8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Warped Reels-A question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Warped Reels-A question
Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2003 05:23 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing Richard's thread prompts me to ask if there is a nice easy solution to putting both metal and plastic reels back in true if they have warped a little causing the film to catch?

Tony

p.s. I know about the waste bin solution! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2003 10:38 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Most metal reels can be "formed" back into alignment if done carefully with the proper tools. It takes a bit a care and a good eye to know where to bend and how much.

Plastics are another matter. Some have a "memory" and if slightly heated (hair dryer, etc) will go back to their original position. Others will melt before they will respond so it's a bit of a gamble.

Both are worth a try before your waste bin option.

John

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2003 10:52 AM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Metal reels are usually the greatest problem because any distortion will result in stretch of the metal - which is almost impossible to undo. If you take them apart (tabs only allow this once - with care) it is possble to dress the cheeks on a flat metal surface so the stretching is propagated out to the rim.

Plastic reels can be successfully dealt with if you have a warm cupboard available. Make card spacer rings slightly oversize (say 10 mm), one ring for up to 600' reels, two for 800 to 12000', put the spacers in place, sandwich them between two sheets of chipboard, then put them in a warm cupboard at about 40 degC for a couple of days. This usually works for me.

Do not put them in a domestic oven and then turn it on. Even at a low setting, the temperature will overshoot and the reels will overheat and melt of severely distort. Warm an oven up to about 100 degC. turn it off, and then put the reels in with their spacers and chipboard formers and let themn cool down. This can work, but may need repeating several times.

--------------------
Tim

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC