8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Help from a film handler please re-mould!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help from a film handler please re-mould!!!!
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 18, 2004 11:55 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would like some advise please, i only own a very small handfull of 16mm films and i was showing off to a mate of mine and took out a copy of Mash,its quite a late copy, and i was a bit surprised and shocked to find looking at it side on it has quite a bit of mould on it all over. none of my 8mm has this problem.
This particular film is kept in a heavy card type brown film box,
the room is always cold but there is no damp within the room at all. Do i need to simply treat the film,i only have Deranns LPC but am about to send off for a can of Filmgaurd, or as someone once told me simply project the film and it will clear? The later sounds odd as i would be putting the crap off the film and straight into the projector. [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2004 01:06 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a fungus that will form naturally over time.More so if keptin old cardboard cartons.It is quite harmless and a quick application of a proprietary film treatment will stop it re-forming.Do this on a seperate rewinder though,oron yourprojector rewind.
Finally,invest in a nice new plastic type can/carton.
Check out Bristol Cine Supplies or The Widescreen Centre in London who supply these items.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 19, 2004 05:23 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom about the best thing to use is thermofilm, the derann one will warp acetate stock, sometimes quite badly, its great on poly prints but generaly all acetate prints will suffer something that looks a bit like dry out warp or side curl.
I`ve had that with film renew as well on old Black and white but not as bad, but with thermo film though not as good as before is still about the best and sorts the mould well.
Best Mark.

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2004 09:04 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Thermofilm would be ideal Tom, If you can get any.
PS. if you can, get me 1 or 12. [Wink]

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2004 11:22 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thermofilm available here!!

LG Pearce, Lelant House Royston Grove Hatch End Harrow Middx. HA5 4HD. Tel/Fax 02084213666

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2004 11:29 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Has Larry cooked up another batch? When I enquired recently he told me no more was available

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2004 03:11 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How well does he know you?

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2004 05:25 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh!! So it's an under the table job to regulars. Not fair [Frown] i want some, i need some.

--------------------

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2004 05:26 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh!! So it's an under the table job to regulars. Not fair [Frown] i want some, i need some.

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 20, 2004 02:11 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone, i shall heed the advice and breathe a sigh o light relief. [Wink]

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 20, 2004 07:12 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Do not use Derann's LFC as there is evidence that this could cause damage to acetate prints. I will not go into this any further at the moment as i am about to conduct some tests which might result in a court case. [Frown]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Ian O'Reilly
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2004 04:08 AM      Profile for Ian O'Reilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry has been running out of Thermofilm for the last 6 years, ever since we had the shop together at Harrow.
The problem is the cost of Chemicals and Cans to sell it in, the profit margin was very tight and Larry was doing it for a service to the collectors and not for profit.
Themofilm is by far the best product on the market for cleaning / protecting film from scratching, although it does not remove scratches it certainly enhances the film.
What I suggest you all do is bombard Larry with phone calls and letters requesting the return of this great product, but don't tell him I let you into this secret.
So go on get phoning after all he hasn't got a lot else to do excecpt swim in his olympic size pool,. and stroll around the grounds of his mansion. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2004 06:51 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Collectors outside UK and Europe would be better to write to him rather than phone unless Larry wants to talk to someone in Sanfranciso at 3 am in the morning wanting Thermofilm!! [Roll Eyes]

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2004 03:01 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great advice to hassle Larry for Thermofilm. I've got a stock to keep me going quite a few years but still want more. Get to it lads - let's put Thermofilm back on the market.

P.S. It's also a nice cocktail mixer (hic!).

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC