8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Splices- advice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Splices- advice
Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2003 01:35 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are splices bad for your projectors health? Do they cause additional wear and tear?

What are the best forms of splice? Cement? Tape?

What are the best splicing devices around?

All advice welcome,

Tony [Smile]

--------------------
Tony

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2003 02:46 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always stuck with Fuji Single 8 splices. Just a slight 'click' when they go through the gate and only cover two frames. Classic still stock the tape and generally have second hand splicers for a tenner.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2003 03:08 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Minette tape splicer was my favourite for many years until they stopped making the splices. For the last 15 years I too have been using the Fuji and the Elmo's appear to like them.
I believe you cannot use cement splices with the modern polyester film stock.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2003 01:28 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tony --

Splices wont hurt your projector.

Cement splices only work on acetate based stock - so if your print is mylar (estar) based, then you MUST use tape splices. Tape splices also work fine on acetate - so as a rule I just stick with tape...

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 06, 2003 06:32 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I agree with John about the Fuji splicer but my favourite is the Wurker tape splicer from Germany which uses patches and cover either 2 or 4 frames and leaves both stripes clear. Good for stereo films. [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC