8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » LOTRs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LOTRs
Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2003 07:13 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night they had the premier showing of the 3rd part in Wellington.I noticed FOTR was on Sky so I thought I'd best have another go at watching it.I was comfy and in a good frame of mind and had plenty of Jaffas to eat.I STILL went to sleep after about an hour!I woke to see the end. Just can't be my thing.Seems to be about 90% computer generated-sort of a gothic electronic variation on the L.Frank Baum storyline.................

--------------------
Trevor

|  IP: Logged

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2003 01:12 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trevor

I find Jaffas can have that affect on me as well............

Zzzzzz
Zzzzzz
Zzzzzz

Tony

--------------------
Tony

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2003 02:19 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too find the film a total bore. Kept waiting for something to happen but nothing ever did. Couldn't get up any enthusiasm to see the sequel and have even less to see part 3. The thought of another 3 hours shifting in my seat...

And I thought the special effects were in the main bloody awful.

Bring back Ray Harryhausen. Remember "Jason and the Argonauts"? Now there was a dose of cinematic magic and not a computer in sight.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2003 04:12 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep,nothing beats a reel of Jason or Mighty Joe Young or Lost World or Kong.Good ol' Willis and Ray!Trev

--------------------
Trevor

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2003 06:44 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It took me about two weeks to get through the first one on DVD. I'd fall asleep and then have to continue where I left off the next day. Or I'd have something to do. However, I must say that I really enjoyed the second one much better (Two Towers).

One thing was, I saw it in a huge theatre with a huge curved screen. Second, it had more interesting elements that the first one- mainly being the CGI produced "Smeegle" character. I am certainly no fan of this computer animation stuff (give me Harryhousen or drawings), but the character himself was very interesting and kept me drawn in.

If I see the third instalment, it will have to be at the cinema! Nick.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 02, 2003 12:57 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Must say I agree not a fan of the new breed of special effects, I expect its been said many times but also prefer the old type ones in the earlier Star wars and find the newer ones less something.
You can`t beat actually seeing something real like the stop motion ed 209 in Robo Cop. Gives it a certain filmic quality.
Must admit having been going through a few of my 80`s titles on DVD)( sorry ) I also think film making was better then and also less smartie type comments ruining things.
Or am I just an old/youngish stick in the mud.
Best Mark.
PS Talos is just way beyond anything, I still get strange vibes when I watch that.

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2003 01:24 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don’t believe it, These films are the best thing that I have seen in along time. The pure quality in the performances by Elijah Wood, Christopher Lee, Sean Astin.
Effects are kept to a minimum and not in your face like most films these days.
I strongly disagree that the film is 90% special effects, come on, Smeagle has a real person under the graphics, what would you have them do, put him in a suit like something from Dr Who.
The whole film reeks of quality, unlike the rubbish that has come from Hollywood lately. And yes indeed there is a story, something missing from many films these days that now just rely on special effects. Peter Jackson hasn’t gone for special effects he wanted people to leave the cinema talking about the film as a whole, not just caw about the great special effects. Peter Jackson in my opinion has done the books real credit. Not many directors would have taken up the challenge to put this story on the big screen. I have read the book several time since my childhood days and I am one of the few people to have read the Sillmarillion. How any one can cuss these films is beyond belief, you should all be ashamed of yourselves and have your projectors confiscated for a week. Shame on you all.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2003 01:31 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

Well said, I can't wait for the sequel. Enjoyed the second one more than the first.......my precious.........

What about the Matrix then???? (that ought to start a flaming thread!) another good one........

Now where did I put the Jaffas.......

Tony [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
Tony

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted December 02, 2003 01:39 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have seen all the stop motion animation from the day as well. I love all the films you have named. Mighty Joe Young- Jason and the Argonauts. I remember loving the Golden Voyage of Sinbad and that wooden female monster on the boat. Great films those..and i saw the Sinbad films in the theatres!
And I also LOVED the LOTR films! I knew from the first frame of the Lord of the Rings that this film was special. The photography, the music, the narration by Cate Blanchet, wow. I am so excited to see the last one. You gotta love Gollum. Special effects wizardry at its best!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2003 03:04 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found The Matrix a bit of a bore too. Nothing original - seen it all before.

Good that a lot of people enjoyed Lord of the Rings. In the main it seems to be people who love the book and are able to forgive all the abbreviations necessary to commit it to film. Sadly for me it was a colourless ordeal to get through it. Many people have told me they thought the second film was better but I thought the first one was so dull I really couldn't face going through the same torment again.

There have been a few really good films in recent years (Gladiator being the only one I can currently think of) but there have been others I enjoyed (namely Spider-Man - YIPPEE!). However, there seems to be a missing element in modern movie making today - I think that element is 'magic'. Too many film makers are obsessed with computers. Just look at what Disney have recently done.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Xander van der Merwe
Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2003 01:37 PM      Profile for Xander van der Merwe   Author's Homepage   Email Xander van der Merwe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also didn't fuss much over the FOTR and enjoyed TTT a bit more. Unlike The Matrix, where I didn't bother to go and see the 3rd installment (waiting for the DVD release), I am actually looking forward to ROTK. I did however think that the 1st Matrix installment was a _very_ good movie.

Any good movies lately? My all time modern favorite must be Moulin Rouge -- the movie you either love or hate [Smile]

I must start a new thread on your best and wors movies ever...

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 03, 2003 08:16 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a Tolkien fan by any means (never liked reading a story where I would have to refer to the glossary over & over) but I think the LOTR films are an incredible achievement. With "precious" little knowledge of the story beforehand, I found myself totally swept up in the world that Peter Jackson created. The relationships between characters that one cares about are the main attraction with the special effects being an added bonus. I never once looked at my watch as I did during Gangs of New York or the second Matrix. Now...imagine if Harryhausen & Jackson collaborated.....
So Trevor has a weakness for orange chocolate balls?
Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 06, 2003 06:40 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw the first LOTR then the second and cant wait for the third. Superb job done of the Tolkien books even if the bum was a bit numb after each sitting.
Have any of you seen the 400ft super 8 Derann scope stereo extract from FOTR its absolutely stunning and I highly reccomend it as a good example of what can be achieved on super 8 expecially if you can play back stereo sound tracks. [Smile]
Come on Duncan yet another plug for you there. [Wink]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC