8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Most Suitable lamp for GS 1200?/Xenon Conversion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Most Suitable lamp for GS 1200?/Xenon Conversion
Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2004 02:45 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello to all,

I have a second edition GS 1200, and have read some interesting disscussion regarding lamp brightness for this machine.

Recently, I purchased a 200watt ESC from Derann, to replace the ELC 250 Watt lamp, but understand that their are other lamps that are more suitable for the GS?
I'm a little confused if the ELJ is superior to the ESC?

Also there has been some chat, regarding a xenon conversion for the standard GS configuration? Is this possible and is it recommended with standard GS parts? Can this damage the machine?

Please help out if I have my thoughts correct, and if a xenon lamp is used? If not, is it some other type of lamp used in the conversion that provides striking brightness for film presentations.

Best,
Mike

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

|  IP: Logged

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2004 03:07 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Michael --

I belive you want to use a real ESC whenever possible because it has a mirror desigined for Super 8 use. Failing that, you can use the EJL 200W lamps. A lot of people have said that the ELC doesn't work very well because the power supply can't keep up with it.

As for Xenon -- I seriously doubt there's a Xenon conversion kit for the GS-1200 . I've heard of a MARC 300 conversion kit for the GS (I think out of Germany), but the lamp house for the Xenon is very different and I doubt that you could modify a standard GS to use a Xenon lamp...

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2004 03:18 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,
I too get a little lost in the lamp debate, but i think i am right in saying that the EJL is just a good substitute, really a 16mm lamp that does the job. The ESC is the correct lamp for the GS but are hard to come by, I believe the way to check is that the ESC has four loops to the element and the EJL 5 loops.
I think there are people who have done conversions to an arc lamp. but this requires a separate transformer. There are other forum members who will tell you all the technical details of the lamps, etc., and what you would need for an arc lamp conversion, though i believe quite technical to do. I wouldn't try.

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted April 05, 2004 03:37 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You probably dont want to go with a Xenon conversion when you can go for an HTI conversion. With a 250 watt HTI, you get a light that is almost twice as bright as the standard Elmo GS1200 Xenon. However you will need a separate power supply for the lamp, an additional fan, and also a way to protect the film.
Ugo, one of the members here has done this conversion and it was a success. However he did have to disconnect one of the speakers to the GS in order to do so. If you are running your speakers through an amp then that should not be a problem.
I have asked him to write a manual on how to do it! [Smile]
Seems like a pretty lengthy task however..

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2004 04:49 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan!
yes I remember your suggest to write a manual, but it's hard to find the time to do it!
Ehmmm... the 30 of June I'll get married! So in this period my attention is for other "little" things...
Anyway, don't worry: it will be one of my future project!
(It' a honor for me your suggest...) [Smile]
About the lamp.
Michael (De Angelis, well your family comes from Italy!), I think you bought a Radiacs lamp.
It's a good lamp, but in future you may buy a EJL General Electric (24 v. 200 watts, like the ESC). It works fine.
About the discharge convertion.
I did it. I used a HTI Osram lamp 250 watts/w32. There is not danger for the machine. The original Elmo GS1200 project was made for a discharge lamp: the halogen version is a "less power" version.

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 05, 2004 05:03 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ugo,
Since you displayed such subtlety in mentioning your upcoming marriage allow to me to offer an understated CONGRATULATIONS!
What film will you be projecting on your wedding night? [Big Grin]
Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2004 05:11 PM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you friends...!!!

Wedding night?
I think I will be so tired that probably a XXX rated film will be necessary [Big Grin]

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2004 05:22 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CONGRATULATIONS Ugo. I hope she is super 8 friendly!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Chris. [Wink]

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2004 06:21 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugo,

Does she know about the super 8??

Very best wishes.....

should have time on your honey moon to write up the procedure?

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Ronnie Coeuhant
Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2004 10:05 PM      Profile for Ronnie Coeuhant   Email Ronnie Coeuhant   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugo,

Congratulations! Just to warn you, converting your wife to super dooper 8 might not be as easy as changing a halogen GS-1200 to an HTI!

Best Wishes.

Ugo Grassi
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2004 06:57 AM      Profile for Ugo Grassi   Email Ugo Grassi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ronnie,
but my future wife is 70mm, not a super8!
She is very sharpness, she has beautiful colors, and a dolby digital voice (only in selected theatres!)...The only problem is that I don't find the switch to switch off the amplifier when it is not necessary... [Wink]

--------------------
Bye
Ugo

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC