8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Should i clean my film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should i clean my film
Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2003 07:10 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, first of all I would like to a big thanks to those out there who helped me with my Elmo problems and a special thanks to Kevin. I'm pretty sure its the belt and have got two on their way, that's right I’m so impressed with the Elmo I bought another one. So I’m ready for any belt problems.
Now I’ve got a very nice print of "OH MR PORTER" it came in a tin wound on two 1200ft Elmo reels. It cost me £58.00 on eBay and I think it was a bargain, as the reels are worth £12.00 each and the film is perfect. It had new print 1978 written on the back of the tin, and I’m sure it's only had one screening, not a mark. In any case should I clean it, and how. Oh and it has a picture that must have been taken from the original box it came in, is there any way of telling who made the print?
Thanks again to all you cin'e nuts.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

|  IP: Logged

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2003 10:08 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally don't think you should put any chemicals on film unless they're needed. A simple slow rewind on a bench thru a velvet will remove surface dust and dirt without subjecting the film to any chemicals.

Others disagree and especially 16mm collectors have developed a habit of soaking their films in chemicals.

John

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2003 10:33 AM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dust and dirt are the main causes of wear and scratches. Although mine is a minority view, I clean film with propan-2-ol (isopropyl alcohol in old money) only when necessary and don't lubricate. However, all projectors are cleaned thoroughly and often (alcohol). All rubbing surfaces are then treated with spray polish. AFTER EVERY SESSION!

--------------------
Tim

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2003 03:35 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with John -- I only clean prints that badly need to be cleaned -- otherwise, leave them alone.......

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2003 04:04 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

Why do you not lubricate the films? Is it a general concern about the reaction of film lubricants with dyes in the emulsion? Do you have any evidence that supports your view?

Just interested, I am NOT challenging your view!

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 01, 2003 04:30 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
What an interesting topic. I do clean my films with Cresclean and find that even new prints seem to run through the Elmo's much smoother and with a steadier frame line. I also think that it helps to make the mag stripe surface a little less aggressive on those delicate sound heads which are now getting harder to come by.
I think there are schools of thought for both using and not using these cleaners/lubricants and I'm one for using them. [Smile] I do however think there is evidence in my own collection that 2.22, which is no longer available, did speed up the dreaded fade on some of my Eastman prints. [Frown]
Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2003 05:01 PM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tim,

Why do you not lubricate the films?

Tony,

Firstly, I'm lubricating the projector film path. Those spray polishes are really very hard wearing. (I'd use a silicone lubricant, but when you ask about long-term safety with plastics, the manufacturers get very coy.) Secondly, I feel that anything applied to a film that may make it to any extent sticky is likely to hold onto dirt or grit.

It is amazing how much dirt builds up, especially in the gate, even when running clean films through them. Dual gauge Eumigs with removable gate assemblies are easy to clean. For the others - than goodness for cotton buds!

<gloat>I found a Casablanca trailer!</gloat>

--------------------
Tim

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2003 06:01 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derek Simmonds would often remind customers to treat new films before projecting to avoid stuttering and wow. I believe the term he used was that new films were 'green' and needed lubrication.
Chris, with regard to 'Oh Mr. Porter' Walton released a 4x400 version that fitted two 800ft spools. DCR released the film full-length at 5x400ft so you may have the complete version.
A few years back Derann re-released the film in its full version using the DCR negative but that was, I think, in the early 1990's
I have the Walton version in its original boxes and the label clearly states 'WALTON'
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 01, 2003 07:35 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in agreement with Kevin. I use FilmGuard to clean & lubricate my prints, especially the ones I've gotten from eBay. At the very least one should use John's method on a newly acquired print. Never thread up a print without checking it first. Ask D'Arcy to tell his "staple edit" story......
This site may be of interest:
http://lavender.fortunecity.com/lavender/569/moviefilmlubrication.html
Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2003 01:09 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev,

Like you I have found Cresclean very effective at hiding lines. But how can we be sure it is inert when it comes to film emulsions? I had not given that much thought? Will Classic face law suits from us in 10 yrs? Oh, sorry s8 won't be around then (joke!).

BTW is it just me or have ebay film sales slowed?

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2003 02:59 AM      Profile for Heinz-Juergen Schachner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

as I am buying used super8mm features mostly, I must say that I prefer them not to be treated by any film cleaner. I have received several prints that have been treated with film cleaner and if you look at the prints closely you will notice many residues of the fluid on the prints that look like small puddles. Sometimes these residues can even be seen during projection.

Best Wishes

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Germany

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC