8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Why I collect Film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why I collect Film
D'Arcy More
Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2003 05:50 PM      Profile for D'Arcy More   Email D'Arcy More   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just stumbled upon this article. Whether it is a true prediction or not, I feel sorry for those who collect nothing but video. From Beta, to VHS, to Laser Discs to DVD's to this..............

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030903/music_nm/media_piracy_dc_1

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted September 05, 2003 04:54 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi D`Arcy, had a read of that but I don`t think its quite so gloomy for DVD really.
Recently heard of an excellant player going for £37.50 and likely better than machines that started out at 20 times that only 4 odd years ago.People are bying them like hot cakes of course, even the amazing Toshiba 330 is about £75 now which is unbelievable.
I think as the normal DVd players do Cd`s as well etc I think and hope they go on pretty long term, VHs is till hanging in there and that could have been obsolete years ago.
For me the one really good thing about films is its sort of uniqueness. The thrill but also the something special that the masses don`t have, you can`t walk into HMV and buy it and of course the real thrill of all of those wirring parts etc, that does it for me.
The thing with DVds at present is that they are tangible, you can touch them and feel them,take them in and out of the case,collect them, much like but not as nice as our films, take that away and what are you left with, no thrill of ownership, no touch and feel, no fun looking forward to the post etc. I think its not going to go quite as much the elctronic way as they hope because where is the fun in your emptyish house just dialing up anything anytime, I just couldn`t be chuffed. So for me even DVd as it is wins hands down there.
But film, even better, all of those wonderful little images running through and the feeling you get when handling those loved films.
Last night I put on a lovely print of the lads, Any Old Port I got from Ian and jackie at Perrys this year and my fingers were almost tingling as I took it out of the box and loaded it up, and a real buzz.
Its us film nuts and I think many of us here now are stuck with it for life most likely.
Saying that I think Ebay and the like is bringing many new faces into the fold and I try to point buyers of odd bits I sell towards the dealers, even if they might by chance buy that much wanted film I was after just before me one day !!!!!
I hope DVd lasts long and keeps going but who knows just as long as our films do we`ll be OK.
best Mark.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC