8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS1200 Halogen original bulb

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS1200 Halogen original bulb
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 15, 2004 09:11 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know where I can get the original bulb for the GS1200 Halogen here in the US?
I know that Derann has them but the British pound is killing the dollar. In the US the bulb comes out to about $50!
Any ideas anybody? Bueler?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 15, 2004 09:45 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bad news is I've been routinely been quoted $50 for much more run of the mill bulbs when I ask the wrong people, so $50 for a 200W ESC isn't really so horrific sounding to me.

This guy says he has 20+ in stock:

http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/esc_ansi.html

At $116 each in single unit quantities, $84 for the two pack (That's $42 each. Why would you ever buy just one at that rate?) and on down to a 20 pack for $504 (That's $25.20 a pop)

My favorite place to buy this kind of stuff is Chambless Cine Equipment in Atlanta. They show ESC as being delisted, but if they do have stock their price is $19.99.

http://www.chamblesscineequip.com/catalog/catalog.htm

It is certainly worth dropping them an E-mail to ask.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted March 15, 2004 11:48 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

[ April 30, 2004, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: Dan Lail ]

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2004 05:20 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice post Dan.

Anyone know exactly which manufacturers ESC these two dealers are selling as the web sites to not state this. If they're WIKO's or Radiac's I'll be clearing out their inventories!!!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2004 06:58 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the ESC problem is a false problem! I have some ESC from a last GE (General Electric) stock, and a lot of GE EJL. I know this last one is for the 16mm (theorically), but the exposimeter says the EJL works better: 20/25 lux more than the ESC.
ahhh the light... this misterious thing...

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Ronnie Coeuhant
Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2004 09:27 AM      Profile for Ronnie Coeuhant   Email Ronnie Coeuhant   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugo, do you have the lux readings of ESC from Eiki? How do you compare the lux and light distribution with the ESC from GE?

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2004 11:25 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rik --

I think I may have some ESC lamps -- Email me directly and remind me and I'll see if I can find any...

BTW - you should be able to use EJL or ELC without any trouble...

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2004 01:02 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ronnie,
no, I have the lux reading of the ESC GE only. About the light distribution on the screen I get the measures of five points on the screen (center and corners). The light distribution is better with the EJL.

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 17, 2004 05:54 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I can confirm Ugo's findings. The GE EJL is slightly brighter and more uniform than the GE ESC Why I dont know but I double checked my findings and they were correct. It's good to see now that Ugo got the same result. I have an original Elmo ESC which stands out in front for apparent brightness and measured brightness. Note that the Elmo spec for the lamp is 25hrs but the GE lamps are 50 hrs. That makes me think that the Elmo lamps were overrun versions. While we are on this subject I would once again like to say that the ELC 250W lamp gave the worst measured light output of all the lamps but then thats not surprising as it drops the 24V lamp voltage down to about 23 V beacuse of the extra current it draws. (Possible damage to transformer) [Frown]
Buy EJL's guys well at least GE ones. [Smile]

Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Ronnie Coeuhant
Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2004 09:50 AM      Profile for Ronnie Coeuhant   Email Ronnie Coeuhant   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

How much more brightness can you get from the original Elmo ESC (Eiki?) over the GE EJL? Do you have the lux figures?

Thanks.

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2004 08:40 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dug through some boxes and found
3 x ELMO ESC lamps. These are "new" in their original box, but they are very very old, and there does appear to be some flaking in the reflectors. I also found 1 x GE EFP 100W lamp - which I believe is used in the GS-800, and some of the others.

I'll take $40 + shipping for all 4 lamps - "as-is" (no guarentee that they will work). If you want "return privileges" if the lamps don't work, then I'd want $25/each for the ESCs.

email me at: sts@sigel.net

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2004 03:32 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A genuine ESC gives an immediate noticeable brighter light than an EJL. I would suggest the GE's are not genuine ESC's.

An ESC has a smaller filament than an EJL to maximise the light going through the tiny Super 8 gate.

The Elmo ESC is the undoubted king of the Super 8 lamp market. However, there are some very good cloned namely, Radiac and Wiko which give just slightly less light.

I concur completely with Kevin regarding the 250w lamp and would recommend no one ever use them in a GS-1200. It's just not worth the risk of blowing the transformer. And they give out less light than anything else.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2004 04:10 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"An ESC has a smaller filament than an EJL to maximise the light going through the tiny Super 8 gate"

Hi John,
this is a common opinion but is wrong for the dicroic lamps (with a mirror-parabola). The difference between the ELC, ESC and EJL isn't the filament, but the focus of the "mirror-parabola". If you check the technical informations about this lamps you'll see for every lamp the focus point is at 31 or 32 or 41 mm from the lamp (I don't remenber the right values). When you change the distance, the dimension of light circol changes.
Bye

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2004 11:54 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The great thing about this hobby is that it is like collecting a fine wine. You just can get sooo excited about lamps...I can imagine the scene.....so darling shall we have an hour of the ESC tonight? Oh Rodney darling let's do. Patricia, it is your birthday after all but we are now down to the last one.....

Bliss

Tony

--------------------
Tony

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2004 03:22 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting Ugo. The size of the filament certainly has an effect and can identify a genuine ESC against an EJL.

I just tried a GE ESC over the weekend and it gave out more light than an EJL I have. The picture was not as bright on one side though - something the ESC mirror is supposed to nullify???

I measured the light output with a light meter despite being able to see the difference visibly. The GE is one of the poorer ESC's but this one still put our a brighter, whiter light than the only EJL I have. It was also slightly brighter than another manufacturer's ESC.

[ March 23, 2004, 02:24 AM: Message edited by: John Clancy ]

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 28, 2004 05:14 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugo, The ELC lamp drops the voltage in the GS due to the increase in current so it gives less light output. Increase in current puts more strain on the transformer. Dont use it guys!!! [Frown]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 29, 2004 11:32 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I agree with you Kev.
NEVER I used the ELC on my Elmo.

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 30, 2004 04:34 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad we agree on that point.
I saw a horrible so called conversion for the 250 W ELC on Tony Millmans GS when he bought it.
The person or company who converted it wrapped a further turn of wire round the transformer to increase the voltage to the lamp.
They obviously have no idea about the relationship between volts and amps. The transformer would still be having too much current drain on it. What stupid people there are about. [Frown] Leave it as it was designed. Unless you are sure the safety etc of the machine can be maintained.
Kev [Smile]

--------------------

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2004 05:06 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
"The person or company who converted it wrapped a further turn of wire round the transformer to increase the voltage to the lamp.
They obviously have no idea about the relationship between volts and amps. The transformer would still be having too much current drain on it. What stupid people there are about."

Another reason we had to go to lethal injection in this country because people burst into flames in the electric chairs...probably modified by the same fellows.

It's worth noting that there are two "different" designs of the EJL lamp. The Sylvania and GE have different mirrors. Back when that sort of thing was important, many prefered the "multi-mirror" of the Sylvania lamp over the GE.

I never made any measurements so it might just be one of those things that techies like to argue about.

John

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC