8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Low sound on an optical print

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Low sound on an optical print
Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2003 12:45 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a very good colour print of "Speed Fever"(optical) but the sound is LOW! Anyone else struck this problem?I would have thought such a print would have been rejected rather than released?Trev

--------------------
Trevor

|  IP: Logged

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2003 05:37 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trevor, some years ago I had a lovely print of 'City Heat' but that too had a low sound track. It almost seemed like it was just one side of a stereo recording. It put me off ever buying another film with an optical track. (on 8mm that is)
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2003 08:11 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Since Super8 optical prints were never applicated, that's not the problem. Agfa stock had a different cyan dye than Kodak and it worked better on the dye tracks. Perhaps you've got a re-print on Eastman stock?

More likely it's a problem in track placement. The specifications are critical and with such small tolerances, a sliting error or printing error could make the track barely useable. This presumes that you have no problems with other optical sound prints on your projector and you've tried this print on other projectors.

A fraction of a millimeter error in track placement/scanning will make the track low as will poor exposure of the track on the print.

I highly recommend that you make pre-screening of an Super8 optical sound print a must before purchase.

John

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC