8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » projectors sold on eBay....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: projectors sold on eBay....
Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2003 09:32 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure many of this forum's members have either bought or sold a projector on eBay. I have bought, sold, and RETURNED several myself. As it has been stated here many times before; MOST of the ones that are auctioned are OLD, and many(but not all) are shot or need repairs. Too bad they don't have odometers like a car...i'd like to know the mileage on some of these machines before buying ! MOST of the people selling them have ABSOLUTELY NO KNOWLEDGE,OR EXPERIENCE with these machines they sell; and some buyers put out big bucks in good faith only to get a piece of junk. Yet I keep seeing the terms MINT, FULLY TESTED, JUST SERVICED, ALL NEW BELTS,etc., especially with top makes like ELMO. Some of the B.S. in their descriptions would make a carnival barker want to buy one! So it's BUYER BEWARE! Be prepared to do some repairs or have them done by someone. BUY the money back guarantee if available! And BE SKEPTICAL of a "MINT" projector! The last one I bought was a burned out junker. When I returned it to the folks at PayPal for my money back guarantee, I truthfully told them that the original box the machine came in was worth more than the projector!

--------------------
Joe Taffis

|  IP: Logged

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2003 02:07 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth...I've bought four projectors off Ebay... One was a Eumig advertised as just for parts..and it was that and I was happy. I got a virtually mint Eumig 810d ..which is spectacular...and at a very cheap price. I got an Elmo St 1200...which the seller mistakenly listed as a magnetic /optical machine. When I got it, it was the standard magnetic, but I was given a healthy refund...and kept the machine..which was again, operationally and comestically just about mint. I also bought a 16mm Pageant projector off ebay recently at a very low price and it is a beauty. So I must say that , unlike many folks, buying projectors off ebay has been, for me, a joy.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2003 05:44 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gary, not all my buys have been bad. I got a couple of great Elmos on eBay, along with the junk... [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2003 12:46 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a CHINON 7000, a EUMIG and 2 B&H 2580's and they are all working fine. The EUMIG has sound drop-outs from time-to-time, but I understand that the sound heads on the EUMIGs are crapola and were originally only guaranteed for a very short time frame (obviously a plot to create the on-going need to replace projectors after a scant few years). I also ONLY buy projectors and film from the same few dealers I have transacted business with over the past 3 years. I can't stress enough how critical it is to ask the seller(s) if the unit has been FULLY tested with SOUND film running through it. I've had more disappointments with film than with the units to run them on. One bad film buy was so exasperating I had to involve our state's attorney general's office in order to get the s.o.b. to expedite my refund (which he did). I have sold projectors on EBAY that were not the best, but I was crystal clear about what the problems were and sold them for dirt cheap (under $20). In fact, one buyer wrote to tell me that the B&H 16mm unit I sold her (which I thought was broken) actually turned out to only need a minor torque adjustment which her husband was able to correct. Who knew?!

Colin Preston
Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2003 02:08 PM      Profile for Colin Preston   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that you can get some rubbish but I think on the whole, you get as described and things are usually quite good. I recently bought a Eumig S710D. You wouldn't beleive the condition of this. Mint in box, was an understatement really. I don't think it had even been used once. Even had a Eumig Mic with it.

Lots of people who bought projectors and cine cameras, did not really give them much use. A few home movies maybe and then they got stored in attics and garages for 20 years or so. They slowly get uncovered and make their way onto eBay and Carboot sales. And they are the one you are after. The ones that have seen about 10 hours use and stored safely away

You just have to be careful I suppose. On eBay though, if it is not as described, away it goes.
Cheers
Colin [Roll Eyes]

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2003 02:40 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have only ever bought one projector and that was something of an accident. But I questioned the seller and got a good vibe. When it arrived, the ST1200HD was perfect in every way, hardly used.
Joe, I was lucky that time!

Tony

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC