8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » I smell a GS1200 Ebay scam, stay away. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I smell a GS1200 Ebay scam, stay away.
Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2003 02:04 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2969666616&category=15255#Shipp ingPayment

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 06, 2003 03:29 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan,
Maybe your nose is more sensitive than mine. Where exactly do you feel that this is a scam?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted December 06, 2003 05:53 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sniffed it like Beagle, but came up with nothing. I do have a slight cold. The seller has great feedback and I.D. history. Inquiring mindless collector wants to know. [Confused]

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 06, 2003 06:06 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Dont get your drift Alan? They sell for between £1000 - 1500 in the UK depending on condition and age.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2003 05:09 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen this one listed before (about 5 weeks ago) by the same seller with the same pix. Maybe the deal wasn't closed and it's relisted... if so the seller would do well to state the fact. Maybe that's why it looks like it could be a scam [Frown]

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2003 09:11 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ricky

I remember seeing a couple of Argentinian Ads for GS's. I thought at the time it was a little unusual and I wondered how big s8 was in that country.

Where a buyer has a relatively low feedback and insists on a wire transfer or similar I am always suspicious. At least by paying via a credit card you have the ability to go back to the credit card company-pay cash and your on your own.

I did a cash transfer with a chap in Germany and all was well but I only did so because of his feedback and that I know it is difficult to use credit cards in Germany.

Buyer be ware!

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2003 10:11 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys anytime someone posts a sale asking for western union type payments,watch out. Im telling you this is a scam.

The Buy now for $15000 is another tip off. Send him the $1500 and you will get nothing. You also have no legal recourse.

The pictures are also blurry. They look like a scanned copies. I will bet he does not even have possession of this projector.

Ricky
These guys keep relisting the same adds ripping as many people off as possible until its reported and Ebay pulls it.

This one smells fishy.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2003 01:24 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

There is another odd one at the moment on ebay - Rsuarez I think. I have seen this guy list about 4 GS's on ebay yet I see no feedback from the sales and also he only accepts anything except paypal or credit cards! Surprise Surprise.

Tony [Eek!]

--------------------
Tony

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 07, 2003 05:09 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I had emailed this guy before this deabte started and this is his reply:

Hi Kevin:
This is the second projector that I sell. Have a voltage selector in the back, 110v to 240v.
If you use BUY IT NOW , shipping to UK is free.
Adrian

Shipping to UK Free and with an f1.0 lens [Eek!]
Now I do wonder.
I have in the meantime asked if the pics are of the actual machine on offer as that is important in determining which version it is.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2003 05:49 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I emailed the seller,I asked if I bought this I have a friend in Argentina and it would be cheaper for me if he picked this up for me as he visits the states once a year.
I ask what part he lived in and asked if he would ship locally or could my friend pick it up.

This was this morning. No answer yet. If I dont get one in a few days that will red flag the purchase for me.

[ December 08, 2003, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: Alan Gouger ]

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 17, 2003 11:31 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Well guys, I have paid up fort his machine so fingers crossed that it does arrive. The guy does seem genuine in his emails etc and he has certainly answered all my emails even before my purchase. He tells me that it is the late version and comes complete with all its accessories. He even gave me the Serial Number which confirms that its slightly newer than mu own machine. Anyway I'll let you all know how it goes. Lets hope it has a happy ending.
Kev. [Smile]

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 17, 2003 09:23 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev,
In the true spirit of optimism I hope you enjoy your new GS with that great 1.0 lens.
Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted December 18, 2003 12:39 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2972344652&category=15255
If you are asking $1800 for that machine it would be better to show the machine as opposed to pictures taken off the internet or scanned from the manual? Also the comment that says includes all accessories. What accessories? I would be wary of that machine for sure.

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2003 10:56 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan Rik that is the same guy.

Kevin

I wish you best of luck. I truly do have a friend ( customer) in the same city and offered for him to go and pay for the machine and pick it up. Danny gave me all kinds of excuses and all he cared about was me pre paying via western union.

Now we see this new add with scanned images. Im telling you this is a scam.

I agree with Alan Rik be very careful. Never and I mean never send money via WU or any other method he has mentioned. Once you've sent the money ( its as good as cash) you have no recourse.

Kevin please let us know if you do indeed get the GS. I hope we are all wrong.

Thanks!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 18, 2003 10:59 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a real cliff-hanger. I hope for your sake Kevin, that Alan is wrong on this one.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2003 11:10 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin

Did he provide a tracking number?

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 18, 2003 05:01 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul, so do I. He hasnt shipped it yet Alan but I will push him on that score. I have to say I sent the money through to him on Tuesday but I havent heard from him since. He did say that he would be on hols on Wed & Thurs so maybe he emails from work. Fingers crossed because the details he sent me of the machine says it should be a good one. It has the f1.0 lens and all its original accessories and the pics although soft in focus were of the actual machine he has sold me. I checked some of the other items he has sold on ebay and all his pics look like that which suggests a cheap Digital Camera?
Anyway I'll keep you guys posted. Kev.

--------------------

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2003 05:49 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev,

No worries as I have a bottle of champagne (and a tin of corned beef- for international readers this is an old UK joke- waiting for you) You can't go wrong here because if it arrives we celebrate and if not comiserate!!!!

Tony [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

Ian O'Reilly
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2003 01:19 PM      Profile for Ian O'Reilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice One Tony!
We can always rely on you to bring a little humor to the Fourm even if it's is at Kevin's expense.
Just like I had from you when I lost (had Stolen) my classic American car. [Big Grin]
Regards
Ian

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 19, 2003 02:11 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I agree with you Ian, there's a side of Tony we dont see very often. He will get his come uppance eventually and as they say "he who laughs fisrt, laughs last" etc etc. [Big Grin] Kev.
PS not too fond of Corned Beef. [Confused]

--------------------

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2003 02:18 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My goodness, a rare posting from Mr Super 8 himself! Welcome back oh great one....... [Razz]

I sincerely hope that this works out for you Kev and like the rest of the guys here will be chuffed to eat a load of humble pie (with cream though).

For large scale purchases like these I would advocate the use of either a letter of credit from a bank which can be made out in favour of the buyer or buyer's bank. This is basically a bank guarantee of payment to the seller provided he complies with the conditions of the letter of credit. In its basic form you would require the seller to submit shipping documents or airway bills to the bank as proof of shipping whereupon the money is released to him. You can get more sexy about this and ask for verification on arrival of the goods in the UK. In theory this is a no risk situation for the seller if he is genuine.

Alternatively, use an escrow service where the money is held by a third party and released to the seller once the buyer has confirmed he is happy with the goods.

Finally, FORCE the seller to accept PAYPAL or any means of payment where you use the old credit card since (for the time being) you will have full recourse to the credit card company if it is a fraud or the item is accidentally damaged. If necessary offer him an extra $100 or so as an incentive.

For those who already know this then please correct any mistakes inthe above.

Kev, I will be on edge all Christmas (except when drunk)(so I suppose only on edge for a short time). Let us all know asap

Tony [Frown]

--------------------
Tony

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2003 06:44 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

Did you get the projector? Did I miss an update?

Would love to know if you got it and what the condition was.

Happy New Year

John

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 31, 2003 07:22 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
John, He has told me that it will be shipped on the 2nd of Jan when he returns to work so fingers crossed.
I'll let you all know the outcome. Kev.

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 07, 2004 05:25 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Well guys it on it's way from Argentina. Am tracking it's progress on the Fedex site. Should be here before miday on Friday. Suppose it could be a box of bricks or the GS in kit form after it's long journey. [Eek!]
Tony may just have to eat Corned Beef after all and give me that Chmampers (Not yuck) but a Whisky will suffice. [Smile] Kev.
Just noticed that this guy is selling a Beaulieu 708 Stereo with optical sound! didnt know they did optical.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2976696503&category=15255

--------------------

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2004 06:11 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev, to start the new year off right, here's hoping for the success of your deal!(he said, as he downed another pint of Black & Tan....) [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC