8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Gotta Tell Somebody!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gotta Tell Somebody!
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 29, 2003 09:38 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had probably the greatest E-bay haul of my entire life today on Blackhawk Railroad Films:

Climb To Cumbres US $7.11
Memories of Steam on the Rio Grande US $7.11
Pennsylvania Steam Locomotives US $7.11
Ten Wheeler to Duplex US $4.99
Challengers and Big Boys US $7.11
Steam Pass Locos, N.Y.C. US $7.11

My wife doesn't know what the fuss is so I gotta tell somebody!

Any other fans of Railroads on Super-8 out there?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2003 02:41 AM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lucky man! They weren't 'available to the UK' otherwise the price would have been higher!

I have been collecting Blackhawk (amongst others) rail films for some years,
and some of those are not in my catalogue. I would be grateful for the Blackhawk ordering numbers.
===========================
quote:
Climb To Cumbres US $7.11
Memories of Steam on the Rio Grande US $7.11
Pennsylvania Steam Locomotives US $7.11
Ten Wheeler to Duplex US $4.99
Challengers and Big Boys US $7.11
Steam Pass Locos, N.Y.C. US $7.11

==========================

--------------------
Tim

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 30, 2003 06:43 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Tim,
You'll have them as soon as I do.

Is there anywhere on the Internet a list of Blackhawk films with useful stuff like length, description of contents etc?

I've never gotten a Blackhawk reel that I didn't really like, but I have no idea what may be out there.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 30, 2003 03:39 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another thought on the subject:

The very, very first Super-8 purchase I ever made was a Super-8 railroad film from a company called Sunday River Productions in Massachusetts when I was 16 years old. (I got a camera six months later and my own projector a few months after that.)

I never see their stuff on E-bay. I don't think it's all faded into oblivion because the 8 or 10 films I bought 25 years ago are still doing fine.

What gives with this?

PS: The company is still around, they sell all of their old catalog on videotape now. I wrote them recently in case they still had a few reels lurking in a corner somewhere, but they are all out.

--------------------

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2003 04:21 AM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sunday River did some nice stuff. I picked up 'Canonade in the Canyon', Double Heading on the N&W' and 'Pacing to Terra Alta' on Ebay over the last couple of years.

How about Interurban - especially their prints of the NYC Film Unit stuff, like 'The Freight Yard' and 'The Steam Locomotive'?

--------------------
Tim

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 31, 2003 06:40 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting.....

Did you find these in the E-bay category of "films-8mm" or was it "railroadania"? The only Sunday River title I've ever seen was an interurban videotape, and at least stateside when you search under "Sunday River", all you usually get are towels, bed linens and lift tickets at a ski resort.

What started it all for me is I have been a fan of the Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes two foot gauge line up in Maine since I was a teenager. One day I was reading a railroading magazine when I saw an ad. that there was a sale at Sunday River Productions. I was astonished that they had a film called "Two Foot Gauge in Maine" (The line was scrapped in 1936), and as soon as I could get the money together I ordered a print. I'll never forget the day it showed up, I had absolutely nothing to view it with, so I unspooled the first 20 feet or so and tried to see what was going on. The following weekend I went to my neighbor's house and she showed it on her projector. I was hooked, -and still am. If it wasn't for that one film I probably never would have become involved in Super-8.

Other films I have from Sunday River

The Bridgton and Harrison (B&W)(also two foot gauge)
Super Chief on Raton
The Complete Silverton (I could have ordered it with sound, but I didn't!! What an idiot!!)
OM, Rotary on Cumbres
GG1, Under the heat
Narrow Gauge East of the Sierras
Over Lizard Head Pass (Rio Grande Southern)
Colorado Central and South Park Line(B&W)

All of the color films are in beautiful shape, the Black and whites always were a little purpleish, but have shifted slightly red (not printed on B&W stock, I assume)

What do you think of the railroad offerings from Derann? They have a lot of British titles that sound interesting. Any reccomendations?

[ August 31, 2003, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2003 01:25 PM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to avoid colour so much of it fades - b/w is better for steam anyway!

Both Derann and Classic Home Cinema do new prints, especially of films from the British Transport Film Unit. However, many of these are b/w but printed on colour stock. They often have a colour tint, which changes with time, so I won't buy them. Many were available from Walton, anyway, and turn up regularly. By the time new b/w versions are printed, I'll have most of them!

--------------------
Tim

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 31, 2003 09:47 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one Derann railroad film "Steam Locomotives in the USA" which was not sync sound but rather was background music. I'm hoping most of the others in their railroad selection are sync.

Right?

--------------------

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2003 09:19 AM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could try any of the British Transport films. They are mainly taken from 16mm originals. I have 'Day at York'(b/w), 'Snow Drift at Bleath Gill'(b/w) and 'Railways Forever'(col. - variable)) from Derann. All are sync sound and give excellent views of British steam in action.

The classic BTF film is 'Elizabethan Express'. BTF Website has a good list of films with stills, but seems to have a problem at the moment.

--------------------
Tim

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted September 01, 2003 09:39 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've collected Blackhawk Films for near forty years, have some railroad editions, and sold to Roger Williams at Media Arts - Blackhawk ended it's lengthy run in 1985, and the only way to get choice prints is through David Shepard for 16MM, as to the Super/Std 8, it's up to long-time collectors to trade or sell as they please - It ain't easy - I still need 30 comedy shorts to call it a day, and it's very slow-moving - The best areas for Blackhawk would be BIG REEL, REEL IMAGE, CCH CINEMA (Phil Sheard), Phil Johnson, and Roger at MEDIA ARTS - There aren't the many distributors that once were - Shorty

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 02, 2003 10:55 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing I've always liked about the Blackhawk films is they seemed to have a flair for historically important subjects. For example, they had "The Great Train Robbery", which was the first motion picture to tell a story. They had "Model T, Rise and Fall of the Tin Lizzie" which is a pretty thorough presentation of the subject. (I have prints of both, and enjoy them a lot.)

The films I've recently won on E-bay are the first Blackhawk railroad titles I'll ever see. I haven't gotten them yet, and I'm looking forward to it. I told my wife I could watch this collection of films for a week, and she said "Knowing you, you'll have the projector set up 5 minutes after you get home, and probably not eat dinner until 9:00! (She's probably right......)

Since I was active in Super-8 for a number of years before they closed up shop, I regret not getting to know them better in those days!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC