8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » SANKYO help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SANKYO help
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2004 02:59 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a SANKYO SOUND projector that when I attach the electrical cord and fire it up... all that happens is the little white fan thingy (in the back of the unit) spins for about a second... and then "kaput"....Nuthin. Can this be repaired?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2004 12:04 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a SANKYO 500 SOUND if this helps. The light in the machine comes on, but that's it I just can't get it do anything else.
It's a shame because i would hate to have to just throw it away.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 19, 2004 12:41 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad,
Just a little more info....when was the last time the projector worked properly? Also, when the volume control is turned to max is there any audible hum?
Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2004 02:53 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure when it worked last. It belonged to a neighbor who no longer wanted it and gave it to me before they moved away. Yes, there is an audible hum when the volume is turned up.

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2004 04:17 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad.
The problem could lie in one or more of the following:
a) a failure in the motor (it might just need cleaning rather than replacing)
b) an electronic problem in the motor control board
c) the rubber drive belt might need replacement.
All you can do in the first place is to open the back of the machine and see if the belt is still in its place.
If it is, try to remove it momentarily and turn the motor's pulley by the hand in order to assess if it moves freely or if the motor needs cleaning/lube. In this case it is possible to open it and work.
If the belt is broken you can replace it with an O-ring of adequate diameter (you may need a few trials, a piece of rope can be useful to determine circumference)

Lastly if all of the previous do not lead to any result, you may have to replace the control board or have it fixed by a techinician (it maight have a problem with some electronic component). It shouldn't be very difficult, though as it is basically a 2-channel (18+24 fps) DC motor speed regulator; any skilled techinician should be able to figure out how it works even with no circuit scheme.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Maurizio

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 19, 2004 04:44 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
It could be a simple mechanical problem. When a projector isn't used for a long period of time, the grease/oil accumulation on the gears and shafts can render them immobile. Open up the back (unplugged for now) and take a look. If there is a manual advance knob try it and see how the drives work. If the grooves are clogged try WD-40 and use the manual advance to help work it through.
Doug

p.s.- of course while I was typing this reply, Maurizio posted and beat me to the punch! Well...redundancy isn't always a bad thing....

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2004 01:04 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Douglas!
Now that I've read your post, I think perhaps I was a little too pessimistic. I hope I was wrong.
Good luck, Brad

--------------------
Maurizio

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2004 04:00 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Fellas. I'll keep you posted. BTW, where is the manual knob I can use to see if it advances? Not sure what I'm supposed to turn and i don't want to force anything.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2004 10:13 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Belt is ok. No cracks or splits.

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2004 06:43 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Brad.
Only the higher end Sankyo(-s?) like the 800 Stereo feature the manual advance knob.
As for your machine, I suspect more and more a motor control board's electronical fauilure, but it's diffuclt to say without having a look at the machine.
Sorry

--------------------
Maurizio

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC