8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo dualux 1000H - any thoughts?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sankyo dualux 1000H - any thoughts?
Xander van der Merwe
Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2004 01:54 PM      Profile for Xander van der Merwe   Author's Homepage   Email Xander van der Merwe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I purchased one of these projectors yesterday to use for showing regular 8mm films (this model has the 12v 100w lamp). It also came with 18 x 200ft films (castle, etc) that made the purchase even more attractive.

I also have an Eumig P8 but it just seems to be too old and bothersome to use.

The machine is slightly dirty but appears to be working well in that the picture is dead steady and the film runs through ok. The only thing that I'm wondering about is the fact that it is quite noisy in that the claw/gate (krrrr...) noise is very loud.

Is this common on these models? Any other thoughts before I open it up for a thorough cleanout? The manual indicates that all important parts have plastic bearings and therefore the machine needs no lubrication?

TIA

[ January 21, 2004, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Xander van der Merwe ]

|  IP: Logged

Xander van der Merwe
Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2004 03:01 PM      Profile for Xander van der Merwe   Author's Homepage   Email Xander van der Merwe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I opened up the rear of this projector and it looked very clean with no obvious visible problems. I cleaned out any dust and put a but of grease on the plastic/nylon gears (someone has greased them before). I then cleaned the outside as well as the gate area.

I then proceeded into my theatre (which you can see here btw) to watch a few regular and even super 8 200' reels. I was very impressed with a dead steady and quite bright image. After the cleaning the noise seems to be down a bit too.

I particularly enjoyed the B&W 200' version of "Doom of Dracula" -- every bit as eerie as I remember these old 200' scary films from my childhood [Smile]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 23, 2004 06:43 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Xander,
I read your description of your home theater, but for some reason I could not open up the pictures.
Anyway, I was glad to see you showing SUPER 8MM equipment on a Home Theater Forum, and describing how it can complement video projection. How does Super 8mm on the GS1200 compare with your video projector, and which do you really like the best?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Xander van der Merwe
Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2004 11:02 PM      Profile for Xander van der Merwe   Author's Homepage   Email Xander van der Merwe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, sorry about the pictures. I've just discovered that the domain under which I host my pictures had expired! I've renewed it and hopefully the pictures will show up again soon.

As far as 8mm vs DVD goes, I like 8mm and 16mm more than DVD but it is becoming harder and more difficult to compete with the newer and better transferred DVDs. My Sony HS10 digital projector is not the greatest in the world but it does have a 1366x768 resolution and when fed from a PC at exactly the same resolution it gives a stunningly smooth and detailed picture. The sound from DVD is also great and can't compare with 8mm. I guess I will try to run all 3 formats for as long as I can and mostly use 8mm/16mm as an opening short to create the right ambience. When HD DVDs come out in a year or so it will even be better. I would never like to give up 8mm/16mm though and would attempt to promote it as far as I possibly can.

I'm in fact opening a new DVD/Game/Projector shop in my local area in February and am looking at ways to have a 8mm/16mm corner in the shop where I hope to sell the odd 8mm/16mm films and stuff. It will probably the first shop in New Zealand in 20 years to sell this kind of stuff again... I'm not expecting to make any real money from it, but rather to create a wow factor in the shop and hopefully preserve the hobby for a bit longer.

Xander van der Merwe
Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2004 04:58 PM      Profile for Xander van der Merwe   Author's Homepage   Email Xander van der Merwe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
update: pictures of my theatre are working again (see link in 2nd post above)...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC