8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How to store films...Advice?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to store films...Advice?
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted August 29, 2003 10:29 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Guys- just wanted some opinions.
I recently bought a bunch of films off a "collector" who sold me his collection. Nice price except for the fact that all the films are...PINK! Every single one of them! And inside the 16mm film cans there were many little cockroach appendages as well as some full carcasses! I was thoroughly disgusted as you can imagine.
So my question is...should I be storing films in plastic cans with plastic reels or metal cans with metal reels? Also, where should I store them? All my films that I have had for many years are in great shape. But all these are terrible. What can I do to avoid having my films turn "Pink"?
I use to work in film preservation so I should know, but I can't remember.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2003 02:21 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Alan, my films are, and have been, for the last 30+ years, been stored in a wooden(china)cabinet in a room of my basement. The temperature varies from about 50 to 75 degrees faranheit year round, with medium humidity year round. None of my home or commercially produced films(regardless of whether mounted on metal reels in metal cans or plastic reels in plastic boxes or cardboard boxes have turned pink or red. Maybe i've been very lucky, or maybe its just been the particular films I have, but I believe too high temps + low humidity(like those stored in a warm/hot upstairs bedroom or attic) = pink for color films.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 31, 2003 10:06 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan,
I posted a similar thread on the old forum and the overwhelming reply was moderate temperature/humidity, and CARDBOARD BOXES! I could practically hear Brad Miller yelling at me that "film has got to breathe!". [Big Grin]
I was speaking to a 16mm collector recently who said that living in Florida has ruined her films. So....what do you members lucky enough to live in warm climates do to keep your treasures safe? Paul A., how about you?
Doug

Kodak's site has some relevant info:
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/technical/storage1.shtml#class

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC