8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » An Update on telling people about our BRILLIANT Hobby

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: An Update on telling people about our BRILLIANT Hobby
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted September 22, 2003 10:03 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I`ve been in contact with a very nice chap called Stuart from the online version of Home Cinema Choice talking about doing an article etc or placing an add in the paper magazine about our Hobby.
Something along the lines of " Real Cinema in the home alive and kicking" etc etc and putting an ad in the mag mentioning the hobby and listing a few of the main dealers contacts and that new films etc are still available.

Lets face it most people simply haven`t even heard of the hobby and a lot don`t know what real film is because they just haven`t come accross it yet. Also many may think its slipped away rather than a faithful band still enjoy its many charms.
I`ve often pointed people towards cine sites and dealers and they are usually really interested, of course its great !!!

Anyway I thought maybe we could push to spread the word so to speak but I did wonder Brad if we make a push or effort if we should pull the Doomed thread as any prospective interested types may be put of seeing that when first they get here if it works.

Also very interesting Stuart also has offered that he may consider opening a cine forum on the AV forums as are now which would give us even more exposure. I thought maybe a general forum covering allsorts of films and gauges and equipment and pointing folks our way and the dealers way so actually enhancing this sites visitor`s and new members and letting people know just what is available.
What do you all think.
I`m happy to set about writing an interesting and fun article about it all and see if they are happy to run with it on the online or sold magazine but might need a bit of help on visuals etc as my computer is rather old.Fingers crossed, you never know.
Just maybe we can give this cracking little hobby a shove into the 21st century, just maybe it might catch on big time or at least bigger time.
best mark.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 22, 2003 12:16 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
A good place to start might be your local newspaper. I have contacted one of the film critic's of "The Orlando Sentinel". A few weeks ago he wrote a terrific article on the 50 th anniversary of "Shane". I contacted him and told him I had a beautiful S8 film print of Shane, and asked him if he would like to see it projected on a 6ft screen in my home. He was thrilled at the invitation and I expect him to come over as soon as his schedule permits. Hopefully, if I can twist his arm, this might lead to an article on S8 film collecting in the Orlando Sentinel. I'll let you know.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2003 05:19 PM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
General media may be easier to use. Remember that 'home cinema' magazines live from the ads that push this junk. Experience in a parallel activity taught me that anything remotely critical of advertisers' wares gets watered down.

--------------------
Tim

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2003 06:10 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
May I please go on a slight tangent for a little while.
Every year from October to March I give film presentations to Historical Societies. One each occasion the audience is made well aware that we use film as opposed to tape/dvd. At the end of the evening there is almost as many questions about the medium as there are about the chosen topic. These shows without fail get reported in the local newspapers and all my bookings are by word of mouth, I have never advertised a single word.
At the moment I have 10 bookings between October 6th and December 19th with a few in the new year. People are amazed by how good 8mm looks and a few old film makers I have encountered have mistaken the GS for 16mm. Film is alive and well in this little outpost!
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 22, 2003 06:21 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cymru am byth!!!!

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2003 03:52 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Earlier in the year the BBC were interested. But as always seems to happen, people show an interest but at the end of it nothing gets done. It's easy to get your hopes up just to have them dashed in the end. That said, any mention at all in the media is a job well done.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2003 04:27 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers Paul!
Just how many Welsh speaking people did you find in Orlando?

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 23, 2003 04:48 AM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Example is probably the best form of promotion. Give shows ('private', of course, remember copyright!); if you also film in 8mm, join a local photographic group (I did: now I have a talk to give on 'scope!).

The reaction to the odd shows I give has always been very positive with people vowing to get their old gear out and start using it. Be prepared for questions about film and equipment sources: take some kit with you - camera, editors etc. We can't compete with the advertising budget of the 'home cinema' industry, but we can at least start and effective subversion!

--------------------
Tim

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 23, 2003 08:36 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mal,
I see the occasional Red Dragon license plate when driving around O-town, and there is an active Welsh- American club here in town.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

D'Arcy More
Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2003 09:34 AM      Profile for D'Arcy More   Email D'Arcy More   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I belong to a local chapter of the Sons Of The Desert. Our ten is the Leave 'em Laughing tent. Whenever we get together it is always DVD or VHS that we watch on one of the members washed out big screen systems. But the one meeting that is ALWAYS held at my place is the Halloween meeting. Now none of our members (about 12 of us) would ever make the step to 8mm simply due to cost and convenience. But I will say this much.......they ALL LOVE the way 8mm is presented. I have a built in projection booth. Permanent 6 foot screen, wall sconce lights, GS1200 hooked up to my stereo...the works. Even though the main jest of the meetings is focused on "The Boys", sometimes I can sneek in a little spooky short to give it that Halloween appeal. My home theatre is adorned in original movie posters from the 30's and 40's so Bela, Boris and Lon Chaney are staring down on my guests. I would love to do some sort of public showing of film at the local library but this town of 72,000 people are too much into sports. Seems like the only culture Peterborough gets is from their yogurt. [Frown]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC