8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » For the BFCC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For the BFCC
Dick Lee
Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2004 04:36 PM      Profile for Dick Lee   Email Dick Lee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys!

For the upcoming BFCC get together in May, is anyone or would anyone take some video of the get together and share it with we
poor lads across the pond. I've seen the pictures of it and it would be grand to see it in live action. I'd gladly kick in some $$$, and maybe some of the other guys would also. If enough of us would do that, someone could pick up a new print of their favorite film!

I have found a GS1200 that I might be able to pick up for the right price. [Big Grin] There are several questions that I wish someone
would help me out with.

Will the GS1200 take any Super 8 reel (spool)? I've read some of the threads and at different times you'll refer to Elmo reels as opposed to just Super 8 reels.

Does the GS1200 project both Mag and Optical sound?

What is this 1600" reel that I've heard about and do any of the dealers stock these or are they like replacement parts? I've always been prone to use the largest reels possible in order to cut down on the reel changes.

What is a fair price to pay for one of these fine machines? I know, for a cheap as possible, but can you put a pound or dollar amount to it?

Does anyone know the time diff. between UK and East Coast US?

That's all for now, hope to hear from you soon. Dick

|  IP: Logged

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2004 06:09 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dick,

phew, lots of questions and I will do my best!

The time now in the UK is midnight and in New York it is 7pm.

The GS should take any kind of super 8 reel (not sure about Eumig reels) and the Elmo reel is beloved of Elmo fanatics because it is Elmo . They are of very high quality though.

the 1600ft reel is basically the same physical diameter as a 1200ft reel but with a smaller core to allow the greater capacity. Most I have seen have been heavier than a 1200ft reel and with the extra film weight there is a school of thought that they place a strain on the motor. Well, Elmo's are built well and so long as the motor is in good shape you should be ok. Dealers do carry stocks from time to time and in the UK they are around £14.

GS1200's do change hands in dealers at circa £1000 to £1200 though I think the price is falling. On ebay in Europe they can be had for as little as £500 from time to time though the average is around £800 (Ugo normally sneeks in and is trying to dominate the world market !!!)

As far as I know all of the GS machines do optical and magnetic.

You probably know that the later GS models have lines on the control knobs (earlier models have dots) and the film loop runs backwards and not forwards under the lens. Again personal preference here and I have seen a super earlier model machine (Mike P and Chris Q) which ran better than my later model.

Guide wear is an issue but easily tackled and Ugo has loaded photos of this on another forum - if you search for GS1200 on this forum you will find a wealth of information from people more highly qualified to give it than me.

Hope this is of use.

Tony

p.s. Gladly have a go at some video but not sure that if I brought out one of these machines at the BFCC I would not find myself burnt at the stake!

--------------------
Tony

Dick Lee
Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2004 08:03 PM      Profile for Dick Lee   Email Dick Lee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony:

Thanks for the quick reply and the great info. Surely when the guys find out what your doing, they won't make it too warm for you. I know I would certainly appreciate it. I have a friend here in town that would kill for a look at your film convention.
It would be like water to a dehydrated man.

What is the name of the forum and or the address?

Thanks again for the input Dick

Have you ever used the 1600' reel? There used to be a company that put out a stand alone set up that used 1600' reels on a counter rotating spindle. I have a feature that is still mounted on the reels. They're funny reels in that they have a 16mm style center hole but there is a key that you have to move into the spindle to secure the reel.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2004 02:07 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick,

Details can be found at www.bfcc.biz where you will also find still photo's of the event.

If I am able to do any video filming then pls don't expect professional results or editing due to a lack of time!!

1600ft reels. Yes I have a couple of these and they seem to work fine although they are not as easy to keep "in true" as the 1200ft variety. They look and feel like a traditional reel and I can send you a photo of one if you would like.

Tony

--------------------
Tony

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2004 02:16 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been talking to Keith regarding putting out an official BFCC video. There has been much footage taken over the years and particularly at the last even the Cinerama lecture came out very well.

Keith has it on the slate for a future production - we must just remember to finally film the erection of that damned enormous screen.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Dick Lee
Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2004 10:10 AM      Profile for Dick Lee   Email Dick Lee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony:

Thank you for the info, I've been to the BFCC web page and it is one of the best pages I've ever seen.

I'm not sure what you mean by "keeping in true". Does that mean that they warp from the weight?

I would appreceiate a picture. radnet3@cox.net

Any video would be looked upon with a tremendous amount of appreciation.

Thanks

Dick

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2004 12:05 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Dick [and welcome]!

I think by 'keeping in true' Tony is refferring to the reels tendency to move from side to side as they rotate. I have a couple and I tend not to use them much because their tendency to 'weave' means that the film is pulled from one side to the other as it enters and exits the machine and probably suffers for it, it also makes a terrible squeaky noise [Eek!] .

Don't be put off though, as with everything on this forum, what one of us can't get on with another is fanatical about [Wink] .

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2004 02:03 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "squeaky" noise from these reels can be corrected by bending them outward slightly.

Anyone who gets piccies at the next BFCC email them to me and I'll endeavour to get them up on the site. We never seem to get enough pictures outselves - there always just seems to be too much to do.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2004 02:29 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

I am quite happy to try and do some stills and some video at the event.

Will try and get a soft focus lens for Mr O'Reilly

Tony

--------------------
Tony

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2004 10:26 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tony. That will be more than welcome. Perhaps then we can somehow get some video to our film collecting colleagues in the rest of the world. Just posting an AVI or MPG for download on our web site would do the trick.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC