8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm for sale/trade/wanted   » Pathe bulb

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pathe bulb
Mikael Barnard
Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2010 01:20 PM      Profile for Mikael Barnard   Email Mikael Barnard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy all. Bit of a long shot but since I'm asking everyone I can think of here is as good a place to ask as any. I recently took delivery of an absolutely gorgeous Pathe Lux which works like a dream except for one thing- the bulb didn't survive the journey. :-( It's a very rare Pathe 'O' type bulb. Don't suppose anyone has one of these hen's teeth for sale do you? Please let me know if you do, I'd rather not go down the halogen conversion route if I can help it. Many thanks.

Mikael.

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2010 02:14 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mikael, you may be in luck as I am planning on going down the halogen route and have an original Osram, but I'll need to check it out first since it has been wrapped in its little paper cocoon for some time...I'll let you know in the next day or so..Oh and I'll show ya mine can you show me yours...

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Mikael Barnard
Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2010 08:18 PM      Profile for Mikael Barnard   Email Mikael Barnard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dino. Sorry about the delay in replying, please check the exact type of lamp- from what I can gather one can use bulbs from a Pathe H but these, like the Pathe 'S' bulb will fry notched film, it needs to be a Pathe 'O'. If it is and it works then yes I'd be delighted to purchase it from you. Sorry about the lack of photo at the moment, will try and get round to posting one tomorrow, if not soon as possible but it looks exactly like your one really without the handle. Cheers.

Mikael.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2010 09:47 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
unfortunately I looked today at work and the extra bulb is in fact one the 'S' bulbs so it won't help you....Still would love to see your machine..

--------------------

David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2010 05:36 AM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..... try Ken Valentine (retired service manager of Pathe UK) - doesn't use www (it hasn't a handle!!) and says he sent some lamps to Greece and they'd all died by the time they got there - so he had some hand carried to the chap! Write to him at 'Stables Lodge', 111 Elstree Road,Bushey Heath, Herts WD23 4EG, UK. As Dino knows, Ken is also Secretary of Group 9.5 - an organisation you should join!!!!
Cheers, David E

--------------------
I've NEVER let failure go to MY head!

Mikael Barnard
Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2010 09:37 AM      Profile for Mikael Barnard   Email Mikael Barnard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, many thanks for looking all the same, will post a photo a.s.a.p.

David. Had crossed my mind to try Ken, I've got one other possible lead which I'll have followed up by Tuesday and if not I will get in touch with him. I have had two fellow collectors suggest I join and believe me it's not for the lack of want, I probably will soon but the trouble is I also want to join the BVWS, Vintage Film Circle, Narrow Bandwidth Television Association and a whole raft of similar organisations and I'm an unwaged ex-student! I already pay two memberships a year and on top of keeping collecting and trying to live I haven't exactly got a lot spare to join all and sundry. It is looking more and more like I will have to become a literally paid-up card-carrying 9.5er though! Anyway that's enough moaning about money matters from me, thank you for your suggestions and advice. :-)

Mikael.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2010 01:02 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
since we are talking LUX, do you know what the shorting plug looks like when you are using the resistance in the base of the projector only...Since I am in the states I only need the 110 volts, but I am unsure of what the shorting plug for the 110 looks like...The 130 and above one is obvious since it is all contained in the 1-pin / 2-hole plug that leads to the additional external resistance. I have been piecing mine together, and now that it is on my mind I want to finish the task.

--------------------

Mikael Barnard
Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2010 08:33 AM      Profile for Mikael Barnard   Email Mikael Barnard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dino. Again sorry for the delay- been very busy cataloguing film! Haven't a clue how to post images on here directly so I put them in a Photobucket album:

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g157/speenzman/Lux/

Lux1 is obviously the Lux, Lux 2 is the area where it plugs in and Lux3 is the shorting plug. Sorry the quality isn't great but had to take it with family's camera- mine's broken. Hope this shows you what you want to know. All the best.

Mikael.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2010 09:23 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay thanks so much Mikael, so it looks like the shorting plug is just capping it off so it isn't "live" as opposed to serving any sort of function?

--------------------

Mikael Barnard
Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2010 01:01 PM      Profile for Mikael Barnard   Email Mikael Barnard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be my guess yes.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2010 02:06 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mikael
One other question since you are able to take pics...Can you either tell me or take a picture of the serial number on yours that is imprinted underneath the projector base....I am assuming the YC models would have the YC and then the number, but mine actually has a YD and then the number...

--------------------

Mikael Barnard
Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2010 01:20 PM      Profile for Mikael Barnard   Email Mikael Barnard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Afraid my Lux is away at the moment currently having a new motor resistance fitted. Will let you know when it gets back but it might be a few days.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2010 01:55 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mikael did you send it to Ken? I have been typing up a letter to him regarding needed fixes on mine and will be curious what sort of costs your comes out to.... you can email me off the forum at aytab (at)aoldot-com.

Cheers and thanks so much for your help along this journey

--------------------

Mikael Barnard
Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2010 05:46 PM      Profile for Mikael Barnard   Email Mikael Barnard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No I haven't sent it to Ken, I've got another genius working on it for me. It's a good arrangement- I catalogue some more of his films, he fixes my Lux. All I need to do now is find time inbetween cataloguing and repairing another film collection, doing volunteer work at two different places and trying to write a book to actually get some more of his films catalogued!

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2010 01:35 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and here is the YD serial number I was talking about

-

--------------------

Mikael Barnard
Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2010 05:29 AM      Profile for Mikael Barnard   Email Mikael Barnard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine's definitely a YC serial: 20113 YC. If you want to see a really poor quality pile of rubbish about it with some projected footage that looks insanely bad considering how good it looks in real life then have a look at this thing I threw together in a few minutes last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G29nGRQ2Ex0

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC