8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm for sale/trade/wanted   » Buckingham 9.5 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Buckingham 9.5
Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2015 10:53 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In case anyone is interested I am selling a nice one. You may think it pricey but they are scarce - Really!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331527654330?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

|  IP: Logged

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2015 04:30 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are not including the Bolex Zoom Lens, why take a picture of it?

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2015 11:00 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry, I fear you have overpriced it! An optical and magnetic sound version can be obtained for less than that. The one you illustrate was sold for under £500 from Tony. I understand he now only has them converted to order because the demand for them has now fallen off. Added to which, good 9.5mm sound prints become rarer every year. However, I wish you well with your sale. Ken Finch. Personally, I think a modernised PAX is a much better machine. Ken Finch. [Wink]

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2015 11:59 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken perhaps you're right but it will be interesting to see. The last time I saw Tony he was not converting them anymore and the last Magnetic/optical sold on EBay for over £1100.00. In all my years of collecting I have never seen a magnetic sound 9.5 film although I know some do exist, but the vast majority are optical, certainly with commercially produced films.
Graham - I also took a picture of the table it was standing on! That's not for sale either. I don't think it's such a big deal so long as potential buyers are aware -do you?

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 12, 2015 12:09 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the magnetic fillms are amateurs ones. I have three cartoons, daysets and the Titanic trailer on magnetic sound. There have been several 9,5 magnetic projectors made in France but you don't see often magnetic films (but one was recently sold on Ebay France).

[ April 13, 2015, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: Dominique De Bast ]

--------------------
Dominique

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2015 01:55 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dom
Always informative - never critical. Do you have a Buckingham? I know you always have a friendly conversation with Tony at the conventions/meetings.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 13, 2015 01:11 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Buckingham (optical/magnetic) and I'm more than happy with it. Tony told me several years ago that he doesn't convert projectors anymore as the man who was doong that retired. So I was quiete surprised to read in this thread that Buckingham projectors are still available by special orders. I'm not sure this information is up to date as I haven't seen any ad for that since a very long time. Indeed, I like to chat with Tony and hope to see him at the next BFCC.

--------------------
Dominique

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2015 03:25 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buckingham 9.5 NOW SOLD! and going to a very good home. Thanks to all for your input and interest.
Terry

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 17, 2015 03:33 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good new, Terry. I'm sure the new owner will enjoy it.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 17, 2015 05:34 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Terry. The new owner will certainly enjoy the Buckingham RM.

With regards to Ken's comment that the one illustrated was originally sold for under £500 is way out. I have in front of me Tony Reypert's full page ad in the Summer 2003 issue of "Amateur Cine Enthusiast" which gives a price of £795. The Opt/Mag playback version was £975.

Tony can no longer supply any new Buckingham projectors, he tells that he still gets requests for them.

--------------------
Maurice

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2015 06:18 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info Maurice (always a mine of information) and apologies to Tony for misspelling his name and if he watches this forum I wish him good health and good fortune in the future.
Terry

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 15, 2015 11:54 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 9.5 sound projector was sold yesterday on EBay for over 800 euros. It was a Ligonie but only magnetic (play and record). Difficult to say that there is no interest for the gauge...

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 15, 2015 12:46 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe that a magnetic only 9.5mm projector would be a lot of use unless the owner actually uses the gauge for filming and wants to add sound in some way.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 15, 2015 01:14 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can, of course be used also as a good silent projector (it has a 24v250 watts bulb) but obviousely, at that price, the magnetic sound feature attracted several bidders. I think the starting price was 100 euros. Several sound (French) films were recently sold at 200 euros per film.

--------------------
Dominique

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 21, 2015 08:08 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As many 9-5 sound film users will say a Pathe Vox is the kindest and best way to project and protect those priceless films never to be reprinted. I've had a good number of Buck machines over the years and they can be brutal to vintage 9-5 films sorry to say, particularly grabbing the tail of a film end at the top drive sprocket. I always come back to a Pathe Vox which I converted a few years ago to modern amp, halogen lighting and better lens to complete. These old birds if looked after keep on going and you will often chat to guys who have a number of them such is the love of a Pathe Vox.

Carry on projecting!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 21, 2015 11:20 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Vox was manufactured in France and commenced production in 1937 and by 1940 had terminated due to the war.
It would be interesting to know how many were manufactured, and how many are still in use today, whether modified or not.
So we must thank Tony Reypert for his splendid efforts of converting 16mm Elf projectors to run on 9.5mm, hence the Buckingham.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 21, 2015 12:26 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
9.5 sound projectors are not so easy to find in France and I haven't seen any for sale, yet in different convention in UK.

--------------------
Dominique

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 21, 2015 01:55 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We should really thank the dear wonderful man Mr Brezinka who worked on the prototype and actually discovered the Elf could be converted to 9-5 sound. I remember clear as day him walking into the Derann Film collectors convention and showing his development machine off around some of the traders also watching a silent film on his machine. You'll gather I liked his company especially as he was also a talented musician..

Always been a problem with sound Dom and my own exploits with my late father who did 9-5 in his teens onwards to find a sound projector even then were memorable. Dad was filming 3D 9.5 in the 50's and projecting locally made films with his small film unit around the south, turning the clock back even further during the WW2 the government paid for him to have his 17.5mm projector converted to 16 so he could show the information films. That was the only blimped Home Talkie I had ever seen then or since! Happy memories and a room full of stories I could relay of his involvement with Pathescope over here...God bless him. [Frown]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 26, 2015 06:11 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A French company is selling a converted Eiki (but I don't know if it's a Buckingham) for...3.150 euros.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 28, 2015 04:34 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique
Have you got a link to the French Eiki sale?

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 28, 2015 05:20 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is not on line. It is sold by a company called antanbazar. They do have a website with a list of material but this list is not updated. I sent them an e-mail to inquire about the 9.5 sound projectors they have for sale now and got as an answer :"Nous avons ce qu’il y a de mieux et de plus moderne un Eiki 9,5 optique et magnétique capacité 700 mètres lampe Halogène à miroir dichroïque, amplificateur à transistors > révisé & garanti en très bon état TTC : 3150 €.(Attention c’est le dernier en stock)" I think it's easy to understand :-) I asked if they have other models but so far could not get a clear answer as they keep on asking what I'm precisely looking for instead of sending a list.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 28, 2015 05:37 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is strange that they did not quote the model number in their reply to you as on their web-site they were advertising "Eiki RT1 modifie en 9.5mm".
The price column is marked "Vendu" !!
Being an RT1, it was quite likely that it was a Buckingham conversion.
However, the projector to which you refer is also magnetic. The RT1 was not.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 28, 2015 05:49 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Their list on line is not up to date and so not reliable at all. Their projector may be a Buckingham but can also be an Eiki converted in Paris as there was a company that did that as well. However it was very expensive ; you had to bring your own projector and they converted it for 1000 euros.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 28, 2015 09:03 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just received an e-mail from them. They have three other projectors but they are sold "as they are". For a serviced machine you have to add between 800 and 1000 euros. More if you wand a modernization. As the company is located far away from Paris it is difficult to go there to check the actual condition of the projectors.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 28, 2015 10:56 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominque
What do you know about the company in Paris who converted 16mm Eikis for use on 9.5mm?

I ask because I have an Eiki Slimline SNT-3 conversion which I was told was sold by a company in France (possibly Paris). They were expensive because they had to use brand new projectors.

I have an Eiki/Elf price list dated September 1992 - April 1993 when the prices for their 16mm projectors were:-

SNT-1 GBP £1387
SNT-2 GBP £1437
SNT-3 GBP £1795

There was no mention if the above prices included Value Added Tax.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC