8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » film guard or film renew (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: film guard or film renew
Richard Clark
Junior

- posted July 20, 2003 10:46 AM      Profile for Richard Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found a remarkable side effect to using fine optical grade silicone oil as a lubricant on films as it seems to make the mag tracks glide through the heads with no brown dust coming off any more! this has got to mean that there is less wear on the mag tracks!.
Also when i say silicone oil i dont mean that thick stuff it has to be really thin like water and just put a squirt on a cotton cloth and run through the rewind arms .

|  IP: Logged

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2003 02:26 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, where can this optical grade silicon oil be purchased from?

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Richard Clark
Junior

- posted July 21, 2003 01:47 PM      Profile for Richard Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tony with regards to the fine grade silicone oil our company buys this direct from an electrolube distributor such as RS
visit: www.rswww.com/
I dont think you need an account just phone order using a credit card and here is rs part number: 331-1959
And here is the technical data :

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: Silicone Oil Aerosol DATE: 02/99

PRODUCT CODE: OSL400 PAGES: 1

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

Electrolube’s Silicone Oil Aerosol is a high quality multi-purpose mechanical lubricant. The Silicone Oil Aerosol is 100% Ozone Friendly.

PRODUCT USE

For all general and light duty mechanical lubrication purposes. One brief spray of OSL gives long term lubrication on line printers, keyboards, platens, bearings etc. Silicone Oil Aerosol may also be used as a release agent in moulding and casting operations. May be used both at work and home. Do not use near electrical contacts or motor brushes. Product contains flammable solvent therefore do not spray onto live electrical equipment or other sources of ignition.

FEATURES

* High quality silicone spray.

* Excellent water repellency.

* Excellent electrical insulating compound and sealant.

* Excellent lubricant with good adhesion.

* Available in aerosol form for quick, clean and efficient application.

TYPICAL PROPERTIES (of the deposited oil)

Colour: Colourless

Specific Gravity: 0.90

Flash Point: >250°C

Viscosity (at 20°C): 200cSt

Pour Point: <-45°C

PACKAGING ORDER CODE

400ml Aerosol OSL400

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2003 04:20 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,

Thanks for taking such trouble with the posting. Much appreciated. By the description it would seem to have many uses around the home!

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Richard Clark
Junior

- posted July 24, 2003 02:10 PM      Profile for Richard Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Tony thats no problem but let me know how you get on if you try this product as i think you will be amazed
Best Regards Richard...

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 27, 2003 10:44 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like excellent stuff. May give it a try myself. I use isoprop for cleaning muck off my films so adding some of this sounds like a great idea especially as the isoprop evapourates very quickly.
Have you had to re-apply at all or does it seem to last for a long time. How long have you been using this combination.
It may also be available from Maplin Electronic's who have various stores arround the UK. I will check that one out.

Kevin.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2003 11:45 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev,

I am a cresclean man given that it hides the old running lines really well (BTW Duncan I also use the Derann product!!) but will give this a try as well- Richard, do you find it has a similar impact on those fine black lines?

Tony [Cool]

--------------------
Tony

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted July 27, 2003 12:06 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-
What is the best way to apply the lubricant? When I use to work in a film prep lab, we use to have the reels on the table and it was easy, wind slowly and then apply with a cloth. These little square ones we use to get at Christies Editorial in Hollywood. But now that I am in my home, what is the best way that you guys can recommend? I don't have room for rewinds here.
Suggestions?

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2003 05:10 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about an old projector that you don't use for watching films? Like an old Keystone or GAF?

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 27, 2003 06:17 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I just use my Goko RM8008 editor and wind the film from spool to spool slowly between some soft cloth soaked with Cresclean.
Works really well and this editor takes 1200ft spools.

Kevin.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Richard Clark
Junior

- posted July 28, 2003 05:44 PM      Profile for Richard Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What i do is use a ELMO 912 editor to clean my films by using the arms as a rewinding tool.
I always clean the films with isopropanol first and then check the film on the editor and then lubricate using the optical lubricant applied to a cloth(cotton).
Also the little guide rolers on projectors and editors really benefit from a squirt from this lubricant as it cant hurt the film as silicone is inert to film .
Best Regards
Richard..

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2003 08:55 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys- just wanted to point out something for those that may have been experiencing the same problem as me.

In the past year or two, I was having severe shaking problems with certain films. It seemed worse with recently processed kodachrome film and recent releases from Classic Home Cinema.
For some reason, the Derann films run perfectly fine. (My Sankyo ST-800 is very sensitive, as I didn't have this problem on my Canon Cano-sound projector).

Anyway, under the advise of Steve Osborne / Reel Image, I purchased and applied Filmrenew onto these problem films. After this, the films ran perfectly!

FYI- The way I apply the Filmrenew is that I wind the film onto a metal reel and hold a lint - free cloth with the liquid on it. I usually put more liquid on the cloth every 100 feet or so, depending on how badly the film was jumping. I then leave the film (wound backward) on the metal reel for about two days. I then rewind it back onto the original reel (no wiping necessary) and its done!

I'm not sure if this is the best way, but it seems to work just fine for me. Nick.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 29, 2003 12:24 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan,
I don't have much room either but I wanted to use rewinds to save projector wear and tear & for cleaning. I bought a pair of Craig 16mm rewinds on eBay for $20 and ordered the 16mm/Super 8 brass adaptors from The Reel Image. I took two 23"x 8" shelves and joined them lengthwise with a 3" hinge. With the rewinds mounted at the edge of the shelves I have a portable rewind table with a distance of 40" between rewinds that folds up for storage. I use FilmGuard on soft cotton cloth strips which I change(depending on the film's condition) approx every 150'.
Doug

[ July 29, 2003, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: Douglas Meltzer ]

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC