8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Now What Ebay?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Now What Ebay?
D'Arcy More
Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2003 03:31 PM      Profile for D'Arcy More   Email D'Arcy More   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are not going to believe this one. Yesterday I posted 7 different super 8 sound Humphrey Bogart trailer reels in 7 seperate auctions. Today I was notified by Ebay that they yanked them off my listings as they were violating some sort of copyright infringement!! Huh? 35mm trailers are being sold on Ebay on a daily basis! I know that a few years ago they stopped letting people sell 35mm features as they claimed these HAD TO BE stolen property, but now super 8? What gives there? Some trigger happy new kid at Ebay trying to fill his quota for the day and not understanding the history of Super 8? You'javascript:void(0)
Madre darn right I immediately complained to Ebay about this! Has anyone else had this problem? D'Arcy

|  IP: Logged

Bob Pucci
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2003 05:05 PM      Profile for Bob Pucci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over at the 16mm forum a couple of weeks ago,the same thing happened.The sellers complained to ebay and now I guess everything is going okay now.

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2003 05:35 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
During the 16mm debacle it seemed to hit those that had used the phrase "no rights given or implied" and "sold from one collector to another".

Ebay's reading was that the item was illegal since if it was legal under the first sale provision of the US Copyright law, then you wouldn't have to say that.

Did you use any liability limiting language in your listing? (FWIW it probably would protect anyone anyway).

John

D'Arcy More
Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2003 05:50 PM      Profile for D'Arcy More   Email D'Arcy More   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps those lines are what did me in. I did say no rights givin or implied and sold from one collector to another. That's just habit from the bygone days of advertising in The Big Reel. How was the fella's situation corrected on the 16mm forum?

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2003 05:58 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Home Use Only" works because most of the old digests say that anyway. A friend of mine has had B&W stills yanked off several times-anything movie/collectable related is on shakey ground. That would mean that most 16mm and every one-sheet and still and everything else from National Screen Service should be taken off. Think of how much revenue ebay would lose if that ever happened. As for Super 8, I agree that it's ridiculous.

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 24, 2003 07:46 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
D'Arcy, I was one of the seller's who's auction's (13 in all) were removed from the 16mm category a month ago. It was as John said, the phrase "no rights given or inplied, for home use only" that was the reason. I have completely eliminated any legal disclaimers from my listings. So far, so good.

D'Arcy More
Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2003 07:17 AM      Profile for D'Arcy More   Email D'Arcy More   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip guys. Those disclaimers are something I had no idea about. I will relist them later and never put the disclaimers in again. On a side note, while surfing for movie stuff under the antique listings on Ebay, I discovered a seller selling 35mm feature length prints (in their original shipping cases) for an opening bid of $20! Only title I can remember was Battlefield Earth. Never checked to see if the seller got nailed by Ebay. Good chance those prints were hot.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC