8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Iver's "Helter Skelter" digest....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Iver's "Helter Skelter" digest....
James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2003 07:49 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was a made-for-TV movie based on the murders by Charles Manson and his "family" released in the mid 70's here in the U.S.A.

I remember this movie being released by Iver Super 8 in the U.K. as a 2 x 400 foot digest in the late 70's, but I have NEVER seen it on any used list, nor did I ever see a review for it in any of the super 8 magazines. Did this digest really exist? Has anyone seen it that would like to comment on the editing quality or how it has weathered through the years. Thanks. Nick.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2003 01:50 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey Nick, it definitely exists, i've seen it recently on a used list. I actually inquired about it, but it was already sold. I think it was Paul Foster's list.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2003 08:13 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes james I have a copy of this print it is the two 400 print and it is very well edited the second reel seems to be missing a few seconds as it starts out but none the less it is very well edited it shows the old lady coming home to the murders at the Tate residence and when the kids discoverd the LaBianca's then shows the day after when the bodys are examined then moves to the trial including charlies little speech he gave.
I got mine from Paul Foster films probably the same one you were inquiring about Joe I did see another copy on Derann's list and inquired about it since mine was cut but it was sold good film if you can gett your hands on it the clamshell box mine cam in was shot the plastic was so brittle so I bought a 800' Gepe reel and replaced it and took the cover out of the clamshell box and put it on the case.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2003 06:20 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. I will have to look for this one in the future. Iver released some pretty neat stuff in the 70's. Back then it was kind of difficult ordering overseas. I remember ordering the full length (4 x 400 foot) "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre". I waited about two months to get it (seemed like two years!), but when it came, you can believe I was the most popular kid in the neigborhood. The movie had not been seen in theaters in about five years, and was not re-released in theaters until 1982. By then, people were asking me "How could you have this film before its even been released?" That was fun........now back to 2003.....

OOps [Cool] I guess I got a little off the subject. Sorry [Wink] Nick.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2003 03:20 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I rented a 5x400ft version of Texas Chainsaw Massacre in my school days. This contained the footage missing from the 4x400ft where the surviving girl has just been covered with a sack and dumped in the father's truck i.e. the journey from the barbecue shack/garage to the home for dindins with Grandpa. Didn't come in such good boxes though - ordinary plain white card boxes.

Made some good pocket money with a 50p entry fee payable by fellow students. Next showing was the 3x400ft of The Exorcist.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2003 06:36 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks John. I didn't even realize that there was a 5 x 400 version of TCM. The two things I really missed in the 4 x 400 version was the opening narration (which gave it a sense of reallity) and the scene where Leatherface's brother, after being beaten by Pops, starts kicking the truck door and spitting like a little kid. That scene was so off the wall and had everyone in the theatre cracking up when I first saw it.

One thing I miss in the video version is the creepy Bryanstone Pictures opening. At least they kept that in the super 8 version. I'd love to see it again. Nick.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC