8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » SUPER 8 TRANSFERRED TO 16MM..POSSIBLE?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SUPER 8 TRANSFERRED TO 16MM..POSSIBLE?
Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2004 03:54 AM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi eveyone, I need some HELP! I have made a short film, running 8 mins long. It turned out better very well! shot on black and white tri x reversal stock. The problem, i have come across is MOST compitetions want dvd or video, and SOME on 16mm. NONE on super 8. The serious Compitetions want dvd. WHat shall i do? I sent the film to a local san diego transferring company, and YUCK!!! I received garbage, the film is shot with many dark scenes which on film, look INCREDIBLE. I worked hard to keep a look, which was lost when "transferred"...for the light meter on the digital camera they used would work to readjust back and forth, making the picture grainy and BLACK! There must be somewhere somehow, Where I can have my gem LOOK on dvd like my film does projected? Also, IS it possible to make a PRINT from the super 8 negative onto 16mm? I know the run at a different speed, Man, I am at my wits end. Compitetion deadlines are approaching..help! hugs, rob

|  IP: Logged

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2004 04:54 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
www.andecfilm.de
They blow up the S8 to 16mm or 35mm.

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2004 01:18 PM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Ugo, Ummmm, I will translate thier site into english... I will contact them. But, does anyone know of a place in the U.S>, which may blow up super 8 to 16mm? Thanks...help... rob

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2004 04:11 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Well there are places that MIGHT be able to do this, but since you shot a reversal stock there isn't much range in contrast to do this. Since you're in San Diego, take your problem to Super8 Sound in Burbank and see what they say. Also check Yale Film Labs in Burbank as they still do Super8 work.

A quality transfer would require that you find a post production house that has a super8 gate for a Rank and do a supervised transfer. Profession transfer houses charge $350 an hour and up and that's not running time of the film, but the time in the suite with the colorist.

Normally we'll spend a week doing a tv movie and a feature is often a two week job (those are 40 hour or more weeks).

John

Stephen Kent Jusick
Junior

- posted April 12, 2004 02:01 PM      Profile for Stephen Kent Jusick   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Broadsky & Treadway will do a great Rank transfer to video for you. Look at www.littlefilm.com for more info. It won't be cheap.

For Blowups to 16mm or 35mm, you can try Bill Brand, BBOptics
http://www.bboptics.com or the lab Cineric. Both are in New York City.

Hope this helps!

SKJ

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2004 04:26 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. I agree. The way to go is not just having your film blown up to 16 mm. The best way imho is to have it professionally telecined with a scene by scene light correction (supervised). This offers better results than a one-light optical blow-up to a larger format by the way.
Usually a supervised rank transfer with correction takes about three times than the running time of the film being transferred. As for B&T I don't know if they actually transfer via Cintel. But the directions you've been given shoud make a good starting point.
Good luck for your competition.

--------------------
Maurizio

Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2004 12:00 PM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephan, THANKS so much for the info, i will be calling TODAY! thanks Mau for the best wishes.....rob

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2004 12:16 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert

Since you're in San Diego, you might want to contact The Transfer Station in Reseda CA since you could drive up and supervise the session. It's just been my experience that only the filmmaker really knows what the scene should look like.

John

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC