8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Some Elmo GS1200 questions......

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some Elmo GS1200 questions......
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted August 13, 2003 12:59 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys- I have a question regarding this wonderful machine...well for the most part!
I have noticed that the focusing isn't even all across the field. I know it is the machine because on my other GS it is evenly focused.
So can someone out there tell me if there is a way to adjust the pressure plate or whatever it is that is causing the projector to be correctly focused either on the right side or the left side of the screen but not both?
Any suggestions would be great.

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2003 02:51 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking from the front there is a little screw just below the lens which adjusts the angle the lens sits in front of the gate. You'll probably find it isn't set right resulting in a blurred image on one side. Alternatively the lens isn't sitting in the barrel squarely. I get round this by putting a bit of tape around the lens producing a firmer grip - although this can make focusing a bit stiff if not quite right.

Sometimes the same problem can be caused when projecting 'Scope films if the anamorphic lens is not completely square with the projection lens. That or the 'Scope lens is not very good and doesn't give a sharp image all over.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted August 13, 2003 08:51 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. I will attempt that later this evening. Now another dilemma. I have a Xenon machine and I know from other threads that it isn't a good idea to strike the bulb often.
Do you suggest that I rig the machine so that the bulb stays on even when the front cover is open so that I have access to the screw to adjust the lens holder AND I can adjust and recheck without having to re-strike the lamp everytime I need to check the focus?

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted August 13, 2003 09:51 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John,
thanks for the reply. Being the non mechanical person I am, I couldn't find the screw! I ended up removing the aperture plate and these little springs popped out! I called Leon Norris and he guided me through the whole process and now....I have a super sharp Xenon image ..side to side! I couldn't be happier!
Thanks again! You gotta love this group!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2003 02:59 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm glad you're okay!!! My soddin' GS-1200 arc lamp wouldn't strike last night and the damned thing's only done about 14 hours. Oh well, back to the previous lamp which was virtually finished until I can get a new one. However, at least the (dim) picture was in focus all the way over and top to bottom.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC