8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo 800- Help needed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sankyo 800- Help needed
Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2004 01:57 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Sankyo 800 that has suddenly developed an odd noise. It is only apparent in forward projection and pulses- it sounds as if there is something catching like the shutter blade but I can't see anything on a hand turn, only when in full flight.

On closer examination, I notice that when pressure is applied to the large white plastic cog above the ??worm-gear?? in front of the shutter assembly the noise disappears. There is also a slight movement in the worm -gear shaft assembly and when you press the front of the worm gear in forward projection the noise appears and is steady. Infact look close and you can see a tiny pulsing in the worm-gear shaft assembly when in forward play.

There is a couple of nuts on the end of a spring which is placing some tension on the white cog and again if you apply pressure here the noise goes. I don't know what this mechanism does- is it a question of tightening this spring? I don't want to cause any damage.

If this makes any sense- can someone advise?

Thanks

Tony
[Frown]

Update

Think I now have the cause of the problem!! I am wondering if this projector was modified at some point because I think the problem is due to 3 little magnets (I think) glued to the shutter blades which pass in front of a small coil like object mounted just behind the shutter on the chassis. One of them was just catching the tip of the coil and that would explain the pulse effect. The coil thing is connected to a DIN plug mounted in the rear of the projector.

Flexing the shutter blade cured the problem, but what is this modification designed to do???

--------------------
Tony

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2004 03:06 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is just a guess but during the seventies pulse sync recording and double system filming were popular, they spawned a number of Heath Robinson contraptions that were designed to pulse sync projectors to tape and cassette recorders.

It was possible for instance to buy from Elmo a whole set up that would allow you to pulse sinc an ST 1200 to a reel to reel tape recorder or the Elmo SR-1 cassette recorder via a synchronising device. This kit included a little gizmo that was attached to the chassis of the ST 1200 in a spot where it could detect the movement of the shutter and hence sync up the tape recorder. I wonder if it is something like this that has been fitted to your Sankyo 800?

Mike.

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 13, 2004 03:54 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It definitely sounds like some sort of pulse-sync device, but I thought they pulsed once per frame, not three times per frame.

I wonder if it's actually one magnet and two hunks of non-magnetic metal of equal weight to keep the assembly balanced.

[ January 13, 2004, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2004 02:34 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had what could be similar noises on GS-1200's. The solution was to grease the cogs. You could just try a tiny spray of WD-40 on the cog in question to give you an immediate answer. If it is just in need of lubrication the noise will shut-up.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2004 08:00 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I can't help you on this one Tony. I am on my third Sankyo ST-800 since 1980, and I have not experienced anything like that. I have had occasional problems with these projectors, but could always tinker with them to fix them. The only thing I wasn't able to fix on one was when the sound went out.

These are pretty good machines and when everything is working correctly, they give an outstanding show! (especially with the 1.1 or 1.0 lens).

I kept the machine with no sound for parts.

Nick.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 14, 2004 08:36 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
That setup is not normal on the Sankyo 800. If the coil just goes straight to a din socket then I would say like others before me that this is a retro fit for an aftermarket sync system.
I would also think like Steve that only one is a magnet. This would then give you one pulse per grame. The din is probably connected to a reed switch. I think that if I was you, and not intending to use a sync system, that I would remove all that stuff and return your machine back to its normal state. [Smile] Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC