8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » BFCC Rumour Quashed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BFCC Rumour Quashed
John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2004 04:52 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The BFCC oprganizers are concerned about rumours currently being circulated that the the two British Film Collectors Conventions of 2004 have been cancelled. Film dealers are reporting customers contacting them about these rumours, which we can confirm are untrue. We request collectors to pass on this information to fellow enthusiasts, either by word of mouth or by e-mail. Please help us kill this malicious rumour stone dead.

There is also no truth to rumours (originating from the same source?) that Perry's Movies have ceased trading and that Keith Wilton has given up film - someone out there really has a vivid imagintion to suggest that!

For information on the BFCC, including the dates for 2004, news about our hobby as a whole, please visit www.bfcc.biz

Keith Wilton and John Clancy 14th January 2004

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 14, 2004 08:45 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I hadnt heard those rumours and cant understand why they would have been started.

As for Perry's closing down maybe it's because Ian doesnt answer his emails. Ian if your reading this please answer your emails otherwise I will send Tony and Mark round to see you! lol [Wink]

Anyway we are all looking forward to the next BFCC and hope its as good if not better than the last one. Just one request though John, Lets have the old hall back for the shows.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2004 02:17 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I hadn't heard anything either.

Agree with you Kev re Perry's. Ian is clearly too fond of his movies to part with them...have been trying to buy a couple of films since before Xmas........

In all fairness to "Mr O" he did have some family issues in December which I hope are now all OK.

If you want, I can always throw a couple of cans of corned beef at him!

Tony [Wink]

--------------------
Tony

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2004 02:35 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't throw too many corned beef tins at him or else you'll run out of material for two bladed shutters.

Kevin, which old hall. We've used the same halls for years now. The original Nelson and Chaplin rooms are no longer available - Chaplin is used for storage and Nelson has had the curtains removed. Hence we now use the large Victoria Hall for the May convention and the Queen's Hall in October.

Both conventions are different. In May we tend to show off with big impactful shows now with the addition of THX sound. In October we do the interesting stuff with talks and demonstrations etc.. We do these in the Queen's Hall because the Victoria Hall is too big and just wouldn't work. It is important to have two varied events to keep people coming back. The same thing every six months could get a bit repetitive and dull.

It's an interesting point that the October event generally receives a better response from the audience than May. Personally I think many collectors find the big hall a bit intimidating.

By the way, we've posted up a complete issue of 'Super 8 Film Review' on our web site. This is the May 2003 issue and if you don't subscribe to Derann's 'Film For The Collector' magazine this could be just the incentive you've been looking for. You'll find it under the top hyperlink on the Super 8 Film Review page on www.bfcc.biz .

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2004 05:23 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, as you and Keith know, I have been a regular at the BFCC for some time. I agree that the two conventions are different and long may that continue. However I feel that the projection of 8mm suffers a little in the Queens Hall. The 24ft screen is great for 16mm and 35mm and has great impact,but because the audience is much closer to the screen (and I sit towards the back of the hall) 8mm doesn't look as sharp as it does in the Victoria Hall. The Queens Hall is better for the talks but to enjoy 8mm at its best (just my opinion) the Victoria Hall wins.
Mal
p/s give my regards to Rupert of Ealing

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2004 07:08 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rupert of Ealing!!! Very good. I understand he received a new pair of yellow check trousers for Christmas.

I agree with what you are saying about 8mm, although I would say that it is superior to much of the 16mm material we have screened. (Before anyone bites my head off, modern 16mm is always going to be better than Super 8.)

We've tested Super 8 in the Queen's Hall quite thoroughly behind closed doors and I've sat in the front row and looked at some pretty average prints. They still look worthy contenders to me. Of course, all prints vary and in some cases we've had to show stuff that doesn't come up to scratch. What I will say is that I consider the recent Super 8 releases taken from good masters to be more than capable of 24ft and viewed from close quarters. There will always be the odd cock-up like a sequence from Alien I screened a while back; it didn't run through the Xenon machine smoothly despite being fine on every other projector upon which it has run.

If anyone is in any doubt a look at something like the "Pearl Harbor" 400ft would settle the argument. "Fall of the Roman Empire" would be even more conclusive. And as a final example; being so impressed by the quality of "The Animatrix" sequence in the Queen's Hall caused one 16mm collector I know to immediately visit the Derann stand to purchase a print. He hadn't purchased any 8mm for years. It therefore must be pretty impactive and obvious when something outstanding comes up. What better way to decide on what is or isn't a good print worthy of purchase?

Just wait for the Super 8 shows in the Victoria Hall on May 15th. Wouldn't you all like to know what is penned in to be shown with 5.1 digital sound through the THX system?

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 15, 2004 08:18 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
"Wouldn't you all like to know what is penned in to be shown with 5.1 digital sound through the THX system?"

Of course we would John so spill the beans now before a couple of cans of you know what come heading your way.

Above, I was meaning the Victoria Hall. I agree with Mal in that the Queens hall seems just a bit too small and to far out of the way to just nip in and out between shows and the dealer stands.

Anyway we super 8 collectors still very much appreciate the shows you Keith etc put on for us whatever hall you use and we will carry on supporting you where we can. [Smile] Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2004 02:24 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good man. Let's hope this rumour hasn't got out of hand and made many people think the film convention is finished. I just don't understand why anyone would want to do it. Makes me wonder who we've upset so badly.

STOP PRESS: Keith Wilton has just let me know two new 'Scope 400ft reel releases have arrived for review from Derann (those I referred to in an earlier post regarding the THX pulse sync' show at the next convention). I think it's up to Derann to announce their release so get on with it Duncan!

--------------------

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2004 05:31 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, have to agree with you about 'Animatrix' and 'Pearl Harbor' but I think they are exceptions. Just my opinion but most run-of-the-mill 8mm looks better when viewed in the Victoria Hall.There is also less chance of heads being in the way due to the raised level of the screen. ( Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D effect was lost for me because of a tall person directly in front of me cutting the screen in half)
Mal.
I'm glad those trousers I sent to Keith arrived safely.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2004 05:41 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pearl Harbour and Animatrix are not exceptions any longer. Print quality is generally of that standard nowadays and that was the point I was making.

Although I would concur older releases and stuff released from lesser quality masters look a lot better in the Victoria Hall. But this is true of prints on all guages and not just Super 8.

Pity about the tall man with the hat sitting in front of you during the 3D show. It is a problem squeezing enough seats in the Queens Hall. Sorry about that.

Keith doesn't half look nice in his Rupert Bear trousers.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC