8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Scars of Dracula... feature info????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scars of Dracula... feature info????
Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2004 06:13 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this film was released by Derann in black & white and in color; but what was the length? A 4X400'???. I just bought a two 800' edition on eBay from the guy in Germany(with perfect feedback I might add)that was described to be in "EXCELLENT CONDITION!!", it has an o.k. first reel(although the first 10 minutes or so are riddled with some very annoying multiple scratches). The 2nd reel looks like it was spliced(stitched)together by Dr. Frankenstein! At least 8 splices(not that I mind splices,they're good ones...) with varying color and overall picture quality bouncing back and forth, as though it was cut together from different prints. I really wanted a GOOD, complete copy of this film, does anyone know if the one originally made by Derann was consistent throughout? Thanks

--------------------
Joe Taffis

|  IP: Logged

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2004 01:07 AM      Profile for Heinz-Juergen Schachner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

as far as I know there have been two different versions of "Scars of Dracula" from Derann. One was a slightly abridged version (4x120m) and one was the full feature (5x120m). I have heard that the quality of the full feature is much better than the quality of the abridged version, with the full feature having vivid colours and excellent focus. I think it was the same with "Vampire Circus".

Best Wishes

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Germany

Ralf Hoff
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2004 01:22 AM      Profile for Ralf Hoff   Email Ralf Hoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Joe,

the answer from Mr. Schachner is right. Derann released this film in different versions. The 4 x 400 ft Version I have own for many years. But I like full features and when derann offers the full lengt version (5 x 400 ft) I sold the 4parter to mr. foster. But now I have nothing, because derann canceld the feature before I ordered. Mmmmmhhh. Now I searching for a used full length Version.

Derann also released a 1x400 ft Version of this title. I never seen it, but a friend told me that this version has some different footage.

I like the Hammer Dracula movies. I also search for taste the blood of dracula. I owned a 1x400ft Version but I think there will be a 4x400 ft version. Does anybody know about this.

Ralf

--------------------
Arbeits- & Interessengemeinschaft Celluloidfilm
Ehrenamtlich im Einsatz für das Film-Hobby

Cine 8-16
Das Magazin rund um den perforierten Film
www.celluloidfilm.de

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2004 01:24 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann released the full length Scars of Dracula about ten years ago. I thought it was 3x600ft. The print was pretty damned good too.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2004 04:48 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought the 4x400 version when it was first released around 1976. Parts two and four were very good quality wise but one and three were darker with less detail. The colour balance was significantly different as well. After a few viewings the sloppy editing became apparent, so the full-length version is the one to go for. John is right, the print is very good.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2004 11:49 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Feature print is great much better than 4x400 which ironically was Derann's best selling film ever.

Ralf Hoff
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2004 04:11 AM      Profile for Ralf Hoff   Email Ralf Hoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Joe,

in Mr. Paul Fosters latest list there was the full feature version of Scars of Dracula (4 x 600ft). I want to order it but it was already sold. Are you getting the copy???? [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

If so you are a lucky man. Have fun with it.

Ralf Hoff

--------------------

Cine 8-16
www.celluloidfilm.de

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2004 07:37 AM      Profile for Heinz-Juergen Schachner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
Paul Foster seems to have bought a really big collection. Nearly all the Hammer Horror movies are listed on his homepage. The prices are about 160 English Pounds, which is really a lot of money. All prints are described being in "A" condition. I have bought some prints from Paul Foster in the past and did not have much luck with his prints. Some had even green scratches though they were stated as "A". Paul Foster has always taken the prints back for credit, but the postage fees were lost.

In my opinion the most reliable used prints seller is Ian O'Reilly from Perry's Movies. I can always trust the descriptions of his prints blindly. This is my personal experience from many purchases in the past.

Best Wishes

Heinz-Juergen Schachner
Germany

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2004 06:49 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Ralf and H.J., I also saw this on Paul's list but I don't know who got it, I haven't heard back from him yet. I've bought films from both Paul and Ian and I was very pleased with the service from both. *Just received word from Paul that I didn't get either of the items I wanted...congrats to those who did...*

[ April 09, 2004, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Joe Taffis ]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Ralf Hoff
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2004 08:28 AM      Profile for Ralf Hoff   Email Ralf Hoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Joe,

I get the features of Hands of the ripper and Dracula has risen from the grave from Paul and they were in top condition. So have two more films in my hammer collection. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

But the Scars of Dracula are still missed. I think this is one of the most wanted features on S8.

PS: Yesterday I saw the new Version of Dawn of the Dead and I like it better than the original from the 70's, because the dead People (zombies) moving faster and so they are more terryfing.

Ralf Hoff

--------------------

Cine 8-16
www.celluloidfilm.de

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC