8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo GS1200 Halogen to HTI Conversion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo GS1200 Halogen to HTI Conversion
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 13, 2004 05:51 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from Ugo, has anyone else tried this conversion? With the HTI bulb being roughly 2x bright as the Xenon version of this fab machine, it would turn a great machine into an AWESOME machine!
Or if someone has instructions I'll try it on mine! [Smile]
Suggestions? Bueler? Anyone?

|  IP: Logged

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2004 11:04 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan

I have everything to make the change. No instructions, shoot from the hip. In my case I would be modifying my Xenon. I want to do it in a way that I can fully restor the xenon version to factory spec.
I have tried the HTI in my Fumeo and I must say it is intensly bright. Far brighter than the Xenon. I gives off a lot of heat as well so you will need to add a fan. I think the Xenon GS will be better to handle this heat with its additional metal parts.

A lot of people mention the Xenon GS can be used for large screen sizes, with the HTI bulb you will truely be able to light up a big screen.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 13, 2004 11:08 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan,
I remember contacting Bavaria about the conversion from the Xenon to the HTI. They said that even when they did do the conversion (they do not any longer) they wouldn't do the Xenon version because it was very difficult. But they did do one or two of the regular GS models.
How much were all the necessary parts, and where did you get them from?

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2004 11:32 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not have the installation or conversion kit. I just have the bulb and power supply. I make my own brackets for the bulb depending on the projector its going in.
The power supply is external.
The difference with the Xenon verses non xenon is the cage for the Xenon bulb is in the way.

The HTI bulb is more like the Hologen bulb in size and shape.

I would have done the conversion a long time ago if I had a perminent room for viewing my movies, I will this summer.
Because the PS is external I do not want to have to deal with dragging all these heavy multible parts out of the closet everytime I want to watch a movie.

Putting this bulb in my Fumeo was very easy but the heat was very bad. I would have to add a fan to keep it cool. If your not careful and the conversion done incorrect you would burn a hole in your print very fast.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 16, 2004 04:52 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys, Ugo has some very interesring info about this conevrsion he did. He asked me to give him the Lux figures for my newly aquired GS Xenon and with the image set at 1 metre wide I got about 950 Lux. with the Schneider f1.1 lens. [Smile] While I'm on this point the schneider f1.1 gives me 90 Lux more than the Elmo f1.1. Anyway Ugo said the the figure I got was really very good for the factory fitted version. Ugo's machine is at 1000 Lux and I believe he can get 1500 Lux out of it with a 2 blade shutter etc. He put his 3 blade shutter back in his machine because the high energy form the lamp on the small 8mm frame was causing damage. So it probably looks like Elmo did their Homework and kept the light output to just below that 1000 lux point to protect the film running through the machine.
Ugo excuse the punn, but maybe you could shed some more light on your findings please. [Wink]
One last point to note on the Elmo xenon machine is that the fan runs at high speed all the time even when the machine is at standstill and also it is supplied with a higher voltage compared to the std halogen version of this machine. They really blast air over the xenon lamp to keep it and the holder etc cool which it is. Even after a 1200ft reel the lamp holder assay can still be touched without it burning you.

Kev

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 16, 2004 06:28 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I had the Xenon I remember when I turned it on....I thought the machine was going to take off!
Even though i loved the light output of it.. I think I am ready for a standard GS. When I get a home with a proper setup..then I can get another Xenon machine. In another room or in a booth the sound would be ok but in the same room..it was just killing me!
Hey Kev, did you get the modified piece for the non scratch film threader from Wittner? They have one which I want but if I can do it on my own....that would be best! And cheaper too BTW.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 17, 2004 05:46 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan,
No I do it myself. At the start I just reshape the input guide and then when it gets bad it can be cut away like the Wittners one. There is plenty of thicknes to reshape the guide a couple of times.

Kevin.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC