8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Meet Me in St.Louis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Meet Me in St.Louis
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 06, 2004 12:19 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Meet Me in St.Louis" DVD has just been released here (April 03). It is a wonderful 2-disc special edition with a whole disc of extra behind the scenes material. For us Super 8 buffs it's main virtue is that the sound track has been digitally re-mastered in Dolby 5.1. So for anyone, such as myself, who is lucky enough to posess the really stunning Derann print of this film, there is now the opportunity to re-record the print in stereo, and get a far superior sound track than the mono track from Derann. I shall be doing just this over the next few days. I am sure the result will be awesome. An alternative would be to dub the audio commentary (by Garland Biographer John Fricke) onto track 2 only, and just re-record the film track mono onto track 1. You could then playback the film with ,or without, commentary.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2004 01:22 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tough decision, perhaps you should buy another print so that you can do both [Wink] .

Let us know how you get on with the re-recording, now that I have one of Pedros units I'm planning to do a bit myself but haven't summoned up the courage yet!

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2004 04:51 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

Since you're in the US, what do you do. Lock your projector to a crystal at 23.97 and play the dvd or do you take a pulse from the dvd and use that to control the projector?

I'm curious since when we dubb a movie for theatrical release at 24 fps and then do a video transfer, we lay the sound track down at 23.97 which is the NTSC rate for 24 fps for color video at 29.97.

John

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 07, 2004 12:48 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John,
No nothing that sophisticated I'm afraid. I use the "Wild-synch" method which is manual synching of a projector with a precision speed control( Eumig 926/938), to DVD video on the TV. It takes a lot of time and patience, but I have got good at it over the years and can usually knock out a 2400ft feature in about 8 hours. The results are so good that I feel the effort is well worth while. I do posess a couple of GS1200'S , which I know have pulse-synch capability, but I don't have the necessary equipment to do it this way. In any case I prefer the Eumigs for recording because they are so easy to use and produce spectacular quality stereo sound recordings.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC