8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 1.0 lens for Elmo GS1200 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 1.0 lens for Elmo GS1200
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted January 03, 2004 01:57 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw this today. Its not mine for sale but someone here might be looking for one. I paid $350 for mine through the Widescreen Centre many years ago so the starting bid is not bad.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2976886554&category=15255

Good luck!

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 03, 2004 01:59 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Alan, but I think that is well over the top. Most f1.0's seem to sell for about £150 normally so I think the starting bid of £165 is a bit high. The guy should have started it at a lower price and put a reserve on it.
What do others think?
I prefer to use the excellent Schneider Xenovaron f1.1 which is every bit as good as the Elmo 1.0 for light output and seems crisper. I think it has a flatter field of focus.
Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted January 03, 2004 02:20 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In regards to the price..true.. I could have been taken! It has happened before. [Smile]
I haven't tried the Schneider but I have been told by 2 people who have owned them both that the 1.0 lens is far superior. Ygnacio, the owner of the Fumeo 500 watt Xenon model who owns the Beaulieu with the schneider and the Xenon Elmo with the 1.0 says that you can tell the difference only with the SMPT test film. When you are watching a film he says the difference is unnoticeable. Do you have to get a sleeve to adapt the Schneider to the Elmo?

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2004 04:12 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul Foster quoted me £185.00 for the f1.0 and £135.00 for the f1.1 if he had one, but can't find one [Frown]
I'm looking at this lens on eBay but unsure to bid or not, [Confused] would love a lens like this but it is expensive, would i really notice a great deal of difference on my 5ft screen after using my standard Elmo f1.3. Trouble is i want it all, and i want it now, i don't really need food and I’m sure the building society will understand, along with the Inland Revenue. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2004 04:20 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something which needs to be mentioned here is the Elmo lenses unfortunate habit of developing bloom.

I have an f1.0 which I bought for £120. It was advertised as new in its box and when I contacted the seller I was told it had never been used so would be in first class conditiion. When it arrived it was indeed in its original box with velvet lining and both end caps, further it didn't show any signs of wear, however it has a nasty case of bloom.

I had a quote about a year ago for this lens to be stripped, re-polished and re-assembled, it was £85 I shall probably have it done at some point, until then I'm happy using the f1.1 which seems to do just fine [Wink]

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2004 05:37 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Elmo 1.0 and I think it's better than the others lens.
I have a ring to mount the Schneider on the Elmo, so I ran some tests. I used the SMPTE and one of my films shot in double super8.
With the 1.0 the focus was perfect on the center like the edges! Better than the Schneider 1.1 (note I have three Sch. 1.1). The sharpess was better too!

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 03, 2004 07:40 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Guys I might have to bow down on this one but have any of you set the focusing screws on the lens holder for optimum sharpness across the whole of the whole picture? I suspect not. This has to be adjusted for optimum performance with the lens fitted. Bet no other manufacturers did this on their machines to get the best quality out of their lenses. I also agree with Mike. A lot of the Elmo f1.1 and 1.0 lenses are suffering from bloom. I have been told that this is due to the cement used for bonding some of the elements together within the assembly. The Schneider lenses are superb lenses but you can not just put the lens in to make a comparison you must set it up properly with the SMTP film or another good film such a a nice grainy non striped freshly processed film. If you take your 28mm xenovaron lens and put it into a sleve manufactured by whoever and tighten up the grubscrew to hold it into the sleve how on earth can you expect it to be in exactly the correct position in the lens holder. Elmo didnt give you the lens adjustment screws for nothing. Some Elmo machines I have come across give superb results with the 1.3 but give crap results with the Elmo 1.1 or 1.0. Thats down to the setup when they leave the factory. You have 3 screws on the Elmo lens holder for adjusting the optimum definition of the lens on ALL Elmo super 8 machines. Use Them!
Do it properly then come back and tell me the Schneider is crap. Why do you think Tony Shapps sold the Schneider Xenovaron instead of the Elmo lenses? One other point to note is that the Elmo Lenses give a slightly warmer/yellow look comparred to the Schneider/Isco lenses which look bluer. Kev. [Wink]
PS. Ugo I am after another 2 xenovaron 1.1 lenses so if you dont like them you have a buyer. [Smile]

[ January 03, 2004, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Kevin Faulkner ]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2004 03:08 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I doubt I will add anything else sensible to this thread but the first thing is what is an Smt? film and where do you get one? I assume some sort of testcard?

Thanks Kev for the advice, I will try to find the screws this afternoon and then spend the rest of the week trying to get it back to where I was in the first place! [Wink]

Now, I have had 2 schneider Xeno's. Both were very different with the first not being as good as my 1.0 and the second being better than the 1.1 and about the same as the 1.0. I spent a whole weekend swapping lenses trying to see what the difference would be. I concluded that to some extent it was like judging a good wine-the differences to a newbie like me were very subtle.

I would agree Kev, that the Schneider is bluer and the Elmo 1.0 more yellow and this seems to suit some films better than others. Mary Poppins for example, is a little cold and I find the 1.0 warms it a touch.

What amazes me is the schneider is next to nothing in weight compared to the Elmo which is a joy to hold and look at. Then again I have only ever used schneider lenses in printing photo's and thought they were fantastic so no surprise re the projetion variety.

Chris, I have all 3 lenses- not sure where you are in Bedfordshire but perhaps we could meet sometime and you could see all 3 in action?

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2004 03:51 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev.
if you want I have a Schneider 1.2 for sale. I have the others 1.1 on three different machines (a Bauer t600 and two Fumeo). I tried to mount the 1.0 on the Fumeo, but it's impossible because of the different distance between the lens and the film plane.
About the fungus or bloom inside the 1.0, if it is on the frontal lens, there is a way to clean it at home.
Take away the rubber ring around the lens, and then wrop a paper adesive tape (that one yellow) around the lens in the place of the rubber ring. Four or five turns are necessary. Take away the pin focus too (to avoid hurt to the hand).
Done? Well. Now with your hands unscrew the lens! When the first black aluminium ring will be disassembled, you'll get the frontal lens. Clean it with water and soap.
I did it on two Elmo 1.0 without problems.
About the SMPT, this is the link:
http://www.smpte.org/smpte_store/standards/
Send a mail to ask if they have again in the stock the super8 test film
here the test film picture
http://www.laboratoriomilano.com/soffitta_IMG_1.jpg

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2004 05:28 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello

There has been some talk about Kev' doing a piece for the FFTC magazine and I think this would be the ideal subject, perhaps Ugo and Kev' could join forces? I would very much appreciate a step-by-step manual on how to adjust the lens in my Elmo and also an idiots guide to setting up a Scope lens properly, I am sure that I'm not getting the best out of my scope films and nowhere have I been able to find a definitive guide about distances, focusing, depth of field and which lenses work best with which scope lens.etc.... How about it guys?

Tony, if you and Chris get it together for a meet up and a screening session perhaps Kev' and I could come along too [Wink]

Mike

--------------------

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2004 05:54 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,
Have sent a private message to Tony, Well up for a meet and screening, Great if a few of us could get togeather, love to meet you all.
Chris.

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 04, 2004 07:02 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ugo, Yes please to the 1.2. I will email you privately about this.
Thanks for those links. I have some SMPT super 8 but it is getting a bit worn now so I will follow up your link and try to get some more. [Smile]
How about it then shall we put some articles together for the FFTC. I have also stripped the Elmo 1.1 lenses before and you are right they can be cleaned up as good as new. I would like to point out though that this must be done in a very dust free area otherwise the lens will get dust inside. [Frown] Kev.

--------------------

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2004 09:04 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone is enthusiastic about the quality/non-quality of the wider aperture projection lensesand their varying attributes.Everytime and quite rightly,the image on screen falls into question.
Could it not be the fact that the lens may be actually performingexactly as it is supposed to,and exposing (no pun intended) the inbuilt abberationsof the actual print.Furthermore,are you actually screening films for enjoyment or just to access the technical prowess of your machines?
This is Super8 we are talking here and when its good (more often than not) it is seriously good,but when it is poor its bloody crap and inadequacies will show even using a 1.3 lens,for that is what is on my 1200 and it vertainly shows up duff prints.
The most valid point raised above is in my opinion not the lens,but the adjusting of the gate mechanism and that is where most of the problems arise.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2004 09:20 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watching the films? Ahhhh that's where I have been going wrong. I seem to spend more time winding, cleaning and rewinding them! Then I just like watching the projector reels turning and checking the lens for bloom (if only I knew what to look for). By the time all that's done I have run out of time [Big Grin]

I agree with you Barry and suspect that this is a case of "Boys Toys" (sorry Girls-non PC comment) and there will always be someone who want to get a bit more horse power from somewhere.

Better sell those lenses......(Kev-joke mate [Wink] )

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2004 09:52 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dammitall Tony! If its 'coming out' time in this film projecting world of ours then I too love watching the reels go round.
There.I've said it.
Anyone else going to come clean!!!!

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2004 10:12 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to say, I too spend at least as much time watching the projector as I do the image on the screen.

And as we're being honest with each other, is it only me that loves the smell of the cooling air being blown out of that little grill on top of the GS 1200? [Roll Eyes]

Mike

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 04, 2004 10:25 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh the smell from the little grill!!!!!!!! Enhanced more if you have just lubed your film.
Mike your right they all have that smell and I think its down to one of the greases used. A very characteristic smell indeed.
Me personally, well I like the side down on my GS so I can watch those little sprocket wheels turn and tensioner moving slowlu up and down. The trouble is the light tends to spill over the screen.
Kev [Wink]

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 04, 2004 10:31 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow watching videotape wrap around the playback head and seeing the counter advance doesn't give quite the same thrill.
I believe Derann's Scope alignment reel would also serve the purpose of gauging lens sharpness.
Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2004 11:09 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No big secret here, i love my projectors, and watching them reels spinning, if we were only interested in the films we would all have boring video projectors. Buying film on celluloid, setting the projector up, putting the screen up, connecting the speakers, and then rewinding the film carefully back. Brill, not every one has this stuff at home; they have DVDs and Video, but not the real thing.

--------------------

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2004 11:51 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhh the smell of the projector, and his skin, his arms... mhhh
I have a photo of a nuke GS1200 from "PLAYPROJ".. XXXrated thing...

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2004 12:01 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WARNING WARNING
ALL THOSE "SNIFFERS" READ THIS
CAUTION CAUTION

A "friend" was badly injured whilst performing the "sniff" exercise on an ST1200 . You are advised to ensure all nasal hair is trimmed to the appropriate length lest it get caught up in the fan blades...messy if you get it wrong.....

Ugo, I keep a piccy of my Elmo's in my wallet but they are all decent

Tony [Wink]

--------------------
Tony

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2004 01:29 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK then guys,whilst everyone is coming clean on their sniffing habits,hands up those that take a deep breath and sniff the life out of a reel of film when taking it from its case?

Thought you might!!

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 07, 2004 04:32 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Better still Barry, How about the smell of fresh emulsion when you tear open that sealed foil with a fresh super 8 cart inside Ummmmm. [Cool]
Back to the original subjetc have you guys noticed that the bids have started on this f1.0 lens and its up to £227.00 [Eek!] Kev.

--------------------

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2004 04:58 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish some of these revelations had been posted sooner. It would have saved me a small fortune in psychoanalist fees trying to cure me of most of the quoted syndromes.
Mal

[ January 08, 2004, 04:07 AM: Message edited by: Mal Brake ]

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2004 05:28 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin: Well blind-on mate,cannot fault that one on fresh S8 cartridges.Hould not mention this on this site but 100ft spools of 16mm K40 really does get the adrenelin running!

Any more of this loose talk and we will be branded as junkies!! [Cool]

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC