8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » best sync source (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: best sync source
John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2004 09:58 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
James,

Don't change the voltage on the VCR. It'll keep going at the same speed until it self-destructs or just shuts down. VCRs are doing a lot of complicated things like reading the control track and have crystals inside them to run the tape and get it correct to the color burst crystal and color decoding, etc etc. You'd have to do complicated external synch for color burst and frame rate. (Professional machines do this to lock to tv station synch so the picture doesn't roll when it's called up in master control).

You're best bet would be a synchronizer box that would take the tape recorder video output and use it to control the speed of the projector and lock it to the video speed. In essence if the projector had a synch motor you'd want to drive it off of 59.97 instead of 60 hz so it doesn't wander.

A simple way is to use a projector that allows you to fine tune the speed during recording. Remember a lot of things can change projector speed such as worn belts, lubrication, load of film on the take up reel if the clutch is worn/bad, etc etc.

John

|  IP: Logged

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2004 11:38 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks john for your info befroe trying this out [Cool]

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 28, 2004 09:45 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A different method: I've used a Goko 8008 motorized recorder/editor to re-record the soundtrack to a number of my films. I first did a test, recording a song from a DVD on the GS-1200, the Bauer 510 and the Goko. I played the test back on all three and the Goko recording was clearly superior (followed by the Bauer), having a much fuller sound. When re-recording I set up the Goko a few feet in front of the TV so I can see both screens easily. This is from a suggestion by Brad Miller, because it's easier to see the shot changes matching up than to see if the lip movments match. There is a speed adjustment on the 8008 so it's fairly easy to sync up. I normally get a 15-20 minute run of perfect sync till I have to stop and readjust.
Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2004 06:41 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for that bit of info now if i can find one of those Goko 8008

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC