8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Tape Or Cement Splices

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tape Or Cement Splices
Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2004 03:09 AM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was just wondering what the consensus was on using cement or tape on splicing.
I use a CIR tape splicer; it is quick easy and gives me good splices, is there is anyone using cement, and why?

Chris. [Razz]

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 22, 2004 09:19 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer to splice with cement wherever I can get away with it (as in acetete based film) because a well done cement splice is stronger and for some reason I can never be mid-blink when the tape splice Zig Zag passes through the gate. I realize nobody else in the room gives it a second thought, but it bothers me. (Maybe if it was somebody else's film, I wouldn't know there was a splice so I wouldn't look for it!)

I've found that tape splices don't hold up over the long haul. The adhesive gradually loses it's stickyness, and the splice spreads.

All that being said, the existing splicing cement doesn't work at all on Polyester stocks, so in those instances, it's either tape or forget about it!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Ronnie Coeuhant
Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2004 10:05 AM      Profile for Ronnie Coeuhant   Email Ronnie Coeuhant   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good cement splice is strong, almost invisible, and will run through the projector smooth. Good cement splicers include Hammann, Zeiss Ikon, and Bolex. The Hammann and Zeiss cuts the film instead of grinding it.

I bathe my films regularly with FilmRenew. Tape splices will not hold with this solution.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2004 01:21 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ronnie.

Why do you bathe your films?

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 22, 2004 02:13 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps he doesn't like dirty movies!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Ronnie Coeuhant
Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2004 05:24 PM      Profile for Ronnie Coeuhant   Email Ronnie Coeuhant   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use FilmRenew sold by Urbanski Films. This is only for films that are brittle and showing signs of mildew or fungus growth. The film is immersed in the solution for 2 weeks in the metal can. Then I use my Elmo ST-180 with a film cleaner attachment to wipe the film clean and remove the excess solution.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2004 10:24 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I don't mean to knock cement splices because i've never used them and maybe they're better, but i've been using ciro(2 frame)tape splices on my films since they were available around here; must be back in the late 1970's or early '80's(replacing the "Quik-Splice"(4 frame)tape splices already in place on my films to that point). When made well,they too are strong, hold up well, are hardly noticeable, and pass through the projectors I have used(Kodak, B&H, Chinon, and Elmo)quietly. I'm not just talking splicing 200 and 400 footers together and such...i'm talking MANY, MANY splices used to edit MANY, MANY scenes in super 8 features and shorts that I shot as far back as the early 1970's. AND...they're still just as good when I show the films today, AND...i've never had to bathe them in anything.... [Wink]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2004 09:28 AM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer cement splicing, if only because to me they are much more fun to make. Using a good B+H (later known as a Maier Handcock) splicer it is just so enjoyable to make a good splice. I too like to treat my films with FilmRenew, Vitafilm and other products. Cement splices are best for those film treatments. However, when you cannot use a cement splice due to polyester film or plastic leader, a good tape splicer works nicely too. For prints I like the metal Fuji splicer, for originals I prefer the Wurker for nearly invisible splices at edit points.

David M. Leugers

--------------------
Live Free or Die

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC