8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New features on the way (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New features on the way
Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2004 07:50 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heinz

I just got my excerpt of "The Fifth Element" and the sound disappears in one part and returns very garbled for a while and finally returns to normal. I know others have posted having great luck with the sound on this title.
I dont care in this case because its just a short and I am mesmerized by the image. It took me a long time to get this. Im still waiting for "The Gladiator"
Im afraid if I send it back it will take months and I could get something worse or something wrong with the image this time around.

I have had a few German features in the past where the strip came right off. My dealer eventually replaced the print but it took a long time.
They have the picture quality nailed for perfection though. They are looking very very good. I think the small % of bad striping issues are inherent with the technology.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2004 07:58 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Heinz,
I think Derann have stopped doing there own striping and have it done outside?

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Mark Girard
Junior

- posted March 18, 2004 10:53 PM      Profile for Mark Girard   Email Mark Girard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks John for the info about Classic. Of all the UK cinema websites Classic always felt like pulling teeth to figure out what they were selling. Still to have Spider-man would be great. Yes it's amazing how the fact that a poor U.S. dollar is probably going to result in a price that is a couple of hundred dollars more than what the same U.K. price of 4 or 5 years ago would have cost. I'll probably have to suck it up and order it though. Again This is going to have to be an end of the year purchase since it looks to be somewhere between $700-$800. It is a tough decision. I guess that would make Gladiator or Lord of the Rings easily over $1000. If I ever hit the four figure mark for a film print I will probably institutionalize myself. Is that not insane?

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2004 03:21 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dollar is bound to recover and get back to around $1.40. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just electioneering causing the present low value. And Britain can't afford to have this exchange rate as the USA is our biggest market for exports so it's causing a multi-billion pound deficit in our economy at the moment. So just hold on for a while and you should do alright.

Ged does all the striping at Derann. It is just the sound masters prepared outside and they are done to a very high standard now. The stripe is better now than it has been for years. I haven't had a problem for ages but given the procedure involved in applying the paste there are bound to be a few glitches. I find it amazing they can actually get this stuff to stick to the polyester film.

Anyone heard anything more about this purported feature release of Gladiator. Neither Keith Wilton nor myself have. It looks like it could be a mix-up over the extract Derann put out. And it shouldn't be too long until the next extract!!! (Please, please, please!!!)

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mark Girard
Junior

- posted March 19, 2004 08:54 AM      Profile for Mark Girard   Email Mark Girard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The dollar is bound to recover and get back to around $1.40. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just electioneering causing the present low value. And Britain can't afford to have this exchange rate as the USA is our biggest market for exports so it's causing a multi-billion pound deficit in our economy at the moment. So just hold on for a while and you should do alright.

I hope you are right about that. I remember it always being around $1.50 and it was easy to look at the films and say oh £30 that's $45. Now I look at £30 and think $60 (and really more when I consider shipping to the U.S.). The rate needs to start falling now so even if I had to pay $1.60 per GBP I'd still be saving a hundred dollars from what I'd be paying now.

Anyone buy a copy of Spider-man on Super 8? Just wondering if people are happy with the print. Since classic is the distributer does this mean that the prints have English credits or are they German still? I also assume since the soundtracks are in English too since there was no mention of them being in some other language.

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2004 09:29 AM      Profile for Heinz-Juergen Schachner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

SPIDERMAN is a German print and thus it has German credits. The prints sold in the UK are imported from Germany.

To Chris:
As far as I know Derann still does the striping by themselves. At least that is what Gary has told me.

Best Wishes

Heinz-Juergen Schachner

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2004 10:06 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the dollar is likely to get much stronger against the pound any time in the near future.. With interest rates so low in the US, and massive deficits, it's unlikely that the dollar with strengthen.....

BTW - the pound/dollar ratio has varied in my memory anywhere between about $1.25 and $2.00 but historically, I think the range has been much wider than that...

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2004 11:27 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once new features went past £250.00 mark. Insanity reigned

Stripe coming off in your hand after a couple of showing or using the right cleaner was just an added bonus to the madness.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2004 11:41 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if Barclays Capital are to be believed (see their web site www.barcap.com) the $ will depreciate further and perhaps peak above £=$2. Who knows (George Soros I guess). With interest rates at higher levels in Europe than the US it is hard to see why the currency is attractive. The US balance of payments position is concerning so my bet is that clever money will seek a safe haven in the Swiss Franc fueled by an Al Ki E Da attack on London. If this happens I intend to battle through the flames to rescue John Clancy's Xenon [Big Grin]

Have you chaps tried the Reel Image in the US? They might have old spidy stock at better prices? I have seen some of the film at Clancy's and it is STUNNING. I projected the DVD (washing my mouth out as you read and thrashing myself with a stick but that's another story) and it was not a patch on the film

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2004 12:38 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2004 12:07 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of your more interesting posts Mr N!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2004 06:27 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tony

I get enough of this at work this is play time!!! [Confused]

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2004 03:14 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll find the forthcoming review of the Spider-Man feature here...

http://www.bfcc.biz/spiderman2.html

And I can confirm Tony certainly does have a "lovely bunch of coconuts".

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2004 01:25 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

Many thanks.

Mike,

Lucky you, I just got all that BS from reading the internet, haven't a clue what it all means. If only they expressed it in terms of frames per second!!!! [Eek!]

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC