8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Pit and the Pendulum

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pit and the Pendulum
Stuart Fyvie
Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2003 03:11 PM      Profile for Stuart Fyvie   Email Stuart Fyvie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A bit obscure this, but can anyone shed any light on Mountain films
'Pit and the Pendulum' (it wasn't the Corman version) A friend of mine had
a 400ft b&w silent version when we were nippers (them were the days...)
I think it was a Spanish film that also starred Lex Barker. Can't find any info
on IMDB. It was also released as a 4x 400 ft col.snd feature. And while we are at it does any one also remember 'Blood Devils'?

Stuart.

|  IP: Logged

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2003 04:54 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Stuart. I remember hiring the 4x400 version of 'Pit&the Pendulum' in the mid seventies. It also featured Christopher Lee. The colour wasn't too good and the sound was worse. Of course this was a well-used library print, other copies may have been better. I also remember that its original title was blanked out so it wasn't originally called 'Pit & The Pendulum, so that is why you can't find any info about it. The credits noted it was based on the story by Poe, but the plot was nothing like the Corman/Price version. Can't help with Blood Devils, although I remember the title being around at the same time. Mal. Since posting the above I looked in the Radio Times Guide to Films and it has come up trumps. The P&P was originally titled 'The Blood Demon' made in West Germany in 1967. It is rated 3 stars. Reading the blurb jogged my memory, I remember the film began with Chris Lee being drawn and quartered by being tied to 4 horses which were sent off in different directions. That must have hurt! Apart from Lee and Barker, the dialogue is dubbed into English from the original German. Still can't help with Blood Devils, sorry. Mal. Am I sad or what, remembering this? [rhetorical question]

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 22, 2003 08:35 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stuart and Mal,
I believe you're both refering to a 1967 German film with Chris Lee and Lex Barker that goes by quite a few titles: The Blood Demon, Castle of the Walking Dead, The Snake Pit and the Pendulum(!), & The Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism.
The only "Blood Devils" that comes to mind is one of those Hemisphere Pictures shot in the Phillipines starring John Ashley. I have a 4x400' of that classic, and I must of watched it at least......just once. It was released in the US as "Beast of Blood" and the climax has a tearful reunion of a decapitated monster and his head!
Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Stuart Fyvie
Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2003 03:49 AM      Profile for Stuart Fyvie   Email Stuart Fyvie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that. The IMDB does have a film listed called 'The snake and the
Pendulum'. (check out how many films Chris Lee has done over the years)
Looks like that is it. As ever , memory always makes things better than
they were and I am sure if I watched it now I would probably laugh my
head off...but when you were twelve in 1978 and you had a small collection
of films (B.V. -before video, or at least in our house...) This was quite a
treat for all the local kids for a halloween party!

Stuart

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC