8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm for sale/trade/wanted   » Pathe Baby

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pathe Baby
Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2015 06:43 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just listed this. I know it's not cheap but the condition and accessories included reflect this. Would love to hear your comments - positive and negative.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pathe-Baby-Stunning-/331635973025?hash=item4d370b5ba1

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2015 07:44 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Terry,
That's certainly the best looking Pathe Baby outfit I have seen. Way outside my budget though [Frown] . It might be better to list the items included for the uninitiated like myself. For instance why is there a long cone attached to the projector lens?

--------------------
Paul.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 27, 2015 09:21 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, but I don't own such an accessory myself, the long cone gives you a larger picture. It is called "amplificateur" in French and is put in addition of the existing lens. I have no idea as how efficient it is.

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2015 10:18 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dominique,
Thanks for your answer. An "amplificateur" would translate as "amplifier" or "enlarger" which is interesting. I suppose it is a converter lens like those made by Eiki, Elmo and Bell & Howell for 16mm machines to reduce the focal length of the lens.

--------------------
Paul.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2015 10:37 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Dom is right. It is an early version of an enlarging lens. I don't think it is that efficient but they are fairly rare, especially in good condition. Perhaps it would be a good idea to list the accessories.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 29, 2015 05:20 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am indebted to Gerald McKee's "Classic Home Movie Projectors 1922-1940" for the information below.
THE AMPLIFIER
The picture magnifier (actually a concave "negative" lens) consisted of a 60mm diameter simple lens mounted at the end of a funnel shaped cone. This tube fitted via its nickel-plated attachment ring to the dummy Pathe Baby lens mount. The result was a 50% increase in picture size for a given throw. As with all such optical attachments there was a price to pay: a less bright picture and a certain amount of distortion of the enlarged image.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 29, 2015 05:36 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A "less bright picture" ! That's probably why Pathé Baby made a pair of magnificient glasses (like theatrical ones) :-) I guess if these have been often used as it is not very good for the eyes.

--------------------
Dominique

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2015 01:20 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice
Great bit of research again.
Dom
You're right. The picture was never that bright to start with, but don't forget this 1920's technology. Not state of the art - more like state of the Ark. [Big Grin]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 29, 2015 01:56 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry, the Pathé Baby is a wonderful machine : the notches system is ingenious (not to mention the 9.5 gaguge itself with its central perforation) and the beautiful design of the projector makes it appealing to use. The brightness is not what you're looking for when manipulating this little Wonder.

--------------------
Dominique

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2015 02:26 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are so right. It was real cutting edge in its day and I still prefer 9.5 over 8mm to this day. Picture quality as good as 16mm and good sound quality too. I'm beginning to wonder why I'm selling this one.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2015 11:19 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Relisted with a bit more info on the accessories
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331660062050?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2648

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC