8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Film Cleaners- Again!?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Film Cleaners- Again!?!
Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2003 03:10 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

Lots of threads on the old forum about various products. What I am interested in is your experiences with the various cleaner/lubricants out there. In particular, are certain products known to be particularly good at certain faults.

For example, I have heard it said that Cresclean is excellent for making base scratches invisible. Also, that thermofilm is excellent where a mag track is coming off heavily.

I have also had reports that the Derann cleaner is not necessarily suitable for all film types.

What experiences have you had?

Tony

--------------------
Tony

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2003 09:34 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LGP Cine still have Thermofilm available. It doesn't seem to have quite the same content of wax in it as days gone by but is still very good and better than anything else I've come across.

Remember RenoFilm? Introduced when it was believed Thermofilm wasn't going to be around any longer (about 10 years ago). Well that stuff melted plastic which obviously doesn't bode well for the films it was applied to.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2003 11:48 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,
Thanks for your reply-it was getting lonely!

I bought some Thermofilm to try but perhaps I am not applying enough to the film because unlike say Cresclean, I could not tell if it was going on. Any advice?

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2003 12:01 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tony

Stick to Crestaclean for removing scratches and Thermofilm for cleaning and preserving.

Other cleaners as previously mentioned melt plastic and warp older film stocks.

US collectors have other products that I am not familar with
but am sure others will advise you.

Regards

Mike

[ November 24, 2003, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Mike Newell ]

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 24, 2003 07:13 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, I also echo Mike's comments above and yes I also agree about some cleaners warping film or at least Acetate based films.
I dont want to outright say but one inparticular brand has certainly done this to a friends precious Acetate based super 8 and 16mm films [Mad] with no signs of any problem with Polyester/Mylar based stocks.
Cresclean seems to be very safe and doesnt have a go at your plastic spools etc [Smile] also Filmrenew works very well but seems to like plastic and destroy your tape splices but does seem to help restore film that has suffered at the hands of other products ie warping [Smile] .
Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC