8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm for sale/trade/wanted   » Looking for a replacement film chamber glass...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for a replacement film chamber glass...
Ken Kessler
Junior

- posted February 16, 2017 12:37 AM      Profile for Ken Kessler   Email Ken Kessler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently purchased a beautiful Pathe Baby... the glass cover for the film take-up chamber was broken in transit... any help? BTW The projector came in the original leatherette covered wood case (with a First Class - CUNARD luggage sticker) a rubber mat, a like-new power cord (twisted beige cloth wires with ceramic plugs) the same in black with an inline resistor, a screw in ceramic plug adapter, a catalog, manual and quick start fold-out and an empty bulb box...

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 16, 2017 10:02 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken...The glass measures roughly 10.2cm or 4". I would look for a glass circle cutting tool. Perhaps something like THIS ONE. You also might be able to DIY something with just a regular glass cutter fastened to a protractor or circle template. I would use a piece of thin picture frame glass you can buy at the Dollar Store.

I bought a Pathe' Baby a couple years back and it's the pride of my collection. I had to install a new shutter wheel which was quite a learning experience. You can see some pictures HERE. I also have a couple of videos on YouTube. This one demos HOW TO LOAD THE FILM CARTRIDGE. I converted mine as have other owners on this forum to use a more modern 12v bulb. You might think about converting your lamp system also since the old plate can be dangerous.

Enjoy your new Baby Ken...they are a real treasure to own [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Ken Kessler
Junior

- posted February 16, 2017 10:30 AM      Profile for Ken Kessler   Email Ken Kessler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Janice... I've followed your restoration in various forums... nice job. I found some 4 inch circles online (very reasonable) they come in flat and beveled form... I think I'll try both... beveled would certainly be fitting for the era... I'll let you know how things work out... Starting a tear-down for CLA today... Thanks Ken

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC