8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Cinema in Miniature (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cinema in Miniature
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 06, 2004 09:52 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a used print of "Cinema in Miniature" from Derann, It's a neat little 200 footer from Perry's that shows home cinema from it's beginnings in 9.5mm, and then goes on to show the manufacturing processes at Perry's and Derann (Including Derek Simmonds himself setting up the striping machine.)Along the way they discuss 'scope and 3D films as well.

The film ends showing the goings on at the Northern Film Convention. (I'd guess in the 1980s)

Is there anyone on this board who thinks that they may be in this film?

(A Super-8 film about Super-8 films....I just couldn't pass it up!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2004 05:34 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was 1986 or 1987.

I am the good looking one!!

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 08, 2004 05:50 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I`m the one whos not there at the back of the shot behind Mike as I only found out about cine in 88 at the tender age of 22.
Also found out the great fun that is being ripped off in cine about then, you have to laugh don`t you.
best Mark.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2004 01:38 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was only 23 then. I had loads of money too then I discovered
super 8

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 09, 2004 02:03 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was only 25, had already discovered Super-8, still had loads of money, and then discovered my wife!

--------------------

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2004 02:43 PM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, do we gather that your wife doesn't use the internet?

--------------------
Tim

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 09, 2004 03:19 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She's not very big on the various Super-8 discussion boards, and her use of the computer is mostly e-mail and playing solitaire (how the modern age obsoleted a 50 cent deck of cards and replaced it with a thousand dollar machine!)

Besides, she knows she's expensive to keep around, and at the critical moment when I need funding for some film thing or other this works in my favor!

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2004 05:35 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife types all my replies for me!! Some hope

Ian O Reilly I think is featured in that film as well.

He the old man with the beard resembles Yoda from Star Wars.

No, he young and fresh faced really. A Brad Pitt look a like
on a dark night

Is he still on holiday on have the phone company cut him off?

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 09, 2004 07:14 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No he`s back but he`s really busy in his mysterious workshop.
Sounds like he`s really got a lot on with the non cine work at the moment.
best Mark.
I must confess to the odd cine fib where my good lady is concerned.
Well I`m ecconomical with the odd decimal point. But she`s on to me as I apparently start to hum when up to cine no good and will actually hum the tune from films I`ve got on the way or fancy as well!!!!!!.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2004 03:45 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he making projectors. There was five minute spot on Blue Peter.

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2004 02:05 PM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife, who is weight conscious, accused me of filming in scope to get her in the frame.

I replied that if that was the case, I go for Cinerama.

Back to the doghouse.

--------------------
Tim

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 12, 2004 03:06 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes!

In marital circles the subject of the wife's weight is the equivalent of a red push button with a locking cover over it!

It doesn't even matter whether she's fat or not!

I find if I'm in the room when the question "Does this make me look fat?" comes up the only thing I can do is spill my coffee on myself as a pretext to run for the hills!

A few minutes of searing pain is a much better choice over the long haul than hazarding an answer to that one!

Even "No" can get you in hot water if you put the wrong inflection on it!

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 12, 2004 03:17 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I can concur with that one, Statements like " you look nice in that" or "you look slim in that", can be taken as why don`t I at other times suggestion etc.
You have to watch it, there`s also the double standards thing we chaps all have to live with.
Best to put up and shut up on that one.
Best Mark.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2004 04:33 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife was looking in the mirror yesterday and moaned that her boobs had reached her belly button, her waist was just above her knees,her bottom was dimpled and sumo wrestler sized. She asked me to say something positive about her so I said her eyesight was fine.
Cinema In Miniature was an amateur film made by Lee Mannering but thankfully Perry's released it so we could all experience 9 minutes of bliss.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2004 04:38 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info on the other thread Mal.

Yes Lee produced a couple of movies.

One was the opening of a Warner Brother multiplex
when Batman was released. I think it was called A Cinema
of our Time

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 12, 2004 10:12 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In this month's Derann newsletter, "Cinema in Miniature" is offered along with two other cinema related films in a video edition for 14.99 GBP under the title "This is Cinema".

(We should be nice to our wives, they put up with all this!)

--------------------

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2004 01:12 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are I suppose two follow on questions

1. Who has dumped their partner because of Cine?

2. If you had to choose, would it be Cine or partner?

3. Are there any speed dating clubs for cine people so you can pick up another (better) partner?

Oh, that was 3 wasn't it....maths never been good.

p.s. picked up a Xenon GS from the paper in the original sealed box for £25 from an old chap- feel real bad now, should I go back and give him some more cash?

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2004 02:26 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dream on Tony, Dream on.

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Ian O'Reilly
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2004 04:11 PM      Profile for Ian O'Reilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks
Yes I'm back off my Holidays, and what a good time was had by all.
I am just about to post the March List.
Yes that is me in Lee's film I'm the hansom chap running the film Processor, I think the film was made in the early nineties, and all shot on super 8 Kodachrome 40,with a Sankyo camera if my memory serves me right.
And just for the record Perry's was the only distributor in the UK to have there own in house film lab, now I hear you say that's not true Derann did have as well, No they could only stripe (sometimes not very well) and record, Buck Labs & Rank used to do there processing.
Golden Days I could write a book on the nights out we had with Derek and Mike Dimmock when they came down to London.
Better stop now otherwise I will never post that list !!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 15, 2004 04:42 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ian,
I have a gripe about your film lists. Namely, that you do not grade the prints A,B, or C, like Derann does. Because of this, I find myself reluctant to buy any films from you, because it is basically a crap shoot. Buying from Derann, I always know what to expect, because I have found over the years that Gary is very fair and objective about the grades he applies to the film lists, and he will always make comments if there is something notable about the film, such as "Stunning print" or "Scratch on the first 50 ft" , " slight color fade" etc. I wish you would do this, as there are many interesting titles on your film list.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2004 04:43 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to see you back Ian. You are still a stunner!! [Smile]

Tim Christian
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2004 01:51 AM      Profile for Tim Christian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul wrote:
quote:
Hi Ian,
I have a gripe about your film lists. Namely, that you do not grade the prints A,B, or C, like Derann does. Because of this, I find myself reluctant to buy any films from you, because it is basically a crap shoot.

All the films I've had from Ian were Grade A anyway. No brown envelopes involved!

--------------------
Tim

Ian O'Reilly
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2004 02:46 AM      Profile for Ian O'Reilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul
In answer to your gripe, "Crap Shoot" we call it a Lottery over here, the reason we do not grade our prints is because it is not cost effective.
In the past, Derann had somebody sitting down watching films all day for grading purposes, I don't know if they still do this but if you sit-down and watch say a 600ft that will take you 30 minutes of real time which equates to something like £7-50 in my time, so that cost would have to be added to price of the film, that's how we can sell L & H's for £18 while our competitors sell the same product for £25.
We get less than 2% of our films sold returned for inferior quailty, and when purchasing second hand film from customers you get to know who you can trust when they say the films are OK and those you have to check.
I will always check any film a customer is intrested in purchasing and give them a honest opinon within a couple of hours.
If a film is found to be faulty I never quibble I will always refund monies or replace with an alternative whichever they request.
I hope this explains your dilemma.
Best Wishes
Ian

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2004 01:39 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Gang

Have to say I've bought several films from Ian and they've always been cracking good, no complaints. Also knowing that Ian is such a gentleman where his business is concerned I'm confident that any probs would be put right with out a quibble.

However, I do wish you would answer your emails Uncle Ian [Roll Eyes] .

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2004 02:16 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Now then what can I tell you about "Honest Ian". The bloke's a diamond and I would guarantee him (If only I had any money left- spent it on his crap films). The bloke is a saint and nearly walks on water (when the dog has an accident or his own catheter leaks!)

Seriously I have been spending me hard earned pennies with him for 2 yrs and only once did I have a film problem. That was immediately sorted without quibble and we still laugh about it.

One of the few I would really trust!

Tony Perry (Ian's Brother)

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC