8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Most gripping 400ft Digest?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Most gripping 400ft Digest?
Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2003 04:28 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was sorting out some stuff this evening and had another look at an Ivor digest,TWILIGHT'S LAST GLEAMING. Through clever use of split and quartered frame,a mass of action is conveyed.It is a real heart stopper and in my book,the most gripping 400fter I've seen.
Interesting to see Cliff,the cowardly thick postman from "Cheers",delivering a small atom bomb into silo 3-a change of pace for John Ratzenburger!Trev

--------------------
Trevor

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2003 11:11 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Multiple pictures in a super 8 frame? That is so creative. I will have to check that one out. I have always thought that Iver Films was sort of under-appreciated. They did a very good job in the digest market, as well as releasing some of those films that werent really big block busters, but very interesting and fun to watch (Dark Star, Giant Spider, Helter Skelter, etc.)

During my big digest-collecting days from '75 to '82, it seemed that super 8 digest companies were getting really skilled around 1979 with the release of "The Omen" and "Alien" (400 footers). These, in my opinion, were some of the best, well put together digests put out by Ken Films of New Jersey. With the creative use of the soundtrack, lap-disolves, quick fades, and keeping the same atmospeare and suspence as the full length feature, you could really tell that a lot of time and money was being put into the editing process. And it seemed that the editors put alot of pride in thier work. It's ashame that the talented people who edited the movies werent even credited for the fantastic work they did:confused: .

As the digest days came to a close, during that last year (was it '82 or '83?), you could tell that the editors and company owners were just rushing things together so they could close up shop and move on to video. Did anyone see the 400' of "Dressed to Kill" or the 800' of Xanadu? If so, you'll know what I mean.

Still, I'm thankful for the many great ones that we were able to get, and still play well today!

Nick.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2003 02:26 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most gripping 400ft digest? Try Dirty Mary Crazy Larry. How about the Derann 400ft of Phantasm (edited by Ken Locke who did the VistaVision talk at the last BFCC). Alien is very good but does rather miss out on the real ending. Damien Omen 2 makes a rather poor film look very good.

But the pick of the bunch... it has to be the 400ft cut down of Pearl Harbor.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 17, 2003 09:45 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Universals 400ft edition of 'Psycho' is very good and pretty scary. It opens up with a long conversation sequence between Norman Bates and Marion Crane at the Bates Motel, in which Norman's obsession's are clearly established. Then the shower sequence, the stabbing of the Detective on the staircase, and the final revelation of the corpse in the basement. A really well edited digest, and good print quality too.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Xander van der Merwe
Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2003 05:52 PM      Profile for Xander van der Merwe   Author's Homepage   Email Xander van der Merwe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was very impressed with the 400' Caine Mutiny. I thought the narration worked quite well.

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2003 09:07 AM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree the Ken digests were very good; they even edited dialog so that it made sense in terms of the digest. And PSYCHO is a good digest, especially considering the time limit (the print quality makes me wish that they had released a full print). Most of the Universal 8 stuff was well done; the scope digest of AIRPORT is fun to watch. My only complaint with the Universal 8 titles is that many of them have hacked up credit sequences; if there is action going on beneath the credits, it looks chopped up and amateurish (ANIMAL HOUSE and JAWS are 2 examples). Why didn't they simply freeze the frame? Lap dissolves would also be preferable. But the digests themselves are good, and the cut of JAWS is pretty much what any of us would have done given a half hour running time.

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2004 04:51 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two of best cut digests in my opinion were Spielberg Duel
and The Desert Fox with James Mason.

Duel was superbly edited by Universal 8 and contains the storyline so well you have thought it was cut that way if you havent seen the movie.

The other which is unusual for Fox/Ken used the original narration from the Feature to link scenes in a skillful manner
and again gave a good digest of the movie.

Other good editing jobs would be Slapshot and Smokey & The Bandit
which had so little storyline to start with you actual enjoy the edited version better than the feature.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 13, 2004 02:52 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed some of the old digest as well, it's weird because about 5 years ago a iwrote to Derek simmonds and asked if any digests,preferably the 600, would ever be done of some of the big features they released, die hard, predator to name but two and at that time he explained that the empasis and demand was for full length features because of the Video market, it now seems to have come full circle with Pearl, 5th elelment and gladiator etc, i wonder what goodies are on the cards, two for me would be saving private Ryan and the last samurai, the trailer in scope to the later is superb. [Wink]

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2004 02:53 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobodys' mentioned the MGM digests and as I have made it my mission in recent months to collect all the titles I thought I should put a word in [Smile] .

Several of the MGM digests I have bought I have never seen the full feature of so it has been interesting from that perspective to see how well the stories held together. Two good examples of this I think were 'The Champ' and 'International Velvet', the trouble with 'The Champ' though is that I get the impression that for maximum effect the editor has included all the scenes from the film where the little chap is upset and crying hence; a very effective weepy in fact a bit of a sob fest [Frown]

'International Velvet' I have never seen the full feature of and don't think I could sit through it but the 18 minute version hangs together well and is thoroughly coherent unlike 'Showboat'. I recently picked that up from Ebay and having been impressed by other condensed MGM musicals I was surprised at just how poorly put together it was, it seems that there are many half numbers included and at several points the film appears to have come to an end with a climatic fade out but a glance at the projector reveals that there are several minutes still to go.

'High Society' and 'Singin' in the Rain' on the other hand are good examples of how the musical/dance numbers on their own make up a very impressive cut down; sort of a video of the LP [Wink] .

My all time favourite MGM digest though has to be the 2 x 400 fter of Fame. Excellant, and being a child in the 70s [Cool] it is pure nostalgia for me, added to which is good editing, a coherent plot line and the best musical numbers all included in full.

Mike.

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 13, 2004 03:05 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MGM did have some great titles and their 3 x 400fts were some of the best edited films on 8,they were one of the first to use the sound fade and picture dissolve for smooth cuts and where eagles dare is a prime example, if you can pick up the mini feature in good condition its one of the best releases on 8.i think unfortunatley that they do suffer from a lot of colour fade never the less they did have a lot to offer.

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2004 04:41 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Universal 8s "WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE",stunning colour (still is-no fade) and a thouroughly entertaining twenty minutes.The box is as good as new too!

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2004 05:20 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that Universal 8's digests of the 3-D films "Creature From The Black Lagoon" & It Came From Outer Space" are true master cuts, the editor of each digest knew these films backwards, as they run smootley, and the story is conveyed brilliantly. The only trouble I have with these 2 films is the fact I wear glasses, and those pesky 3-D glasses are a nuisance, still this doesn't detract from the actual cut of the films.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2004 06:29 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definately Marketing films "Raiders of the Lost Ark". It captures the pace and style of the feature perfectly and has belting sound! Rumour is that Spielberg himself had some input into the editing. Anyone know if this is true?

I once picked up a 400ft Piccollo version of "Omen 2" (German sound) but what a difference compared to the Ken version. Masked for widescreen, much more generous footage and a completely different edit which really captured the flow of the original. Unfortunately red as anything! Anyone else seen any Piccollo versions that are an improvement on U.S. edits?

Like Barry, I also love the Universal 3D 400 footers, but always thought that "Creature" kind of started in the middle of the story. Having found the 200ft B&W version, I discovered a really increadible piece of editing, plus lots more of the opening scenes from the movie. These were quickly spliced to the start of the 400 footer. It suddenly pops into 3D just as Julia Adams jumps off the boat, but what a difference to the overall story!

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2004 03:01 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting how many folks mention the same titles..some of the best are those Jaws and Smokey and the Bandit 800 footers...really nice jobs. Alien...very nicely done. I really love the 400foot Ken of Silver Streak. But , as I've said before at various times....for print quality...creativity and sensitivity to the original movie....I'm continuing to be amazed at the old Castle 200 footer of Frankenstein. Outstanding use of superimposed credits. .dissolves....optical wipes...just a great condensing job that leaves you feeling fairly satisfied.....as opposed to some digests which end and you say, but what about this?...or that? ...or that didn't make any sense. !!
Castle's Bride of and Son Frankensteins are good too. But the editor on Frankenstein really deserves some credit. It would interesting to find out who it was and talk to him/her.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2004 03:06 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The great thing about the 200ft Son of Frankenstein is that you can cut it into the 400ft digest to make a nice 22 minute digest.

It adds a good 3 minutes to the start and make the abrupt start
of the 400 less jarring and at the end the monster is seen to disappear into molten lava.

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2004 04:50 PM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob,

you looking for Piccolo versions that are an improvement on U.S. edits?

Piccolos "Cannonball" shows much other scences. Together with the U.S. edit it have a running time of an three parter.

In 1981 Piccolo Film was dissatisfied with the quality of the universal8 negatives, so they made their own versions.
Xanadu, The Island, Smokey and the Bandit II.

1975 replaced Piccolo columbia edits "Guns of Navarone", "Bridge on River Kwai" and "Lawrence of Arabia" with their own edits.

Phantasm (Piccolo 2 x 400 feet)
Squirm (CMV 3 x 400 feet)
Goodbye Emmanuelle (Piccolo 2 x 400 feet)

visit my also web page. for more information.

I need help. I want to fill up the empty fields on the page.
Who can help?

Andreas

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2004 04:02 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If we are talking about 2x400ft edits, then one of the best has to be the M.G.M. cut of the Marx Bros. comedy "A Night At The Opera", the print and sound are superb, and the editing is sublime, as most of the famous scenes are included, (the overcrowded cabin, and the 'sanity clause' routine, magic!),how I wish this was released F/L by Derann when they had B/W stock. If your a fan of the Marx Bros. (as I am), then this is one to search out for.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2004 03:41 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andreas, thanks. I'll look out for these different versions.

Loved the pictures of the box covers on the web site. I love to see the different art work / design on covers I've never seen before, especially on movies I'm very familiar with.

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2004 06:25 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to agree with the earlier posts regarding the 200' FRANKENSTEIN -- truly a masterpiece in terms of editing! I would also rate the 400' (3D) CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON as being right up there. I just wished Universal 8 would have issued a "flat" version since the 3D effect has lost some of its lustre over these last 25+ years.

D'Arcy More
Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2004 10:58 AM      Profile for D'Arcy More   Email D'Arcy More   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In regards to the Son of Frankenstein extra footage, I agree with this....I too added on the extra footage and it really does help the story along. The same goes for Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman. about 60% of the 200 footer can be easily spliced on to the front half of the 400 footer and bump up the footage an extra 125 feet or so in length. I am told The Mummy can be done this way as well but I never got a chance to see due to it being released in full length, I opted for that print instead (which I HIGHLY recommend). Mummy's Ghost and Mummy's Tomb are two others that the 200 footers can be added on to to somewhat help the storyline. I will have to keep my eyes peeled for a 200 footer of Frankenstein.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC