8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm for sale/trade/wanted   » Pathe Baby Shutters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pathe Baby Shutters
Ron Ashton
Junior

- posted November 03, 2011 02:47 PM      Profile for Ron Ashton   Email Ron Ashton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pathe Baby "Ashton" shutters are available again.
They were previously supplied exclusively by my late friend Warton Parfitt since 1998 and I worked with him to perfect the design so as to make it universally suitable for all models of the Baby Projector. The prototype of the Mark IV shutter cast in Lead Free Alloy was approved by Warton only a few months before he died, so I can confidently offer these to all enthusiasts.
 -
For more details please email: ronashton.ra.eng@virgin.net

--------------------
Ron

|  IP: Logged

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2011 04:53 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum Ron. It is nice to see the late great Warton mentioned here. I am sure your very well engineered shutters will keep his work alive.

Paul Morf
Junior

- posted May 07, 2013 01:31 PM      Profile for Paul Morf   Email Paul Morf       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! I am a 7th grade student at a Montessori School in Colorado and am new to the 8mm Forum. I am a part of our school’s theater group- The Community Theater Guild. My teacher has an old Pathe Baby Projector, a while ago, we turned it on and tried to run it to see what condition it was in. The lamp was intact and we threaded a 9.5mm film through it. The problem is that what I have learned is called the shutter or flywheel, is not intact. I have done some research, and learned that the material they were made out of would expand over time and crack. Do any of you know where I could find a replacement shutter/flywheel in the US?

Bob Pucci
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2013 06:13 PM      Profile for Bob Pucci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only place to purchase them is across the pond in the UK.

Ron Ashton
Junior

- posted May 08, 2013 02:44 AM      Profile for Ron Ashton   Email Ron Ashton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello
Shipping to USA or any other Country is no problem as I have sold 90 % outside the UK. These days Paypal makes payment easy.
A booklet with detailed Fitting Instructions is supplied and now also comes with Assembly Aids.
Regards

Ron

--------------------
Ron

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2013 01:09 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum, Paul. It's always nice to welcome a younger person to the crowd, particularly one as articulate as you! Best wishes on your quest!

Paul Morf
Junior

- posted November 15, 2013 11:48 AM      Profile for Paul Morf   Email Paul Morf       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Ron, when I posted that last comment, I was not sure what the piece I needed was called. I still do not, but I do know that it is the part of the projector inside that I believe is what regulates the speed of the film going through. I will try to post a picture of it next.

Thanks!

-

[ November 15, 2013, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Paul Morf ]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 15, 2013 12:04 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, there is also a source from Spain. Julio Castells (taller@juliocastells.com) sells them for 24 euros. Paul, the shutter is a round part that masks the fram when the film is moving (a film is made of a lot of still frames projected quickly, you need to mask the moment of one frame replaces another).

--------------------
Dominique

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 15, 2013 01:14 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul...I bought a shutter from Ron and successfully installed it myself. Ron and other members helped me when I ran into problems...but now my Pathe Baby is working great. I suggest you email Ron directly...I'm not sure how frequently he monitors the forum.

Here are a couple of threads that might be helpful:

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000204

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000214

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Ron Ashton
Junior

- posted December 23, 2013 03:43 AM      Profile for Ron Ashton   Email Ron Ashton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice
A Merry Christmas to you and to everyone who Loves a 9.5 Pathe Baby.
A truly amazing machine that still keeps working with a bit of TLC. Long may it reign, giving so much pleasure right across the World and those ancient 9.5 mm films still look as good as when new, or nearly so if carefully stored unlike a lot of more modern 8 mm films of mine, s "Hats Off" to Pathe for great film processing all those years ago.
To everyone in 8mm Forum have a great 2014.

Ron

--------------------
Ron

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 23, 2013 02:59 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Merry Christmas to you too, Ron. Last night I ran a couple of 9.5mm films on my baby to show my son whose home for the holidays. He was amazed.

Thank you for all your help with the shutter. It's wonderful that you can produce such a precision product that can bring these little projectors back to life.

Happy Holidays!

[ December 23, 2013, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 23, 2013 03:57 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have a happypathe Christmas Janice! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 23, 2013 08:39 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Merry Christmas to you Paul.... May the Pathe' be with you [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Manuel Vila
Junior

- posted March 22, 2015 05:24 PM      Profile for Manuel Vila   Email Manuel Vila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello anybody/everybody,

I have a question for Janice or anyone that can help me. I have a similar problem than the one she described with the shutter when she wanted to change it. I have already purchased a new one from a supplier. Obviously it comes without the shaft. Should I use the old shaft? It seems to be glued or welded. Do I have to destroy completely the old shutter to extract the shaft? Is there a way to do it and keep the old shutter?

Thank you very much for any help.

Ron Ashton
Junior

- posted March 22, 2015 05:44 PM      Profile for Ron Ashton   Email Ron Ashton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Manuel

The original Pathe Baby Shutters had the Shutter Shaft pressed into it as the Shaft is serrated forming a "key" in the soft metal of the Shutter. Disassembly is by tapping the Shaft out taking care to protect the Shaft end by using an Aluminium or Brass Drift. If done carefully you may salvage the old Shutter but they are very fragile and will probably break up.
Re-assembly methods depend on which Shutter you bought and "Ashton Shutters" always come with full fitting instructions as this procedure has to be carefully done to achieve success.
Please let us know how you get on.

Ron Ashton

--------------------
Ron

Manuel Vila
Junior

- posted March 23, 2015 05:02 AM      Profile for Manuel Vila   Email Manuel Vila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for your quick response. I think my shutter is already too crubled in the interior not to break into a lot of small pieces. We'll see.

Manuel Vila
Junior

- posted March 25, 2015 05:53 AM      Profile for Manuel Vila   Email Manuel Vila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I succeeded getting the shaft from the old shutter without breaking it further. My problem now is how to insert it in the hole of the new shutter. The diameter of this hole must be smaller than the shaft's to get a tight grip between them, and in fact it is. I have tried heating the shutter to make the hole provisionally bigger, but it doesn't dilate enough. I do not know if there any other procedure...

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 25, 2015 11:14 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least with my shutter... Ron Ashton provided detailed instructions on inserting the shaft on the new shutter. It must be done carefully as not to damage the soft metal of the original shaft. Did you not receive the instructions?

Once the shutter is mounted back on the shaft...the tedious task of positioning it back threw the cam is very challenging. I recommend using a flashlight pointed straight down on the cam to more easily see lining the shaft up with the cam.

Here are some pics of my installation:

Remove old shutter.
 -

New shutter install kit.
 -

Insert original shaft onto new shutter. The shaft must be carefully tapped straight into the new shutter. It is a tight fit. Do not hammer directly on the shaft...but rather use something between the shaft end and the hammer to avoid damaging the soft metal of the shaft.
 -
 -

Reposition shaft thru cam.
 -

Completed.
 -

--------------------
Janice

Ron Ashton
Junior

- posted March 25, 2015 01:01 PM      Profile for Ron Ashton   Email Ron Ashton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again Manuel

Yes Janice is quite right, take care with the Tapping " operation. because if you burr over the shaft end it will not enter the Support Bush on re-assembly.

OK so first question is,

1.What is your new Shutter made of, is it aluminium or brass, which is usual. Only mine is lead free Alloy as far as I know which certainly does not require and should NOT be heated up and is the same assembly procedure as used originally by Pathe.
2.Will the non serrated end of the Shaft enter the hole in your new shutter?
3.You know that the cut-outs in you Shutter should be in the Correct position relative the "Flats" on the Shutter Shaft.......my assembly instructions show how this is done and if it is done correctly then Film Pull Down happens when the Shutter cuts off the Light to the Gate.
4.Would a copy of my Assembly Instructions help...the synchronising part will be the part applicable to you new Shutter.

Ron

--------------------
Ron

Manuel Vila
Junior

- posted March 30, 2015 02:57 AM      Profile for Manuel Vila   Email Manuel Vila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

Thank you both Janice and Ron for your explanations (and photos). They have been quite clarifying.

My “real” problem was that the diameter of the hole in the shutter (brass) was 6mm and the diameter of the shaft was 7mm. I didn’t expect such a big difference. Once noticed, I just machined the hole to 7mm and everything went all right. With your explanations and very good photos and that french link on changing the shutter I have now my Pathe Baby working!

I also had the problem with the bulb. I have changed it to a 12V 10W halogen light and it seems a little not-enough-bright. I’d like to try something with some more watts, but I have not found an halogen light with 12W or 16W or similar values yet.

Regards.

Ron Ashton
Junior

- posted March 30, 2015 04:32 AM      Profile for Ron Ashton   Email Ron Ashton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Manuel

Well Done and so pleased to hear you sorted out the problem with your new Shutter.

Regarding Halogen lamps there is a 20W you can use with the same pin sizes, but only use this with non-notched films or you will blister the film frame in the gate.

Several of us are playing with LED lighting but the jury is still out on this one as the problem is finding a suitable LED and how to squeeze the light through the gate.

I hope to be able to report on this subject later on if I can solve the problem to my satisfaction.

Regards

--------------------
Ron

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2015 11:46 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron is absolutely correct about the lamp not exceeding 10 watts. for notched films. You should find that you get a brighter picture than the one the original lamp gave and it is cooler. There have been a number of posts on this subject. Suggest you have a good browse. Ken Finch. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC