8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Reel 4/Mighty Joe Young

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reel 4/Mighty Joe Young
Patrick McGrath
Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2008 08:09 PM      Profile for Patrick McGrath   Email Patrick McGrath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just picked up a very nice copy of this feature, but the last reel ends abruptly, cutting off the last ten minutes of the film!

Anybody have an odd reel to part with?

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted December 21, 2008 09:04 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick, what coincidence. I bough a copy of MJY a couple of years ago and the last ten minutes were missing.
Another thing about my print is the first reel is very sharp focus, but the other three reels were washed out and not sharp at all. Is this the case with yours? I haven't even looked for the missing footage. [Frown]

Patrick McGrath
Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2008 09:16 PM      Profile for Patrick McGrath   Email Patrick McGrath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coincidence indeed. Must be a conspiracy!

Seriously though, I was very heartbroken as the print is in excellent shape save for a few lines way off to the right on reel three, so far over you could overproject them out quite easily.
The focus is a bit soft all the way through, but no worse than some VHS I've projected with my LCD!
Whoever owned my copy(and I have written the seller to as yet no reply)replaced the missing footage with silent subtitled footage of the final scene where the club owner(forget his name right now) is watching a home movie from Joe back in Africa.

Too bad, really. Filmus Interuptus!

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2008 03:48 AM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick,
I have a 4x400' bizzare cutdown of MJY. Reels 1&3 are sharp and on b/w stock, but reels 2&4 are soft and on color stock giving it a slightly blue tint. But it does have the last 10 minutes of the feature intact. Just e-mail me and it's yours if that'll work for you.
calagari at ix dot netcom dot com

Patrick McGrath
Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2008 12:18 PM      Profile for Patrick McGrath   Email Patrick McGrath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! The generosity on this board knows no bounds!
What can I say?
Thank you very much and an email is on its way to you.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC