 2009 04:59 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Color's not bad on them either

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2009 06:39 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert
This lot included 5 films but forgot the one image, so here it is:
 -

My camera is nothing too special, just an affordable point and shoot- although I do recommend the Canon ELPH line.
Used here is the CANON PowerShot SD750 Digital ELPH 7.1 megapixel.

Yes I have imagined this "Digital celluloid Super 8mm Viewer" as I've used my digital camera as a capture device (not very succesfully though)

Cheers
Terry

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC