8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Superman one 2 x 400 re record?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Superman one 2 x 400 re record?
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 11, 2004 03:49 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have the 3 x 400 superman the first movie with the additional 200ft extract parts cut all together in order, the picture is quite good but the sound,although quality is fairly good, has so much volume variation in the parts spliced in we were wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of anyone who could do a re-record on this title?
Has anyone done this succsessfully?
any idea on costs?
thanks [Razz]

|  IP: Logged

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2004 05:30 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom.
I have done what you need several times, with a difference though: when the print was a digest (as seems to be your case), I only recorded in the parts relative to the dialogues, by programming the auto rec facility of my Bauer T610. This was necessary because of the gaps (missing scenes) of the digest compared to the full length version. The system I concocted encompasses an automatic fade-in/fade-out for each dialogue portion, so as to make it practically seamless with the parts left untouched of the original soundtrack; background and surround effects are replaced by the Italian soundtrack. I must also add I did this primarily to be able to show my prints to an Italian speaking audience.

In your case the main problem is that you must re-dub all of your edited print, so as to make it even soundwise. The only way to achieve this, as I see it, is to edit a perfectly similar video version of you print, starting from a common videocassette. You'll need a professional facility to do this becuase the cuts must be frame accurate. At the end of the process, you'll be able to transfer the audio from the edited videocassette on your print (sync might be an issue if your prj doesn't run at exactly 25 fps). If you want, I can transfer the audio from the edited videocassette, and, if the magnetic track is consistent in quality, wear, width etc. you'll get a perfectly even audio output from it.

Good luck, and happy easter.

--------------------
Maurizio

Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2004 12:47 PM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi There Tom...Superman, re-recording? THAT IS EASY!!! I have been UNHAPPY witht he super sound since I discovered laser discs. Everything sounded bad compared to those guys. So, The first thing I ever attempted to improve was a rare print of BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN full feature. I thought it would be quite easy...WELL, I was in a panic, when I did not take inot account the splices and such from the negative used. BUT, A wonderful thing occured...i learned how to use my elmo gs1200 truly well. Since that first feature several years back, i have literally re-recorded EVERY piece I film i can...off laserdisc and If need be, dvd. I have some amazing SOUNDING films and digests... THE OMEN, THE WIZARD OF OZ, GIGI, BEN HUR, DR. ZCHIVAGO, TEN COMMANDMENTS, DRACULA, NEVERENDING STORY, CLASH OF THE TITANS, OMEN 2, EARTHQUAKE, POSIEDON ADVENTURE, TOWERING INFERNO, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK..THE LIST GOES ON AND ON...The process and long and envolved. I do, everything..from beginning to end. All perfectly Insync, and the music is mixed..and some amazing results. The OMEN for example....has some rare stereo music I was able to place back into the film, after it was edited out by the studio, but goldsmith WANTED in the film. I have total creative freedom to erase add , whatever I'd like , and so much FUN!!! Like I said alot of work...for each scene needs to be synced and recorded, and then the next scene as well, then all of them need to have the "mixing" gaps of sound filled in, with the appropriate track...whether dialogue or music. Needless to say....the end result is AMAZING!! You know what? VERY few know what that tiny little SUPER 8 magnetic TRACK can hold...IT truly rivals the discs . I'd rather watch my 400 ft THX stereo "sounding" RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK...then watch the video image with the great sound. I hope I help..or inspired...but, MAN, what a treat!

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2004 02:33 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, Robert, since you claimed it is so easy, and apart from the 'inspiration', how do you go when it comes to actually edit the sound track from video to S/8? Don't you have to go back and forth at least a few times for every cut scene of your digests in order to get the perfect sync? Do you never happen to let some undesired sound in the soundtrack?
The fact is it is neither fast nor an easy process. For the cleanest result the way to go is the one I described, unless you have access to some kind of NLE.
Hope this helps.

--------------------
Maurizio

Erkki Tikkanen
Junior

- posted April 11, 2004 04:01 PM      Profile for Erkki Tikkanen   Email Erkki Tikkanen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about just copy the sound to your computer with an Elmo GS 1200 and a P1008GS-U sync box from Pedro. Then you can fix the sound levels and tones with your NLE or some sound software, like Sound Forge. Then just back to the film track with the Elmo and sync box. THAT is easy!

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2004 04:55 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
This sounds a great way to bring these old digests soundtracks back to life, something i will be looking at. Is there a list of software that i could use as soundforge seems to have been deleted, although someone is trying to sell a version for £100+ on eBay, a bit expensive as the retail price was only £35.
Great thread, now i have more ideas.
Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2004 04:58 PM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MAu..it is VERY easy for me to do....been doing for so so long now. Ten years, I have a method how to di it...usually, On the forst attempt...Umm, At times, But, not that often anymore...I would have to try repeated efforts in getting everything just right! BUT, IT IS EASY to do! Simply, think about it, practise a bit, and Do it. I have re-recorded everything I own. So...there you go.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 11, 2004 05:24 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Robert 100%. Re-recording can totally transform the impact of super 8 film prints. As Robert says, the stereo quality that can be got off super 8 magnetic tracks is amazing- instead of thin muffled sound you get a full spectrum stereo track with rich stereo. I have re-recorded nearly all my MGM and Fox musical digests and shorts, greatly increasing the enjoyment of these little films. At the feature level, I have re-recorded Grease, Singin'in the Rain, High Society, That's Entertainment , That's Entertainment 3, Lady and the Tramp, First men in the Moon, Dracula, The Masque of the Red Death , Showboat, and Meet me in St louis. Most of these were dubbed from DVD which I find much easier to do than from VHS tape. The results are amazing-you get a real movie theater experience particularly with Cinemascope films. Like Robert, I find that there is simply no comparison in watching stereo re-recorded Super 8 versus DVD on a flat screen TV.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2004 07:22 PM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YEAH PAUL, I am NOT alone! I was beginning to think i was the only re-ecording nut! I agree with using tape..MUCH MUCH tougher, But, So glad when dvd came along. What is your favorite sounding digest? Mine is Raiders of the LOST ark.....AMAZING! Plus, It was so difficult to time the music without it sounding chopped up...My buddies Hate when I finish re-recording a digest or feature, and they are here for the debut. Because through out the whole running of the film...I find myself talking throughout the film..."It was so hard to time that scene"..or..."I ADDED that line, wasn't in the original recording"...or my favorite saying..."DO YOU HEAR that FIDELITY". After the film is over, they ask to see it again, but this time without my commentary! rob

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 11, 2004 07:56 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My best re-recorded digests are the MGM musicals, the best probably being the "High Society" double album (2 x 400ft) which is superb in stereo particularly Bing and Satchmo's rendition of "That's Jazz". The toughest film that I have had to re-record so far has been "Masque of the Red Death" (Roger Corman/Vincent Price/ Cinemascope). The problem was due to some subtle differences in the super 8 cut versus the DVD, but with a few judicous mixes it all turned out great and Vincent never looked or sounded better! Ain't super 8 great!!!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2004 08:52 PM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL...HEARING which was your toughest re-recording brought back BAD memories for me too. It was ALSO DERANN'S MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH! I used the laser disc, and I thought it would be soo easy. but, after the opening credits I KNEW i was infor trouble. That is one film, I would not like to repeat EVER!. Thanks Goodness...it turned PERFECTLY! As you know, the print is gorgoeus..and with the great sound...amazing stuff. that is what super 8 is about. I recently have purchased from Germany MURDER BY DECREE 2 400 ft, BLACK CHRISTMAS 3 400 ft.... and cant wait to re-record. The most fun and easy films to re-record are the marketing films. They USE SUCH long scenes...makes it easy to edit. The Dr. Phibes 2x400 was also very easy to record into english. Oh, I did forget...marketing films WAR OF THE WORLDS 3 400, and TIME MACHINE 3 400...SOUND AMAZING!! Years ago, I chatted with Ann Robinson about the war of the worlds...I asked her about the stereo track on the laser disc...she told me IT WAS ORIGINALLY released in STEREO...So, I came home found the laserdisc and redid my digest. WOW!! REally is cool. I could gone on and on...but i wont. hugs

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2004 03:59 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, guys!
I wasn't saying redubbing a feature is difficult. I have been doing this for the last nine years for that matter and I've always got excellent results myself. With a feature you only have to locate the start point and then keep the film in sync somehow, as everybody knows.
But it is very different if you have to re-dub a digest: in that case you'd have to re-sync at every cut or so. That's why to me the only way to go is to prepare a video digest version that be totally consistent to the S/8 and then transfer its audio to the film. Of course it is possible to re-equalize the existing audiotrack, but eventullay levels might match, tones might not.
And finally I agree 100% the quality of S/8 tracks can be amazing, when compared to original soundtracks of commercial S/8 films released during the 70's & 80's: the quality is not up to the possibility in those cases, as sound was probably recorded from poor quality mag intermediates on equipment which was probably not always up to spec etc. Hence the questionable sound quality of old prints. Yes, S/8 mag tracks can deliver great results, especially when recorded on higher-end machines, with high quality original sound. Imagine what we could have if development and researches didn't stop some 25 years ago!
Just my toppence.
Cheers.

--------------------
Maurizio

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 13, 2004 12:10 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for those replys, i must admit with only an St1200Hd and very basic recorder to hand i may give this a miss and pass the film on. [Wink]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC