8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » KEN FILMS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: KEN FILMS
Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2004 03:49 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,Can any one tell me if the films made by KEN FILMS suffer from colour fade, going pink/blue etc, more than other makes, Castle etc. Thanks, Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2004 05:02 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris

I had some 400ft digests that were Ken films and they were a lovely shade of red!

Tony [Mad]

--------------------
Tony

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2004 06:06 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris, I don't know if KEN films "pink" or go "red" more than others, It seems that SOMETIMES it depends on how the films were stored over the years. I recently bought(and sold) some late 70's KEN 400' digests from different sources. In some, the colors were still beautiful(especially the ELVIS digests), and also there were some that pinked(worst was DRESSED TO KILL). I've also seen UNIVERSAL 8 digests with very good color and some also gone to pink or red. I think this was a topic on the old forum; and someone said it was due, at least partially, to the particular film stocks and processing used at the time. This subject keeps making me wonder about whether or not plastic reels cases that have no air vents have any effect on color films.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2004 06:14 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Color fading is a complicated product of film stock, processing and storage. The worst combination is Eastman stock from the 70s with poor processing and high humidty, temp storage (attic etc).

Best is Eastman Low Fade in a cool dry place, Agfa-Gevaert and Fuji. These stocks generally date from the late 70s to the end of production.

As for air hole/venting, this can have an impact of vinegar syndrome where the base starts breaking down, the film smells and ultimately gets gooy. Again storage and stock are important.

Cool dry dark storage is a good rule of thumb. Film likes it a bit cooler than you do and cool and dry.

John

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 21, 2004 08:19 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,
All of my Ken 200 footers have gone red (with the exception of Land That Time Forgot) but some of the 400's are hanging in there. Alien still looks nice as does the second part of Empire Strikes Back. Ken also distributed the MGM three parters. Clash of the Titans still has great color, The Time Machine looks good but The Formula & Cincinnati Kid have "warmed" up.
Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2004 12:29 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have KEN's "The Raven" and "Crimson Cult". "Raven" is still pretty decent with lots of blues and greens still strong, but "Cult" is very warm. "Cult" does have some blues and greens still in it, but for the most part it's pretty pink. My biggest complaint with the KEN titles especially the 200'ers is that the editing is usually atrocious and the narration (COLUMBIA did narration, too) leaves alot to be desired. Both studios felt the need to have narration explain(?) the missing plot elements, but it detracts more than adds.

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2004 11:10 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Guys for all your input on this, I think I will be wary when buying any KEN films, unless it's cheap or rare.
Chris.
[Smile]

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 23, 2004 03:42 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,
I always liked Ken Films as a kid because they had the shlock horror/monster titles. Ghidrah, Varan, War of the Colossal Beast, Equinox, etc. were fun to screen at home. It was pretty exciting when they announced their deal to release 20th Century Fox's library in color, sound and even 400' versions. Unfortunately, just as Brad said, their editing (merely ok to begin with) got progressively worse. "Planet of the Apes" and "Beneath" were done very poorly. "The Crimson Cult" is awful, with the narrator referring to Boris Karloff's Professor Marsh as "Mr. Boris"(!) and basically making up the names and the story as it goes along. Editing "The Day the Earth Stood Still" would seem to be a no-brainer. Just include all the Spaceship/Robot scenes. But Ken fills most of their precious 8 minutes with an expository scene between Michael Rennie & Sam Jaffe. I will say however, that they did a super job with "Alien", one of the best cut digests ever. Too bad the majority of their releases didn't reach that standard.
Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2004 07:46 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Ken reached thier high point as far as quality editing around 1980, with the 400 foot editions of "The Omen", "Alien", both "Empire Strikes Back" extracts, as well as the MGM digests that were coming out at that time (I'm not sure if they used the same editors for those but they were great).

I can't really comment on the 200 footers, as I usually opted for the longer versions. However, there were two titles that I did purchase in 200 foot format first- Star Wars and Squirm. I found the Star Wars 400 footer a huge improvement on the 200, but was very dissapointed with the Squirm 400. All they did was lengthen the talking scenes, no extra gore (which is what I liked at the time) [Wink]

Nick.

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2004 05:13 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I looking for listing of all released ken films.
Does anybody knows a link?

Andreas

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2004 07:34 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andreas,
Some info from Reel Image.

http://valueservices.org/reelimage/links/companiesgone/kenfilms.htm

--------------------

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2004 08:16 AM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Given that Ken Films essentially introduced me to film collecting way back in 1971 (thanks to K-Mart!), I've always had a special place for them in my film collecting heart from a nostalgia perspective. However, I totally agree that their editing left much to be desired until the late 70s to early 80s when they released MGM and other 20th Century titles. (It leads me to believe that other editors worked on the MGM and the later releases.)

While Castle had the prime Universal horrors as well as superior editing and print quality, I have to admit I also enjoyed the "schlock" titles that Ken released, even though the editing was choppy and the print quality varied widely to say the least.

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2004 03:49 PM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Chris for the link.

Does anybody knows about the partnership between
Ken Films and the german UFA?

What was the last release of Ken Films?

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 31, 2004 07:27 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Basically any film form any distributor released on Kodak stock prior to 1982 will be on stock which WILL fade. 1982 was the date Kodak released LPP. This is fine and holding up very well.
Agfa and Fuji had cracked the problem of cyan dye fade long before Kodak, and their prints are holding up very well indeed, Agfa probably the best.
Agfa used a differnt dye coupler technology to Kodak and it looks like it has paid off. [Smile] Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2004 06:30 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev,

I don´t think so.
Marketing Film, Germany let make already in 1978 especially thin polyester film from Kodak, which they used themselve and for their hard core adult lables. No other company I know used this thin polyester film stock. The colors of these polyesterfilms I have didn´t change. The marketing films which were printed in usa on thicker polyester film stock also going red.

The fourparters "El Cid", "Fall of the Roman Empire", "55 Days at Peking", "Circus World" were printed 1978 on Fuji filmstock at Buck Labs and they are all very red. I think there exists no of these fourpartes anymore with good colors. But perhaps they are printed on the mars?

I also have films on Kodak acetat filmstock. The color looks still fresh. Also german dubbed Ken Films printed definitely at maritz lab USA with very good colors.

The main problem I think is processing, storage AND color timing during the copying process. I also have prints with colors changing between red tint and very good!!

Andreas

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2004 08:30 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andreas

I agree with you on your thoughts on films going pink I think the way films are stored is a major contributing factor to them going pink or fading.

I have films from Ken, Disney, Univeral 8 & Marketing that were released well before 1982 but whose colours have still have remained true. Yet, I have come across prints from other collectors were the prints have turned.

It is likely that they all printed on the one film stock and processed around the same time so why have some turned and others remained the same.

A more plausible cause for colour change is changes in temperature or use of air conditioning which is more
prevalent in USA than in Europe.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 01, 2004 09:50 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a favourite subjects and i am interested
In seeing everyone’s views on it. When I mentioned
It in the FFTC mag over a year ago I didn’t get one
Response!
As I understand it from Paul Foster the 3 x 400 marketing
Films generally seem to hold colour very well whereas the full
Features are suffering badly It appears that the full features were printed
By a different company and on different stock, is this correct? Does Anyone have any 3 x 400 marketing films on the turn? On the subject Of editing, those Columbia 400fts! Blimy, there were times I could have Asked the editor to resign, and the narrator, laughable at times. I think it’s many of the poorly edited 400 footers from the likes of Columbia / ken that gave bootlegs cinema a bad name and the demand for Full length feature, Mountain films supplying some of the very worst, even When the editor was given 4 x 400 ft to play with they still got it so wrong. Its ironic that they began to pull their socks up as the VHS video Was becoming a threat. Oh BTW any films kept in lofts or humid heat in centrally heated,(this has a lot to answer for) bedroom cupboards ets will almost certainly turn.COOL or cold is the word,and dry.
Ps. Don’t forget to keep up the replies referring to the FFTC mag, I shall use some Of the comments and ideas to put a case forward to Derann and most impotantly,
To us the collectors, lets turn up the heat on everyone!

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2004 01:32 PM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom,

I have Ken Films which were printed by martiz lab or at "Bergen".
The films were Bergen is written on it are on polyester filmstock
and the colours are true.

Marketing Film sold in germany only the german dubbed threeparters. They didn´t offered the german collectors full length, 400ft and 200 ft versions. On the other side they offered films which were not available worldwide.

The 400 ft version of "Prophecy" was printed in Germany at Atlantik Kopierwerk, Hamburg. The 200ft version of "Saturday Night Fever" was printed in USA on thicker polyester filmstock, I got it from Derann. As I looked at the end of this 200ft reel I found a picture with the german title "Nur Samstag Nacht". So it seems that marketing films were edited in Germany and the negative was shipped to the US-lab.

From other german collectors I have heared that the first feature films were printed in US-Labs. The last full feature releases were printed at the german lab. Another print of marketing film international I know was the 400 footer of "Saturday Night Fever". This print was made in Munich on fuji filmstock.

The last marketing film releases were printed on thicker AGFA prestriped polyester filmstock (The Final Countdown) or Kodak acetat stock. I think the stock of thin Kodak polyester was running low in 1982.

In 1994 marketing film germany was closed and it was sad for me to hear years later that much 8mm prints were thrown away, because they loose the contact to interested collectors. One or two collectors who heared that marketing film is closing found on the street in a garbage container some prints. It is supposed that there were also prints between which never comes on the market. "Love Story", "Charlie Brown"....
The brand "marketing film" was sold to an other video label.

Ken Films (or Warner/Columbia) worked also together with UFA, Germany. For exampel "Rebell without a Cause" is printed in USA, but I wonder, the starting film leader is German Industrial Standard at german tv-stations.

Andreas

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 01, 2004 01:49 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andreus, thats really interesting, i think Marketin films had some superb titles, some of the best on the 8mm market. It was sad when they finished,its so hard to understand why films were thrown into the bins, in this country thats where a lot of 16mm films end up. When Marketing came onto the scene i remember the first batch of title like Saturday night fever, chinatown, godfather,to name just a few were so well recieved and so many versions in the uk, 200ft,400ft,3 x 400 and a full length. It was a market that collecters could purchase according to what they could afford, the choice was there. Do you know who produces 8mm titles in Germany today? we do see the odd feature in the lists come out in the uk and i know they are from German origin.

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2004 02:05 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, you are so right about the Ken/Columbia "narrators" (even though I found the Columbia narrator to be more much intrusive and laughable -- e.g., "Suddenly, the giant chicken attacks!")

I found it interesting while perusing some Movie Maker mags from the late 1970s -- in the column devoted to the reviews of new releases, one would be hard pressed to find one negative review about the content/editing of any of the Ken 400 footers! Must have been the excitement of the wealth of 400 foot (or should I say 320 foot) digests made us far less discerning in the late 70s (myself included).

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2004 03:42 PM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom,

You wrote: "Do you know who produces 8mm titles in Germany today? we do see the odd feature in the lists come out in the uk and i know they are from German origin."

Sorry Tom, I do not collect full features. I saw only titles on a list from a retailer in the netherlands.

You wrote:
I think it’s many of the poorly edited 400 footers from the likes of Columbia / ken that gave .......(8mm?) cinema a bad name.

Tom, I think also the picture quality as a result of using low contrast television prints for cut down.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 01, 2004 04:01 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It a good point John made when he said 320ft. Why were they never a full 400? That Xtra could make all the difference to poor cutdown, even giving that annoying narrator a break. Oddley enough Columbia did do some full 400s, remember the Jumbo (320ft) and the Jumbo giants,(full 400ft)and only £2.00 more!
Imagine if columbia did the 3 x 400 mini feature. This is were Ivor films picked up, another good old company with some good realeases. Does anyone know why different countries had different versions instead of them being availible for all, ie, as andreus said, some features availible in GB and for a few dollers more only for Germany etc.

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2004 05:00 PM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,
it was a copyright problem.

"Few Dollars more" and "A Fistful of Dollars" were european production and one germany production company was involved. In 1973 when marketing films was founded, it was easier for them to get rights from german distributors. The most releases they made till the end of the 70s were tiles which were distributed in german theatres by small independent distributors. They only have the rights for germany. So marketing coult only bought the german 8mm rights. Marketing Films had have also international experience and sucess with their hard core lables (Love Film and other) since 1973. So - I think - they earned enough money to get rights from paramount and it was easy for them to enter the international market with respectable films. -- funny to find erred "Love Film seals" on blue marketing boxes --
"King Kong" 1976 was distributed in the US by Paramount, in Germany by Tobis. Marketing have had a lot of Tobis films in their catalogue. "Death on the Nile" was distributed by Paramount (USA) and Constantin (Germany). Constantin worked together with Piccolo Films, so the two parter was released in germany by Piccolo Film and the full length feature in the USA by marketing film international.

The distributor of "A fistful of dollars" in USA was United Artists. Wasn´t Ken Films who released United Artists films on 8mm?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC