8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » My new Elmo GS1200 .....problem..maybe? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: My new Elmo GS1200 .....problem..maybe?
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 26, 2004 10:25 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. I have recieved the unit and it is very, very clean. However, when I power up the unit the light bulb is very dim. With the Halogen lamp, is it like a regular bulb in that once it needs replacing the filament doesn't light up at all? Or if its old, will it give me a very dim light?
And second, the speakers pop when I click from optical to magnetic sound. How do I clean this puppy in order to get it to stop popping? Thanks for any advice-

|  IP: Logged

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2004 10:40 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rik --

Halogen lamps work like regular light bulbs -- it will simply burn out, not dim down... Sounds like you might have a power supply problem...

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 26, 2004 10:50 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I think popping or a crack sound is quite usual when switching from optical to magnetic on many elmos I wouldn`t worry about that.
Best Mark.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 26, 2004 10:52 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess its off to Leon.......grr...

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2004 12:07 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure you have the right lamp in the projector before you ship it off. You can also read the voltage on the lamp socket and see if there is a problem there.

You'd be amazed at the number of projectors I've run across where the wrong lamp has been installed. There was even a batch of 16mm Elmo 16CLs where they all had the wrong exciter lamp (and very low and poor sound as a result).

John

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 26, 2004 12:08 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan,
Try another bulb. If you still have dim light it means the bulb is only getting the standby preheating voltage (about 3 volts?). It could be a problem with the yellow light switch not contacting properly, or a problem with the power supply.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 26, 2004 01:12 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Problem Solved! I had the switch set to ESS on the back of the machine. OOpsss!
Thanks for the advice. Now I feel a little stupid.... [Frown]
Hey my handle is expert film handler..not expert projectionist!

[ March 26, 2004, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Alan Rik ]

Colin Preston
Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2004 04:17 PM      Profile for Colin Preston   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan
On the 'Pop' side of things when switching sound sources, mine also gives this [Eek!] loud [Eek!] Pop. I would assume that this is quite normal. Maybe Kev or Ugo could shed some light as to whether or not this should be something to worry about?

Col

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2004 06:52 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan,
My advice is to wait for Kev to reply before you do anything.

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2004 01:46 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan
for my poor english I'm not sure to understand your problems.
Did you check the voltage setup? did you change the lamp with a new ESC or EJL? Are you sure the lamp inside isn't a EWF (horrible lamp for the S8)?

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2004 02:41 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugo

Paul Foster sold me one of these EWF! Why so bad?

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2004 05:51 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because isn' able to give the right light circle at 32mm of distance from the film gate (super 8 standard). I don't remember the technical information but I think this value is about 50mm (!) for the EWF.
Do you mount your EWF on a super 8 projector? What's the projector?
The EWF has the same filament of the ESC (cc-6), but the test results the dimension of the filament is not the more important thing for the performances of a dicroic lamp.
EWF and ESC: filament cc-6
EJL and ELC: filament cc-8

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2004 07:12 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugo, what's cc ? Cubic capacity?? [Confused]

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2004 10:12 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think an industrial code. Look here:

http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/ejl_ansi.html

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Ronnie Coeuhant
Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2004 12:20 PM      Profile for Ronnie Coeuhant   Email Ronnie Coeuhant   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a summary from Dons Bulbs:

GS-1200 Bulbs

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2004 01:19 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike wrote:
"Ugo, what's cc ? Cubic capacity??
Mike"

Mike,

Back in the dark ages (maybe even into the 1950s) lamps were not identified with a three letter code. Back then lamps were known by an arcane series of letters and numbers each of which described a part of the lamp. The CC-6 and CC-8 are filment designs, in additon there were glass blub sizes, base types (SC) for single contact (DCB) for dual contact bayonette, etc. Finally between the SMPTE and the ASA, a three letter code was worked out that identified a lamp and made it easier for consumers to order a DFY instead of a T3, etc etc.

In the modern EJL/ELC lamps with it's own reflector it worth looking at the spec sheets whic specify the distance from the rim of the lamp to the aperture. As I recall the EJL is 32mm since I made up a jig to position a new lampholder in an old Eiki projector that had used DDB lamps. Lamps designed for 35mm slide projectors are even futher back to get a light cone to cover the 24x36mm picture.

If you use a lamp designed to cover the 16mm aperture of .380 x .286 inches, you'll waste light inside your projector that will never get to the Super 8 frame.

John

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2004 01:29 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, Ronnie, Ugo. Thankyou

What a great forum this is, so much knowledge out there.

Mike. [Smile]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 28, 2004 04:50 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan,
The click or should I say pop you hear is quite normal on the Gs when you switch from mag to opt. Nothing you can do about it unfortunately. Its due to other circuitry thats switched into play and the voltage being applied to th exciter lamp.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 29, 2004 01:48 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugo,

I haven't tried it yet-it was a spare bulb and at some point I will run the test that Kevin did on the EJL/ESC to see what it gives out. The reflector is not smooth but has a golf ball like effect. Should be interesting!!

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Dave Gill
Junior

- posted April 25, 2013 12:38 PM      Profile for Dave Gill   Email Dave Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is an old thread, but posting here because I am having the same issue as the OP. My GS1200 powers on okay and everything else works properly except the bulb will not go to the bright and brightest settings when you move the selector. The bulb is getting 3volts when the selector is in all three positions.
How can I bypass this or fix?

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted April 25, 2013 12:40 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you pushing in on the hi/low switch when you change it?

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2013 03:04 PM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this problem when I got my GS1200 a couple of years ago and it was a fuse that had gone. It's a little tricky to find as it's sitting at a angle so you only see it sideways, but if you change it the lamp will work perfect again.

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Dave Gill
Junior

- posted April 25, 2013 04:46 PM      Profile for Dave Gill   Email Dave Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pasquale, Yes, and I went as far as removing the small little bracket behind the selector switch so you don't have to push it in order to move to the brightest position.

Lars, I took the back cover off on speaker side and saw the 3 or 4 fuses on on the upper circuit board, and I checked all of them closely and none are broken. Did I miss a fuse for the bulb somewhere else? Where is this fuse you are talking about?

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2013 05:57 PM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you missed it. Under those four fuses, and to the right of the fan-motor, there is a small square thing, and on the right side of that, towards the back of the machine, there is a fuse. It sits facing the right so it's hard to see. But thats the one. Even if it looks okay, change it anyway. It looked perfect on my machine and not broke at all, but as soon as I changed it the light worked perfectly again.

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Bruce Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2013 09:05 PM      Profile for Bruce Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave - Check the fuses with a multimeter. Just looking at the fuse may result in the wrong answer.

--------------------
Bruce Wright

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC