8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Fix Eumig Lamp

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fix Eumig Lamp
Jason Verlen
Junior

- posted September 25, 2003 09:15 AM      Profile for Jason Verlen   Email Jason Verlen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone recommend a trustworthy repair person in the US to fix the following problem:

I have a Eumig Mark-S Super 8 Snd projector. Works great. However, the lamp won't light. The lamp itself is fine (tested it in another projector), so it is probably the ceramic holder. The correct holder seems to be easily available (I searched the web), but I would need someone who knows how to do the connections electrically.

Grateful for any assistance.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 25, 2003 12:59 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason,
I have replaced the ceramic lamp holder many times on my Eumig projectors. You can do it yourself very easily, no need to have a repair guy involved at all. The method that I have used is as follows:

1. Remove the back speaker panel of the projector ( 2 screws)

2. Cut the two wires going to the lamp socket , leaving about an inch length of wire exposed where it comes out of the wire bundle inside the plastic tube at the top of the projector.

3. Connect up the new lamp socket leads to the two exposed wires in the projector using a plastic terminal block which has 4 screws to clamp the wires from the lamp socket and the projector.
Radio Shack sells these little plastic terminal blocks. Make sure you buy the type where the contact screws are shrouded by the plastic insulation.

Now the next time you have to replace a lamp socket, all you have to do is loosen two of the screws on the plastic terminal block, insert the leads from the new lamp socket, and re-tighten.

I have found that Home Depot sells the Halogen lamp sockets, or if worse comes to worse purchase a complete Halogen track light (about $18.00) and cut the wires to the socket to about 4 ins long before wiring into the projector.
It really is very easy to do. And no matter what sockets you buy, expect to replace them every few years as they corrode and lose their contact pressure. Wipe the lamp contacts with Vaseline before plugging in the lamp. This will help to make good contact and prevent welding of the lamp pins to the lamp socket contacts. Make sure the lamp is lit in the low voltage standby mode. If it is'nt, then you have poor contact due to oxidized lamp contact pins ( clean the lamp pins with emery cloth).

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Henry Perangelo
Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2003 01:26 PM      Profile for Henry Perangelo   Email Henry Perangelo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually don’t recommend a projector repair of any kind because it is so much cheaper to get a good replacement off of ebay, etc. But if for personal reasons you want to keep your projector alive I have had very good success with the following company:

Atlantic Camera Repair
276 Higbie Lane
West Islip, N.Y. 11795-2822

(phone) 631-587-7959
(fax) 631-587-7750

I have had work done on both 8mm & 16mm machines.

-Henry-

Jason Verlen
Junior

- posted September 25, 2003 06:12 PM      Profile for Jason Verlen   Email Jason Verlen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you both. I'll try the "do it yourself" approach with Radio Shack and if I screw it up...then I'll send it off to get fixed.

Regards.

Jason.

Jason Verlen
Junior

- posted November 25, 2003 01:50 PM      Profile for Jason Verlen   Email Jason Verlen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For anyone who has a Eumig projector with this problem (bad ceramic lamp holder) I tried the solution recommended by Paul Adsett above last weekend and it works great. Took less than a half hour. Got the barrier strip from Radio Shack for $2 and the correct ceramic holder for the EFP lamp from Purelandsupply.com for about $20.

Paul - thank you!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC