8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » a mixture of Walton, Airline prints, and red!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a mixture of Walton, Airline prints, and red!
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 31, 2003 11:50 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Plymouth we had movieland international super 8 dealear run by Roger Lily who unfortunatley passed away a couple of years ago and we often had some great topical chats, one being with regards to Walton films. Just an astonishing fact i'll never forget, just as they were in the mids of closing Roger and a few other dealers had a chance to visit them and buy up some of their stock,(hence so many titles sold through Derann at that time)i was shown a treasure chest of films in Roger's office ready for sale and he told me the two copies of 2001 space oddysy in scope uncut on the top of his pile were bought for £50 each, apparantly at that time the man in charge didnt even know he had them! [Eek!] There must be some more bargins out there somewhere, i want one [Frown]
Airline prints are almost always edited for family viewing, including the little shop of horrors. A great read on this subject is in FFTC Mag issue 41, PAGE 4-5.I asked Derek where these prints originated and if you have that edition take a look, its an amazing read, specially when you see how many were destroyed after use so we collectors could'nt get them. [Mad]
Just a brief note on prints turning for the worst in particular Marketing films, very recently i was informed by our friend Mr Foster that the 3x400 prints tend to be very good with keeping colour as these were printed by a different lab to the feature films, this explains why so many so called "rare features" from marketing are very often turning or turned by the time they get on the lists. I always fancied a copy of Lethal weapon but being optical i shudder at the thought of how much this film must be edited, or is it? Can anyone enlighten me.
Happy new year to all. [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2003 01:31 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Tom

I have a copy of Lethal Weapon, it's an airline print with optical soundtrack. The colour is good with no redness going on and like most airline prints, the definition is superb!

Can't comment on how much it has been edited though because it is the only format of this film that I have ever viewed!

Mike.

[It's not for sale by the way] [Wink]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2004 04:11 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The airline print of Lethal Weapon is the same version shown on television (although they probably show the theatrical version now as no one cares about violence and bad language any longer). The opening sequence is completely different to the theatrical version in that different camera angles of the same scenes are used but runs for exactly the same time on both version as pulse sync' still works perfectly (they used different angles as the girl was half naked and nude shots couldn't be used). However, this process doesn't continue for long and very soon the cuts become obvious and the only way to keep the film in sync' is to stop and start the projector at the relevant places (which makes the job impossible).

Thankfully the torture sequence is all but removed and there is no bad language which makes the film more enjoyable for me.

I recorded the TV version on VHS but unfortunately it's chock full of commercial breaks and is mono.

Still a worthy purchase as the print quality is very good. The soundtrack is poor though.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC