8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Why a GS1200 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Why a GS1200
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 05, 2004 07:16 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Only !!!!!!!!!!

Mind you the temperamental bit is right.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 06, 2004 02:35 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whos going to leave me one in their will? [Wink]

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 06, 2004 05:17 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
What a load of crap. It all sounds like a load of Jealousy to me.
The GS once serviced goes on for years. People run these machines and some never even clean them! and expect them to go on running. Yes if the manufacturers of films got the sound right then the GS1200's etc wouldnt have bad sound to show up in the first place. How about doing your own recording on a good Elmo and then see how it performs or maybe you guys just like the crap sound off your "Boots" specials or "Gioca Royals"

"If you don't believe me phone a dealer for a quote on selling a Elmo GS 1200 I would be surprised if you get more than £500.00
and you will have to pay shipping out of it."

Yes and then the dealers sell them for £1200 because they know a good thing or two when they see it.

No Mark I was joking about selling my ST1200 HD its superb and I'm hanging onto it. But yes I may be selling 3rd GS which works superbly and will probably go on working well for many years to come.

For goodness sake you guys if you want a crap image with sound to go with it then carry on buying cheap machines off ebay. Oh and BTW if you want a good quality scope image then dont forget to buy a cheap 16mm scope lens complete with bloom and bracket to fit your 50watt "Gioca's"

Kev. [Big Grin]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 06, 2004 09:28 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Were as bad as car enthusiasts here! [Smile]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 06, 2004 12:19 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The GS1200 is, without question, the finest projector I have ever owned, if there's a better one out there I have not seen it. At the same time I think it is probably true that the GS, like a highly tuned sports car, expects plenty of attention, and is unforgiving of lack of regular maintainance. This is because it is a very complex projector, with all electronic controls, operating through micro-switches relays and solenoids. So it is essential to keep the internal mechanism of the machine spotlessly clean and correctly lubricated to avoid trouble. Routine internal maintance for me (about every 6 months)includes cleaning and lubrication of the claw mechanism, cleaning the solenoids, lubrication of the auto thread release mechanism, spraying the switch contacts with an electrical contact cleaner, and wiping the drive belt with alcohol to remove grease. On the film side, I clean the gate , rollers, sprockets, film channel, and sound head before every film session. I also clean the sound head capstan and roller with alcohol. I think it is also very important to keep your films clean and lubricated to help reduce dust contamination in the gate, and wear on the sound head. I have no complaints at all about having to do all this, to me it's part of the fun of film collecting, and I know that by doing so it will greatly extend the life of my projector and films.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2004 02:35 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, I didn't realize these GS1200's were unreliable.

I didn't know they were so worthless.

But I love the comparison with Concorde, the greatest plane ever to take to the air and very reliable in British livery despite being the pinnacle of everyday man's achievement.

Now why is it that I run Super 8 film just about every day and I have so few breakdowns.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2004 12:49 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! Bloody Hell!! I'm going to say: "Lets hear it for the ST1200HD"
No frills no bullshit,it shows bloody good pictures and so what,it 'aint stereo!!!!!!

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2004 01:16 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry,

Yep, I love my ST1200HD and will never part with it (Unless some mad bloke on ebay was to pay me £900).

But then I like all of my projector family too

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2004 01:27 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love all mine too Tony but my problem is which do I use and at the same time trying not to show any form of favouriteism!!

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2004 01:39 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in NZ,I got the equivalent of 150 pounds for my minty GS1200 and straight traded my second one for a GS800(worth around 100 pounds). The most convenient projector I've owned was a Bauer T610.Great sound,sharp as a tack picture and quiet as a mouse running.A real "lounge" projector.Easy to set up and put away. If I had a proper theatre I'd opt for big GS's though. I use ST1200s ever now and then but they are noisy machines.Great to have options eh?

--------------------
Trevor

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2004 03:29 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So many words so little time.

The main points of the discussion are this.

The last Elmo GS1200 projector was built NEW over 20 years ago. It is based on technology that is over 30 years old.

Like all super 8 projectors it was built for film makers not film collectors. Nobody in Elmo, Sankyo, Bell & Howell or anywhere else ever thought anybody would project the
amount of film we project through their projectors.

That's why the plastic parts and everything else wear out.

The Elmo GS may have a bigger light, better sound, bigger reel capacity more hernia power but in most circumstances most collectors can live without it.

There are proberably Elmo GS Projectors out there that are immaculate. God bless the owners who ever they are but the odds of some poor punter actually buying a machine like that is NIL.

He will be offered some machine that is faulty, scratches films or the motor, sound head or something else is about to pack in.

If I could buy a new machine of the quality of a Elmo I would.

I will not pay £1200.00 for a 20 year old second hand machine and don't anybody refer me to that Frankenstein abortion that was served up as a new machine.

It looked like road kill gone wrong!!

By the way Trev the Bauer 610 is a lovely machine.

Concorde good technology for it day but had to be done away with as the cost of keeping it going proved to costly.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2004 04:54 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even Concorde crashed!

--------------------
Tony

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2004 05:18 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to mention that but it was below the belt.

The Phantom Piddler Rides Again

[ March 09, 2004, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Mike Newell ]

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2004 05:19 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The last Elmo GS1200 projector was built NEW over 20 years ago. It is based on technology that is over 30 years old.

This "old" technologies is able to dialogue with a CD or DVD player!
quote:
If I could buy a new machine of the quality of a Elmo I would.
No, probably you would not buy an hypothetical new Elmo GS1200.
You would have to pay than over 12.000 sterling pounds!
quote:
He will be offered some machine that is faulty, scratches films or the motor, sound head or something else is about to pack in.

The GS1200 needs some little works to avoid scratches also when it's totally new

quote:
I will not pay £1200.00 for a 20 year old second hand machine and don't anybody refer me to that Frankenstein abortion that was served up as a new machine.

Are you talking about someone?

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2004 05:26 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://valueservices.org/classichomecinema/pages/equipment.shtml

As designed by Stevie Wonder / Skoda sorry Lada

Brand new Super 8 projector

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 08, 2004 05:28 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whos a naughty boy then !!!!!

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2004 05:32 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see all the other questions Ugo

I give up. It's like inviting Jehovah Witnesses
in for tea.

Hi Mark That's a 50 pence you owe me when then thread gets to 50 posts.

Thats you in the poo too.

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2004 05:37 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the replay.. tomorrow morning! Now it's late.
anyway: "As designed by Stevie Wonder"
It's too much for me..... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....
good night folks

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 08, 2004 05:40 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steady down a bit Mike I can`t keep up with you, Puff , wheeze, gasp.
I just had a knock at the door and there was a Busty Blond stood there saying she had got seperated from the lusty nympho`s bus trip night out and could I put her up for the night.
well I looked at her stood there in her low cut dress and just had to say " Sorry Love but I`m busy trying to catch up with Mikes posts on the Forum", "try next door."

See the sacrifices I have to make to help keep this forum active and ongoing.
best Mark.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2004 05:44 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Send her round!!!

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 08, 2004 05:57 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Send her round.
I live on the Nortn East coast near whitby, England, you live in that place smewhere over the sea`s.
It could be a while but i`ll see if shes still about.

Back to the world of dreams.

Saying that I did once get a female late night visitor at my door in 86. I was young free and sort of single.
But she was a bitch. I put here up for the night but chucked her out in the morning as she pee`d in my hallway.

Last time I put a stay dog up for the night.
Best Mark.
True story by the way.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 08, 2004 07:13 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark & Mike,

I once took in a stray Jehovah's Witness who peed in the hallway...........

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 08, 2004 08:19 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit that I hate the look of the Fumeo Revised projector....it really does look like a biscuit tin! [Frown]

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2004 02:53 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Fumeo prototype is probably the most robust Super 8 projector I've ever used. Now that was one that was built to last.

Would have been a wonderful performer if ever made it into production.

The Chinon SS-1200 is a good machine and I always prevented scratching by coating the plastic parts with lashings of waxy Thermofilm. No damage other than the odd scratch ever occurred and I wore my machine into the ground over a period of about 8 years from new.

Incidentally guys, the French Concorde crashed because a spacer was left off the wheels meaning that when the tyres burst there was no direction, therefore not enough speed. Spare parts only became too expensive because Airbus stuck the prices up. Can't blame the French for wanting to kill it though, unlike British Airways they couldn't make it pay.

In the October BFCC you should find a programme dedicated to this wonderful aircraft. It will be one year exactly after the last Concorde flight.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2004 01:07 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the begining it was the Elmo and in the End it all finished with Jehovah Witnesses and Dogs peeing in various houses throughout the world, waxy Chinons,obsolete planes, hernia driven collectors and an advert for BFCC.

I didn't even mention Betty. Can the Elmo make her look beautiful and make her voice sound like a Angel?

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC