8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS1200 Auto Threading Depress Lever woes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS1200 Auto Threading Depress Lever woes
Xander van der Merwe
Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2004 02:30 PM      Profile for Xander van der Merwe   Author's Homepage   Email Xander van der Merwe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having troubles with the auto threading depress lever not releasing. It does not seem to make a difference whether the takeup reel automatically winds the film up or whether you have to do it manually. It does sound like the micro-switch under the takeup film makes contact (I can hear the click) but the lever just doesn't release and the light doesn't come on as a consequence. Stopping it and turning the takeup reel clockwise a few times to activate the switch doesn't help either. The only way I can get it to work is to randomly forward, stop, reverse, forward, etc until I get lucky. Last night it took me about 5 minutes before I got lucky...

Any ideas? Is this a common problem? Is it likely to be the switch or the lever mechanism itself? Any pointers as to how to try and solve this? I had the whole machine serviced about a month ago.

TIA

|  IP: Logged

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2004 05:02 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the micro contacts of the switch are burning out. You have to disassemble the micro switch. It's not difficult. Do you have the service manual? Anyway, before to disassemble it, try to clean it with a spray for electric contacts.

Look here...
ftp://ftp.filmshooting.com/upload/servicemanuals/

it's a zipped file.

When you disassemble the switch, before to change it, test it! You have to close the contact with something of metal.
Some little suggests to disassemble the frontal lid (that one with the VU-Met).
Open the posterior lid; in corrispondence of two corners of the frontal lid there two screws (unscrew). Now, looking the frontal lid, under the main switch (stereo, mono ect.) there is an other screw. When you remove the lid, be careful because there is a cable (with a socket) which connects the vu_meter to a board.

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Xander van der Merwe
Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2004 05:25 PM      Profile for Xander van der Merwe   Author's Homepage   Email Xander van der Merwe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Ugo for both the tip about the switch and the link to the service manual. I will start with the switch.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 21, 2004 04:39 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Xander,
As Ugo says it will be the microswitch. The contacts get dirty and only partially make contact. In my experiance I would not bother to try cleaning the switch but replace it with a new one. It resides in the back behind and to the left bottom of the top sprockets drive cog. Its a bit of a devil to get out but you should be able to manage it.
Any small microswithch will work. They are at least standard in their layout and size.
Had to replace one this weekend for exactly the same reason.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Xander van der Merwe
Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2004 01:43 PM      Profile for Xander van der Merwe   Author's Homepage   Email Xander van der Merwe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. I successfully replaced it last night with a similar one from my local electronics store. It was interesting to me that when testing the old switch with a multimeter it appeared to be ok. Anyway, all is well again and working like a new one [Big Grin] .

I discovered that my GS1200 is dated as 21 Nov 1979. I imagine this would be one of the latest models?

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 22, 2004 06:26 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Where did you find this date Xander? If its the one printed on the main motor then this only refers to the date the motor was made. Elmo seemed to have big batches of these motors made so the date doesnt really tell you when the machine was made. Its also possible that the motor had been changed at some point if it had failed.
Does it have the lines on the vol controls and the rear facing loop restore lever?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Xander van der Merwe
Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2004 01:43 PM      Profile for Xander van der Merwe   Author's Homepage   Email Xander van der Merwe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the date was on the motor and it does have the rear facing loop lever and lines on the control knobs. I was under the impression (incorrectly so?) that the motor date implied the projector date?

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2004 02:04 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Xander,

I think that this is a very strong indication of machine age and the fact it is a series 3 makes it all the more likely. Give or take a couple of years.

Are you enjoying it? I was most impressed by your pictures of the cinema you have set up. Such an understanding partner you must have!!!

Tonyb [Wink]

--------------------
Tony

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2004 03:11 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it might be interesting to look at a few serial numbers and see if there's a discernable pattern [ok I know that sounds really sad [Roll Eyes] ] but I wonder if there will be for instance an indicator in the serial number that refers to date of manufacture, version and type ect?

Here are my two for starters;

Serial no: 825756 Version 1 originally sold 12/11/79 [thats 12 November UK style [Razz] ].

Serial no: 825292 Version 1 Motor date July '79

Mike.

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 22, 2004 06:39 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I can feel this one turning into a very long thread. It now looks like there is a Ver 1.5 GS and not just the 3 vers. I have now seen 3 GS's in week which have the take up motor control board but with the fixed non switched front input roller. This vers has only 2 poteniometrs on the control board. Interesting, as they obviously knew that the mod needed to be done but probably waited till they ran their stock of older sprocket guides down. The 2 pot control board has the place for the 3 pots but the third podition is not drilled out.
We live and learn.
Kev. [Smile]

--------------------

Xander van der Merwe
Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2004 05:06 PM      Profile for Xander van der Merwe   Author's Homepage   Email Xander van der Merwe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My serial number is 828363 with rear facing loop lever and lines on controls.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC